+-

Author Topic: Hey Bilats! Brief me  (Read 3697 times)

blinky

Hey Bilats! Brief me
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Looking at bilateral resurfacing the first week in November. I got the recliner, the raised potty chair (some toilets too low, some okay), the grabber, the lifter, the boxer shorts, the silky basketball pants...I am lifting weights and swimming...

What else do I need? How will my experience be different from a single resurfacing? Yeah, I won't have a good leg to stand on, but tell me in detail what that means, please.

Thanks!

China Lady

Re: Hey Bilats! Brief me
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:56:24 PM »
.......now try to relax and "forget" it for a while. Maybe go on holiday?
..... I will find out

blinky

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
I hear ya.

Ironically, the idea of vacation is what triggered this post. My husband is looking ahead to when I am mobile again and wanting to schedule some trips. He was wanting to plan something for Xmas break. I said I was game, but didn't know how much I'd be able to walk. To manage his expectations, I said, how about something in easy driving distance for a long weekend. If I am doing well, great, if I am not doing well, we won't have much wrapped up in the trip. 

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »
"What else do I need?"

The most important thing of all--a Kodiac cold therapy ice machine with hip pad(s) [not sure if they make a bi-lat pad but you'll figure it out].

And, a large, heavy duty plastic garbage bag for sliding in and out of bed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:16:17 AM by Comfortably Numb »
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

Clarkefan

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
My only recommendation (I had mine done years apart, however) is to bring a few things to make the hospital stay more enjoyable.

1. Video games and movies on whatever portable device you have. (hospital TV selection is appalling) and I found reading "challenging" in that environment.
2. An extension cord since wall sockets are far from beds usually.
3. Ear plugs and an eye cover (sleeping in hospitals is hard enough).
4. A sense of humor... (I brought about 4 hats, swapped them out regularly), brought my own crutches and pimped them out with decorations and a bike bell (I laughed).
5. An electric razor if you don't want to look too scruffy.

Good luck!

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
 :) Hey Blinky.
Just be aware you may wake up with you bad leg (if you have one) better, and your good one worse. Not easy being a bilat,  give it a few months and it seems to work out well as it is only 1 recovery, Other than that lots of courage is needed. Good luck Blinky.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:17:56 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

moe

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
A helper and booze!  ;)  Good luck!  :)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

djganz

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 03:05:49 AM »
Hi Blinky,

I agree with having a helper, so you can take it easy. Be patient. Try not to do anything contrary to Dr Gross' instructions or add anything, small as it may seem, without checking with Lee Webb first, because one of the trying parts of recovery is wondering if you've done something wrong to injure or jeopardize your resurfacings when you experience ups and downs. Trust that Dr Gross has probably done things right, and check with Lee if you think something is wrong or if you have any questions. 

You might also ask Dr Gross, Lee, and the physical therapists if there are any common outcomes  that might be worrisome to you that they haven't told you about.  You'll see Dr Gross and/or Lee each day, and there's a daily group PT class in addition to your individual therapy, so you'll be able to.

Good luck!

Dean
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:05:44 AM by djganz »
LHR (62/56) 6/22/15, RHR (60/54) 6/24/15, Biomet, Dr Gross

Paul_D

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »
Hi Blinky,

Don't worry too much as with my experience bilat 5 days apart its not that bad. I was sitting in normal chairs about a few days after leaving hospital. The toilets were not that difficult, a bit scary at first getting up and down but I found by positioning a chair nearby it was easy to use to get up. Later I worked out with crutches but again after 2 weeks post op you should be fine without much aid.

You sound like a fit and healthy person and I bet you will be back into a normal life before you know it!

8  weeks now after operations and im walking up and down stairs no problems no crutches etc, A bit stiff but progress I see each week!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:46:35 AM by Paul_D »
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

blinky

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »
You guys are great!

Keep it coming.....

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
Another aspect of recovery (bilat or otherwise) is the mental / emotional response. I'm not sure there's anything you can do to prepare other than knowing it might happen. People - myself included - have reported feelings of anxiety, worrying that something may have gone wrong and second-guessing themselves about whether they made the right decision. The hip pain goes away immediately but for at least several weeks you are likely to experience pains and sensations that you haven't felt before.
Keep reminding yourself that this is normal and as others have advised, stick to the recovery protocols and don't hesitate to call Dr. Gross' staff or post a question on the forum if you need reassurance.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

MattJersey

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 03:16:49 AM »
Good points oldsoccerplayer. Reminded me of how, in the couple of weeks leading up to the op, my hip suddenly felt improved. I always had good days and bad, but it suddenly seemed like more good than bad, perhaps because of the exercise and preparations I was making, or more likely nerves, having some sort of subconscious effect.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

djganz

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
I don't know if other people experienced this, but at home, our freezer's ice maker couldn't make enough ice to fill the Polar Care unit (the equipment that ices your hips after surgery) even once. I think it took about 8 lbs of ice to fill it. You might need to have someone buy you a 20 lb bag of ice each day during the first week. This is another reason for having a helper, as you won't be able to drive during this time. There is an attachment they sell at the clinic which allows you to ice both hips at once.
LHR (62/56) 6/22/15, RHR (60/54) 6/24/15, Biomet, Dr Gross

Recent Posts

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by PalmettoGolfer
Yesterday at 10:35:21 AM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by BTMachine
January 26, 2022, 03:46:01 PM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by YetiKing
January 25, 2022, 10:54:16 PM

Are lighter loads for higher reps are safer post surgery? by Bubbish
January 25, 2022, 01:49:09 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal