+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Algaecal, fosomax and other related questions  (Read 2512 times)

Coquí

Algaecal, fosomax and other related questions
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »
Anyone with experience with Algaecal supplement. Any comments on fosomax. I will love to build up my bone density on a natural way and will like not to take fosomax. Any recommendations???

jd

Re: Algaecal, fosomax and other related questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
Coqui, I strongly recommend following Dr Gross' recommendations about Fosamax for the next six months (assuming that's why you're looking into this). It prevents bone resorption that happens after the surgery, and if you're starting with low bone density then this resorption can let the bone density get dangerously low risking a femoral neck fracture. Initially I really didn't want to take it but I think it makes a lot of sense as short-term risk mitigation.

I'm in the same situation (my operated hip was in his middle ground where I don't have to do the slow recovery, but I do need to take Fosamax). My non-operated hip is actually worse, so I very much want to rebuild bone density there longer-term if I can. I looked into Algaecal and it looks good to me, but the cost to take Dr Gross' recommended 2000mg/day is insane. A 60-pill bottle is $50 and it only lasts 7.5 days, so we're talking about $200/mo. I've been taking Nature's Way Alive calcium (http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Calcium-Formula-Tablets/dp/B007RMK3II/) instead and it seems very similar, but at a much more reasonable cost (~$40/mo to get 2000mg/day).

In addition to calcium, I'm taking magnesium and vitamin K2 based on other reading. I'm far from sure they help, but I don't think they hurt, and they're cheap.

Finally, and long-term perhaps very importantly, I'm going to make a big(ger) effort to do weightbearing exercise. I'd had to slow down with my hip earlier, but I want to get back to weightlifting slowly after I pass the 6-mo mark as a major way to stimulate bone density.

Hope this helps!

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:09 AM »
I didn't have any problems with the Fosamax. Always made sure to drink a full glass of water with it - serious irritation of the esophagus is the common side affect to avoid. And there's a period of time that you can't eat anything after taking it.

I didn't find the Algaecal (honestly didn't look that hard) and just used the regular drug store calcium + magnesium. Had to take more than prescribed because the dosage amounts they come in were either too big or too small.

I'm not aware of any alternatives to the Fosamax but if you find one I'd definitely run it by your surgeon.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Coquí

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
Thanks Jd and Jhippy for your comments. I will definetly follow Dr. Gross recommendations and take the fosomax. It is just that I was reading something on the internet that made me start thinking about the pros and cos of the med. Here is a link of one of the pages: http://www.natural-healing-with-foods.com/bone-density.html

Jd thanks for the recommendations on the vitamins and supplements. I will take a look into the details.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat