+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What common reasons for NOT being able to have HR done?  (Read 2465 times)

claudia

What common reasons for NOT being able to have HR done?
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
Well previously stated in another post, I was supposed to have HR done 3 years ago but was unable to do so.  During the interim I can tell that the hip has gotten much worse.  To the point of barely being able to use the treadmill 20 minutes, limping and pain 24/7.  I am to the point where nothing is helping with the pain any more and am getting esophageal erosions from the motrin, naprosin, etc.  Heating pads, tens, no longer helping.  My fear is that the hip joint is in such bad shape that HR cannot be done.  With all things being equal in regard to bone density, etc 3 years ago, could the hip joint be in such bad shape that HR could not be done?

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

chuckm

Re: What common reasons for NOT being able to have HR done?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
First off, since three years ago Smith & Nephew has withdrawn the BHR in smaller sizes from the market and no longer indicates women for hip resurfacing. So the number of surgeons who can resurface women his much smaller now and they have to use another device.

I think Dr. Su, Dr. Pritchett, and Dr. Gross are all top surgeons who will resurface women. Send them your current X-rays and they will let you know.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »
Yes, get fresh X-rays and see what the joint looks like. I think  the biggest limiter will be cysts in the femoral head. If it is too eroded, you won't be a candidate.

jd

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
All good advice. Bottom line is to get new x-rays. I'd definitely pick Dr Su, Dr Gross, or Dr Pritchett (or multiple) as they seem to be the most likely to take on trickier cases (with success). They'll tell you if it's doable or not.

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
 :) You have done the right thing Claudia. Its your choice and surgery sometimes does not go so well. Don't look back and presume move forward and find new opportunities. Find a good doc. Read your other post I drive you if in the states. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Dessay

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Hopefully your films won't show much wear on your femoral head. My acetabulum is in horrible shape- torn labrum, cysts- but Dr. Gross was undeterred by those things. I've also got mild dysplasia and osteopenia, and he is still optimistic about my outcome. It's definitely worth a look!
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal