+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 11 month update - JHippy  (Read 1446 times)

JHippy

11 month update - JHippy
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
Just a quick update. I'm 11 months and two days. Couldn't be happier. Completely have my life back.

One day I got in the car and noticed that I didn't use my arms to help lift my leg in. I didn't think about it at all, my leg just did it. Stuff like that happens often, I realize wow my hip is doing the right thing without me even thinking about it.

Last weekend I was in San Francisco with my girlfriend for our anniversary just to get out of town. Last year we wanted to go but I just didn't feel I could manage the trip with my bad hip. So being able to do it this year was a big symbolic milestone for me. We mostly walked all weekend, from one end of the city to another. She couldn't keep up with me, just like old times :).

Earlier this week I ran three blocks to catch up with a group of co-workers and didn't think twice about it (other than "how cool is this!").

I still occasionally feel a clunk and some cracking with certain movements when I'm relaxed. It's so minor though. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Though I am curious what that is so I'm going ask my doctor next month at my one-year follow-up.

Lifting my left leg to get into the passenger side of a car is still awkward. I may need to work on that.

Scar is looking really good.

I gotta be honest and say I haven't been doing any regular exercise or any other therapy since maybe the 4th month. I hope that doesn't limit me down the road, but so far I'm just pleasantly surprised how everything has naturally fallen into place.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:21:56 PM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Paul_D

Re: 11 month update - JHippy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
Great to hear! Its amazing how progress is linear. I find PT is helping me a lot to get to new heights faster and has eliminated all tight muscles that I had post op. Stretching is the way to go to keep your hips perfect I have found.
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

blinky

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Love to hear this.

When is a good time to start PT? Do you just know because you notice that you have a few stubborn limitations?

JHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Well I've been thinking about this and actually I have done some stuff to help it along. Just not at the level of you true athletes. ;) It's just been more on an as needed basis. Really focusing for a long time on my pelvic tilt. And I went through a squatting form phase. Check out Chris Duffin, powerlifter talking about form. All that stuff applies to us. I think about it everyday. Links below if anyone is interested. I've done stretches when I feel I need it, etc. So in all fairness it's not been all sedentary, just not a structured program. But I still feel like I should be doing more... wondering if it'll bite me when I get more active.

How to Squat, With Chris Duffin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

THE BEST Warm Up for Big Skwaats and Deadlifts (Ft. Chris Duffin):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6HAheRHYQ

@blinky: I think in the first couple months just stick to the PT routine from your doctor. Then as you can handle start easing into whatever activities you want (though no impact or super deep stretches until 6 mos for us Gross hippies).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:31:37 PM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear