+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do I choose a revision surgeon?  (Read 1701 times)

kriyamon

How do I choose a revision surgeon?
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
After 8 years, I am now needing a revision of my BHR because the femoral component is loose.  I also have bad edge loading because the cup was installed too vertical.  As with the initial surgery, I am nervous about choosing the right surgeon, and with the knowledge that I may not have the first time around, I am even more anxious.  I am not sure at all how to go about the choice.  The statistics on how many resurfacings physicians had done seemed to be the gauge  the first time around, but how about revision surgery?  What is the gauge? 

jd

Re: How do I choose a revision surgeon?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
Are you trying to get another resurfacing? Or happy to go to a THR? I know Dr Gross tries very hard to revise to another resurfacing if it's just a problem with acetabular placement, but I'm not sure if it's doable if the femoral component is loose (and I'd guess it really depends on why it's loose, bone condition under the component, etc...

Dr Pritchett's name also comes up very frequently for revisions, and he has multiple options.

Maybe ping both of them, since they both offer basic free remote consultations and see what they say? Otherwise I'd just look for other experienced hip resurfacing surgeons, and get their numbers and proposed plan.

Sorry to hear though, sounds very stressful!

Tim Bratten

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
De Smet did a bang up job on me and his ceramic on ceramic THR system is working great so far. I'm almost four years post-op and I regularly jog, hike, backpack, rockclimb and boulder. Here is my blog if you wanna see more: http://timbratten.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/this-blog-is-direct-continuation-of.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:11:52 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »
 :) Hi Kiryamon. Same thing if they don't do a decent job (cup angle etc) your in for the same issues. So one needs to find out how good the fitter is. They still can get a THR wrong. Good luck. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat