+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Checking in -- my yoga photo  (Read 5791 times)

Juno

Checking in -- my yoga photo
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
hello all.... I just wanted to check in and show my recent yoga photo. I've come so far in the past two years and most can't believe I am a bilateral hip patient. I recently completed my 200 hour yoga teacher certification. My ROM and flexibility is really great and is getting better every day. I see constant improvement!! In this photo I am hopeful one day the hands will grasp the foot....just need a little more openness in the hips and to lengthen the psoas a bit more.

So glad to have my life back!! Getting my hips done was the best thing I've done for myself.

Juno

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:29:05 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

MattJersey

Re: Checking in -- my yoga photo
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:55:51 AM »
Wow. If that doesn't inspire Blinky, who is in the queue for bilateral, I'm not sure what will. Well done, and long may it continue.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:03:31 AM »
 :) Juno. Cool, excellent and wow!!! I had mine down April 2015 and I have passed the ROM that I had when I was about 25 already if not even better. I can never remember having a 120 deg flexion area in my life with stability. Never could ride a racing bike  well only just...... Thanks for the pict and checking in. When I am back up and running (excuse the pun) I mean real normal I'll put some picts up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:04:14 AM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

blinky

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »
Wow! Good timing to post this photo.

Juno

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »
Blinky --- you will do great. Just take your time, be respectful of your body and let it heal. Once you begin feeling better and are able to begin moving again (working out),  I recommend going slowly, try not to get frustrated and just know that with hard work and time the ROM does come back, as does the strength. I am really now, within the last few months,  just able to get my glute muscles to fire really effectively -- it's taken quite a while to do that.

I'm working on my splits too and I hope to be in a full split within 6 months 😊 Here's a photo of that -- I was able to do splits up until about 3 years ago so hoping it comes back with continued work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:58:26 PM by Juno »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
Juno
Thanks for sharing.  Gives people hope. Keep up the good work.

I shared your updates and photos on the new, updated website.

http://surfacehippy.info/junos-2-year-update/

Pat
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:28:09 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pfitz38

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »
Hello
Had my left hip resurfaced  by Dr Su  yesterday.  I am concerned ( yet grateful) over the lack of pain and discomfort.  I am sore but Tylenol seems to be the only thing I need to be comfortable. I have had less involved procedures in the past that I needed a few days of narcotics. Has anybody else had the same experience.  I also need my right done and would have done them both if I knew it would be this easy.

Peter.

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »
 :) Yep it can go like that Peter my right side no pain when done. Left side well that's a different story. Take the good while its going, you are lucky. Cheers K
Maybe start a new topic on this....... Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

pfitz38

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »
Thank you for your response. Wonder why one side can differ so much from the other. How far apart were your resurfacing?

djganz

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
Thanks for posting your pictures, Juno. That's wonderful!

As for the side to side difference, I asked Dr Gross about it and he couldn't explain it. He said it's not uncommon that when you do the same procedure to the same body part, bilaterally, you can get different responses. He said it's normal. For me, the right side seems perfect. (Although, it was the second one done, and initially was weaker than the left for about a week and a half.)  My left is my problem child, but it's improving.
LHR (62/56) 6/22/15, RHR (60/54) 6/24/15, Biomet, Dr Gross

JHippy

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
Juno, that's awesome! Very inspirational.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

shoraztri

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
Hi Juno,
That pic of you is incredible!! :D . Well done and you must have had a very disciplined recovery programme. All the Best for the future. Has given me plenty of confidence.
Cheers,
Kiwi Boyo.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Debcoco

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Hello Juno,

Wow!  Just incredible!  Thank-you for sharing both your pictures and your story.  Very inspirational and encouraging. I will have my other hip surgery (THR) in December and cannot wait for the pain to be gone.
Deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Juno

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »
Thank you for the kind words --- I really feel like a lot of the credit for how far I've come is due to Dr. Gross and his team....just more proof that finding the right surgeon makes a huge difference. It's also discipline, patience and practice....just keep at it day after day. It will say I have not returned to running, but I do just fine with 2-3 days a week of high impact aerobics, walking and weights.... I just alternate my Cardio and keep those workouts to about 30 minutes and not too much jumping. I find my body repsonds best that way.

Pfizt --- you asked about different sides....I can tell you that both of my hips are acting totally different. The right (the side that was done first and hurt for years) is still tighter and weaker than the left. I can't pull that knee tight to my chest when I'm lying down. Also, my inside thigh muscles are still not nearly as flexible (loose) as they were before the OA got bad. Just how it is.

surfhippy

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »
Hi Juno,
Congrats on your recovery. I'm now 25 weeks post op with Dr. Gross, and am starting to get active. I feel great, but I did surf for the first time yesterday, and was a bit reluctant to paddle into waves, due to weakness in surrounding muscles, and range of motion.. I think yoga is the next step for me as well. Inspired by your pictures, and I can't wait to take my first class. Cheers,
Mark
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

karlos.bell

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
Thanks Juno for your reply with the different sides.
Pfitz38 mine was a bilateral both sides.
I don't know, but the method that Dr De Smet uses to get into the joint properly is to release the piriformis muscle. Maybe a lot of surgeons do this I am not sure. He said my left there was some issue but yet this was the better side. Maybe I favored it better and it was stronger so it made the op harder.

With the injury and OA I had in the left I am assuming that the muscle length is too short now and or weak with regards to my external rotation muscles. It is getting better but real slow and I have to really work at it. That is climbing banks with my left leg, climbing stairs sideways left leg, anything that improves it. There is no one thing but a combination like Juno explains. Then back to the stretching etc. Pretty happy about it though can ride my bike now easy, and starting to lots of other good things.

Thanks Juno for your post and hopefully in a couple of years I could do the same to give others encouragement.
One thing I know it may never be right but it is heaps better than the hobbling mess I was in.
Cheers K

2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz