+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR and High Impact Running Kickboxing Wrestling BJJ MMA  (Read 10254 times)

Canadian-Ice

BHR and High Impact Running Kickboxing Wrestling BJJ MMA
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »
Hi,

I am 41 and like to do hill repeats, kickboxing, wrestling, mma etc.

Is there any new data on the effects of these kinds of sports on BHR longevity if implanted at the hands of a top surgeon?

CI

chuckm

Re: BHR and High Impact Running Kickboxing Wrestling BJJ MMA
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
I don't think there is direct data showing that relationship although someone might be trying to do a study like that.
If you look at the data from a top surgeon like Mr. McMinn, the reasons for BHR failures that he has implanted are not coming back with high impact as the cause. Things like avascular necrosis or other underlying problems are the cause, or even the rare hypersensitivity to the metals.
Early on when many surgeons were doing a poor job implanting BHRs, there was an argument that impact would cause a BHR to fail. But, really it was a poorly implanted device that the impact activity hastened the failure. And then the argument was that maybe it would have not failed had impact activities been avoided.
Most top surgeons are giving no restrictions on activity because they are not seeing a relationship between high impact activities and failure (provided the BHR is implanted properly).

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

jd

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
To add to that, Dr Gross' study looking into the correlation of various factors with failure showed absolutely no correlation to activity level. The only correlating factors were implant size and acetabular implant angle (with those two being related -- the smaller implants are OK, but have a narrower window of acceptable acetabular implant angle).

http://www.grossortho.com/Journals/MetalIonLevel-2013.pdf

moe

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »
I had a serious mountain bike crash on ice, fractured the femur at the neck and had to be rescued out of the woods. The BHR is still kicking and I'm still riding. Others here have had similar experiences. Many others have returned to full impact activities. If you want to return to impact activities the BHR is still the best option at this point in time.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
 Hi Can- Ice.
 Ok your 41... I was 41 when my issues started now 50. I would look at it this way... I have lost 8 years of of those 40's. Some of the best years of my life. Never get them back.
 Ok I did 50 mins hard biking yesterday mountain biking on the road, then a 2 k run just because now I can. That has been about 2 months since I started running I have about 7 months to go I reckon before I really can crank it up. Will the HR stand up to it. Doctor said to me you can do anything you want!!!!! So do you think I will muck around waiting anymore no man not on your life..... The BHR and or other resurfacing devices have a record if implanted correctly the survival rate is unknown. At this point it is 17 years plus for a bloke of your age at 95% success rate. I would assume Dr De Smets are the same. He has said it may last the rest of my life.... Spend 20 minuites of your time and listen to McMinn video.
http://surfacehippy.info/surface-hippy-patient-guide-to-hip-resurfacing-information-surgeon-information-and-patient-information-7/
Derek McMinn
He has even made up an alternative to just implant the cup when an Hr device wears out this guy is an engineer as well. Amazing  ok so I am going to go with give it heaps get my life back, no limits......... I am going to start training seriously for a 26km off road Fun Run soon, I never in my life thought I could get back to running.  good luck cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Dfalca

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
Forum,
I want to thank you all for posting. I am also a young 42-year-old male that is scheduled for a resurfacing next month. I played collegiate soccer as well as professional in Europe. This forum has allowed me to be very confident in how my postop rehab and what my expectations are. On top of all the research I have been doing I have also been selling orthopedic implants for the last 15 years. I have probably witnessed over 5000 different types of orthopedic, spine and neurosurgical surgeries but now that I am going under the knife I am extremely nervous. All the advice that you guys have written about has been enlightening and I can only hope that I have a great result like many of your posts.
Sccrdreamr

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »

Okay all this is really encouraging and great to hear. We are all in the same boat and what I really like about all you guys is the courage to live your life to the utmost. What I find with hill repeats is that they don't bother my hip at all for some reason. But yeah somedays it gets a bit painful.

How long does it take to recover from the surgery? Does BHR surgery put you off impact sports for a long time? How long to get back to stuff like yoga and swimming?

CI

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 07:27:48 AM »
Can-ice, your surgeon will give you a protocol for recovery and when restrictions are lifted. You can probably ask for it ahead of time with the caveat that it might change depending on how the surgery goes.
With Dr. Gross on the fast track protocol, all restrictions are lifted after 6 months, but I didn't feel quite ready at that point so I still eased myself back in to soccer. Even with no restrictions it can take a while to rebuild your muscle strength and (at my age) stamina.
Dfalca - welcome aboard. I never played at your level but 2 years post-op am back to thoroughly enjoying my Sunday morning pickup game. Hard to remember but it was probably closer to 10 months before I was back to my pre-op level, and in fact my game improved after I was fixed.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Dfalca

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:23 PM »
Osp,
So I would be happy getting back on the field in 10 months if I have even a little bit of quickness left... I have scoured online for a post op protocol but have been unable to really dial one in.. I have been in the gym consistently for the last 20 years but now in the last one year I have been unable to do much cardio vascular. Needless to say I have put on an extra 10 to 15 pounds. In my post op rehab I would like to start generating more cardio vascular output to drop this weight. Is this going to be possible? Have you guys seen a better postop if the patient is or has a lower BMI? Realistically I cannot ride a bike now but  how soon after surgery can I start cranking out some good cardiovascular output in the ways of low impact exercises?

karlos.bell

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:37:42 PM »
 :D May be practical Dfalca if you start a new post and see the replies. I am sure lots of experience out there to comment to help you. Copy that text and crank it away see what you get.
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
That's good to know, oldsoccerplayer. Six months seems pretty soon to have no restrictions, but I guess that means it's possible to do so safely as early as that. Doesn't Dr. Bose also have a 6 months period until restrictions are lifted? I thought I read that somewhere.

Karlos.Bell that is really interesting that Mr. McMinn has invented a replacement for a BHR that preserves some of the benefits of the device even after a revision? Also, good luck with those running ambitions.

It's great that no data correlating impact with failure. I do wounder if there are many people wrestling or practicing judo or BJJ or other grappling sports with a BHR. Lots of pressure and bangs on the legs and hips from all angles !

Paul_D

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 06:09:18 AM »
I would suggest that restrictions are dependent on the individual and situation. I am now 3 months after my bilateral surgery and I am without restrictions from Dr. Bose. The main advice I have is that if I start to feel pain, dont do it yet.
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

Clarkefan

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
I'm a part-time fitness instructor (cardio kickboxing, athletic conditioning, etc.) -- had both hips resurfaced. I found 6 months was a good basis before getting back to high intensity workouts. Dr. Mont has a series of exercises he prescribes and wants you to be able to perform them comfortably with a 10 lbs ankle weight before getting back to intense activity. They're difficult to do even with a healthy hip! It took about 6 months to reach that point, but that level of muscle strength gave me additional confidence.

karlos.bell

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
 :) Hi Clarke fan  how long was it from the time you found out you needed resurfacing to the time you got them? Cheers K
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

23109VC

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 11:57:44 PM »
Canadian-

I had my hip done by Dr. Gross almost 5 years ago.  My 5 year anniversary will be in Feb of 2016.

it changed my life. before surgery I limped all the time and was in 24/7 pain. my hip started hurting a *little* in my late 20s..it gradually got worse..very slowly.. it wasn't until about 35 that it really started limiting me... by 38 i was in 24/7 pain..even in bed trying to go to sleep. i lived on aleve...i took 6+ a day for years.

now I can do pretty much anything. i have gone snowboarding, played basketball, racquetball..jogged.. the only limitation I have found is running.  after a mile or two of jogging I get pain..caused my muscle tightness... chiropractic work helped it and extended how far I could run but i don't like running anyway.. so I don't care.  :)

i cycle a lot and do 10-20 mile rides regularly.. no pain .. zero.. nada.  and I crank the hell out of it... hill climbs..i've done mountain biking... massive uphill climbs..donwhill..no pain. 

i weight lift.  I do leg extensions, leg presses, no problems. 

recovery is not overnight.  Dr. Gross said 6 months before i start running.  i remember the first time i tried to run at 6 months and it felt weird.  1 year before any full contact sports.  i honestly think that i improved for about 2-3 years.... by 6 weeks i was walking all around with no limp and felt fine...so you are back up on your feet quick...and feeling good quick. but i can remember if I would sand on one foot to put a sock on.. and stood on the operative hip id' feel weird twinge...  that stuff was still there even 6 months out.. gradually all that stuff gets less and less...  feeling weird stuff when I did leg presses might be there a year out.. but then you build up strength and push though it...

if you do stuff like ice hockey... i bet you can be back doing it in a year if you go uncemented...but to be "like you were before" will be 1-2 years....

dot's wait too long to get it fixed. my mistake was waiting until i was in agony all day and all night .. i wish I had fixed my hip much sooner.

i always say, Dr Gross gave me my life back.  not kidding.. my life literally transformed from getting my hip fixed.  loving life!!

dr. gross has told me you can do anything you want on the hip.  so go kick box, MMA, jump off stuff.. I have been up on a ledge.. or on a high stool change a light bulb.. and just jump off .... never had a problem.  talk to Dr. Gross..he is great.  i know there are doctors out there who say don't run on any metal on metal implant..but Dr. Gross basically says you can do anything you want on it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:59:25 PM by 23109VC »
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:38:17 AM »
I am now a bilat hippy. After my first BHR in 2011 i went back to judo and did a few comps. I even took a bronze medal in one of them. I tried to get back on the mat a few months ago but my new hip just wasnt ready for judo at that stage so will be leaving that till next year and ill try again. I am however back boxing and by all accounts looking quite good ;)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »
Danny, glad to hear you are getting back to a more normal life. It's been a long journey for you.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
Thanks Pat its been a long hard road and theres a ways to go yet but im in no pain now! Its incredible how much pain i was in prior to my second one! I didnt really realise at the time
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
Just managed a 90min bjj class. Won't say it was totally comfortable but I got through it😉
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »
Hey Can-Ice.  I am a Gross hippy, and at six months I started back to regular activities....but, like another poster here, I've never been able to run past 1/2 mile without groin pain.

As for sports, I play tennis.  It took probably another six months before I felt like I was back to my old self......the start-stop and quickness take time to rebuild.

Now, while that may seem like an eternity for someone (like most of us) who have been active forever, it is just a fleeting moment when you look back on it.

Good luck to you!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM