+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Soccer and more soccer!  (Read 4685 times)

Dfalca

Soccer and more soccer!
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »
Hello athletes,
I am about two weeks away from having my left hip resurfaced. I'm 42 years old played soccer all over the world played in college and have been humbled by this hip issue for the last four years. I am fired up to hear the success stories that you all post and me excited to get on with the procedure and rehab.
Does anybody have any great stories and bits of advice that you could share to help me get through the tough times that I see coming in the next month? Everything is appreciated thank you!
Can't wait to get on the pitch!
Cheers,
Dave

blinky

Re: Soccer and more soccer!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
Good luck! I am two weeks out and doing better every day.

Advice?

1) Ice ice baby. If anyone offers to bring you something, ask for ice. And keep icing several times a day to contain swelling. I have felt great, with swelling being my only complain.

2) Be patient with yourself. You are young and fit and likely to sail through this, BUT take it easy. Don't try to do more than the doctor says.

3) Be mindful of nutrition. You are eating to heal, so protein and fruits and veggies at every meal. And if you are on narcotics.....fiber.

4) Let other people do things for you. Easier said than done, but your job is to rest and get better.

5) Netflix.

6) X large silky boxer shorts

7) Keep your sense of humor. You can't control everything, you can control your reaction.

I havent had much pain at all. Weakness and wobbliness, yes, constipation yes. I made a great leap forward when I got home and so was in my own environment, when I went off narcotics and could poop and think  again, and now about ten days out as my legs are more under my control.

Dfalca

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
Thanks Blinky. I have been following your posts and will heed your advice. thank you :)

jd

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
Good advice blinky!

I'd agree on taking it easy too. My surgeon (Dr Gross)'s advice early-on was just to walk as much as I could / wanted to, and do a few simple exercises. I walked a lot, very early on, starting at 0.5 miles twice/day with two crutches starting 4 days post-op when I got home.

I definitely overdid it a little at times, and then just took a day to rest. Pay attention to your body and if things get too sore, just take it easy. Ice is your best friend for a couple of weeks!

Gazza2

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
Not sure I can relate to 'hello athletes', but I have just finished my second soccer season since having my left hip done. Not any great standard (The average age of my team is 55 years) but still kicking and running and looking for that silky skills moment ;-)   

My advice once you get through the first 4-6 weeks to where you are somewhat normal but not fully rehabbed is:-

[/size][size=78%]1. Patience you really have to let the bone recover and that takes 6 months (Some surgeons say a year before  taking up high impact sports.  Easy to say but difficult to do.[/size]

2.  Work on the smaller muscles in the leg -  I found balance work on bosu ball (Which before the op I could not even stand on, now I can do tree pose standing on it upside down) really helps build the smaller muscles and help when you work out the bigger ones

3.  Lots of work on the foam roller across the incision, ITB and glutes.  Think it helps break up that scar tissue,  and really even massage therapists won't get into the glutes in my experience.
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Hello Dfalca, I'm a fellow soccer player who had left hip resurfacing at 46. I had to stop playing. Within six months I was playing again. Here is the best part, you don't have to "take it easy" when you play. You can get stuck into tackles like the old days.

At eleven months post op I got a call from my old O-30 team to play in the second round of state tournament. I played 90 minutes at center midfield. I was so happy that day.

The hardest part for me was to regain a quality game fitness. The aerobic part was not too bad but the leg muscles had adapted over the years to accommodate the arthritis. Getting the muscles to stay strong for an entire match without pulls and strains was frustrating.

This year I sought out some professional assistance to help regain muscle strength and balance and I recommend it highly if you want to maximize your physical strength and agility.

The resurfaced hip gets so strong so fast there was never a mental issue to overcome like many have with something like an ACL knee injury.

Have fun with it.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
I had my left hip (weaker side - the one I don't usually kick with) resurfaced a couple of years ago. At first I had no strength or accuracy the few times I did try to pass with my left leg but after a while it got back to at least pre-op performance, which was never that great anyway. I did notice a significant improvement in my ability to make longer passes or take corner kicks with my right leg. That's when I have to plant the left leg to get the right leverage. I'd never noticed before how much the weaker leg affects those things.
There might be times in the first few weeks or months when you wonder if you'll ever be the same again; like everyone says, choose a good surgeon, don't overdo it too early, and you will be able to return to the game.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Dfalca

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
Thank you guys! Fired up 2 days to get the new hip and start getting after it..... Slowly and with lots of ice. Appreciate the advice and feedback! I'll post I my progress... :)

Dfalca

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
Hi Chuckm
I am following you like a crazy fan...lol. We soccer guys have to stick together and I certainly have been inspired by your posts. So I am 10 days out from my Lbhr same size as yours 54/60. I feel that my recovery is going slower than yours but I know that we all heal differently. I am on crutches with weight bearing to 30% for another 4 weeks. Seems like a long time... But I will be patient. Is there any stretching or easy excercises you would recommend doing for the next few weeks while I am non weight bearing? Flexing gleuts, quads and stretching hammy so and calf...do those now.:)
Thanks for any advice
I'll post soon on my progress.
Dave

chuckm

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »
I would just follow Dr. Gross' advice and protocols. There's not much for you to do in the first 4-6 weeks other than rest. Keeping yourself down I think is key. This surgery can really fool you into doing more than what is best for a speedy recovery because you feel good right away. It is a lot like a muscle pull and you try to get back on the pitch too soon and then it is worse.
But right away my surgeon was adamant about stretching all muscles of the operated leg. Especially the glut muscles.
Buy a foam roller now if you don't have one. It is essential in speeding your recovery (once you are healed enough to get on it).

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »
I agree with Chuck. Take your time, and you'll get back to where you want to be.

The great thing and the problem with being as early as you are is that your muscles are beginning to feel better, so you want to test them out; it's not about the muscles in the first few months, though - it's about the bone healing and the implant annealing itself to the bone.

The muscles can be very happy quickly, but the bone and structural healing takes place much more slowly. If you take your time now, when the bone is sound, then you can push it.

I went back to kicking the heavy bag in about ten months. Back to soccer in about a year. Everyone is different, but you want to be patient and let everything glue itself in well first.

I'm five years (plus) out now, and my hips are not holding me back at all.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dfalca

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:50:18 PM »
Hello soccer fans!!
So i am 10 weeks post op from my left Bhr's (54/60 dr Jamali) so far so good. I have been in the gym since week number six slowly getting back at it. I was on crutches for 6 weeks and really improved dramatically after I went to weight bearing. Just like you all said, slowly get back, don't push and listen to your body.....  I still have some stiffness when I get up from sitting and laying down, the first steps I feel pretty old 😜 But it loosens up and I can get through most days just hitting gym, stretching, rolling, doing some strengthening (hip flexor still real weak) and being careful not to do something silly.
Overall I'm satisfied by my decision to do this bhr at such a young age and I am sure I will get back pain free athletics sooner than later.... I'll post next month:)
Dave

chuckm

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Ok Dave, well done. Another few months and the strength and balance will really return.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat