+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 weeks to go  (Read 3841 times)

edrosen

2 weeks to go
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
I am 2 weeks out from having my left hip re-surfaced by Dr. Marwin. Six years ago I had my right hip done by Dr. Su; all good, no problems, no pain.
I am using Dr. Marwin this time due to insurance concerns, and he seems like a very well qualified surgeon, lots of experience and good recommendations. That said I am a bit nervous - just the unknown I guess.
Last time I had 2 nights in the hospital post-op; this time scheduled for only one.

I will post my post-op/rehab progress as I move forward....

RBHR  12/2009  Dr. Su
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su
LBHR  12/22/15 Dr. Marwin

jd

Re: 2 weeks to go
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:01 AM »
Best of luck edrosen! I've seen lots of reports of people going to Dr Marsen after Dr Su due to insurance and he seems to be a very competent surgeon.

As you know from the first time, it's totally normal to have last-minute jitters but looking forward to hearing how it goes and you'll be better before you know it.

blinky

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
Good luck! Same hospital?

Saf57

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »
edrosen--I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Marwin on august 28th, after having had my right hip done by Dr. Gross many years ago. I too considered Dr. Su, but was put off by the insurance issues with him. Dr. Marwin is a great surgeon and NYU is a fine hospital. You are in the best hands.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  Dr. Marwin is an experience HR surgeon and you should do well.  Update us when you can.

Best Wishes for a new HR for Christmas!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pfitz38

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Hi Edrosen

I had my left done by Dr. Su in September and was scheduled for my right in March. I found out last night my insurance plan is changing as of 1/2016. Dr Su does not accept my new carrier. Hoping for a last minute cancelation in the next week but otherwise I will be looking for a new Doctor. my question for you is how long out is Dr Marwin booking. What was your experience. Best of luck with your next one.  peter

frankx99x

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:29 AM »
Erdosen,

Had Bilateral Resurfacing done on 9/22 by Dr. Marwin. So far no regrets. I'm rehabbing well and highly recommend him for your procedure. NYU Joint Diseases is a fine hospital and the experience was as best as I could have hoped. When I booked him it was for 6 weeks from the date but could have went sooner.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:18:33 AM by frankx99x »

edrosen

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:07 AM »
saf57 and frankx99x thanks for the info re Dr. Marwin. It's great to hear positive news, and I hope you both continue to improve.

pfitz38, I chose my HR date based on my wife's work schedule; she will be off for the first 10 days or so of my post-op. I am not sure how far out Dr. Marwin is booking, his surgical scheduler can be reached at: 516-467-8600. The insurance thing with Dr. Su really stinks; last time he accepted whatever my insurer reimbursed, I think it was $500 less than his fee which was a lot higher then than it is now. This time I was told my insurance company might only reimburse $125, so for me it was time to look at the possibility of using someone else. Came back to this site after several years away and found the info on Dr. Marwin and NYU.

Pat, thanks for all the work you do to keep this site up and running. It is the best place for HR info and has been a great resource for me.
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su

edrosen

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »
Hello.

I am now 8 days post op. Surgery went well and uneventful according to hospital staff. I was given a spinal(in the words of the anesthesiologist). I was discharged from NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases after one night. Ran a low grade fever on and off at home for a few days, was told that could be expected, and is now behind me.
I am having more discomfort than I recall from 6 years ago. I find I need to take some pain meds to help me sleep through the night. I have been sleeping in my recliner (LAZBoy type) since I find it more comfortable. I don't need the pain meds during the day. I am experimenting moving from using 2 crutches to just using one. I have soreness and tightness in my hip and what appears to be some deep bruising in my thigh,  but overall I think my mobility is good and is definitely improving as time goes forward. I walked  the length of my road the other day, although the weather right now is keeping me indoors so I just do laps around the inside of my house. I go up and down the one flight of steps in my house a few times a day; I am being careful doing so and they are not a problem. I have showered a few times and on the advice of the hospital nurse I wrap my incision dressing with Saran Wrap - what a sight!
My in-home aftercare got a bit delayed when I declined to use the provider the hospital arranged for since prior experience told me that were not really ethical. The small number of care agencies where I live along with the time of year has prevented me from having a PT session so far. Had a nursing visit yesterday and my incision/dressing/BP/pulse all look good.
I have my first follow-up with Dr. Marwin next week.

I wish everyone a Happy and safe New Year.
RBHR 12/29/09  Dr. Su

blinky

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 02:50:13 PM »
Happy New Year to you! And how great to start with a new hip. I hope the healing continues to go well.

pfitz38

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
Hello Edrosen

We touched based a few weeks ago. I also had Dr Su for my first resurfacing as well( 9/15). I was inquiring on Dr Marwin because my employer is changing insurance carriers and Su would be out of network. Long story short I called Su's office and was put on the cancellation list. Was fortunate to get one. Had my left done on 12/21. One overnight and down to tylenol within 48 hrs. Definitely harder then the first ( but the first was so easy). I think the difference was my first was early in the morning and I was able to get up twice and walk that same day. This time the surgery was later in the afternoon and it was 23 hours before they got me out of bed. Dr Su was great but I found some of the other support people at HSS were not as amazing as they were the first time. Hope you continue to have a great recovery. Regards Peter

Kingrob

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
edrosen,

Congrats on getting your second hip done. After reading posts from others who have had both hips done it seems pretty common that the recovery for each can be different. Hopefully you will have the same great results. It says something about this procedure when people are choosing another hip resurfacing 6 years after the first.

Not sure what kind of PT session you are talking about at just 8 days post op. I would not let a PT touch me at this stage - I would be afraid they would mess things up. I am 5 weeks post op and I see so much improvement each week just doing a little walking and the exercises the DR gave me along with plenty of rest. If after 6 months I am not where I want to be I would consider PT, but from what I am reading and experiencing I don't see that being necessary. That's what I am hoping for anyway.

Saf57

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »
edrosen--congrats, and welcome to the bilateral club. It sounds as if you're doing well. Best of luck with your recovery!

dleogallag

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:26 PM »
Hey, I had righty done Dec 17th (Lefty 4 years ago) - 4 years ago, I did very little PT for first couple weeks, and was REALLY stiff when started to wean off crutches -this time, the hospital PT gave me some simple excercises, really kept things loose  (butt clenches, heel slides, "marching" while sitting in a chair) - recovering much faster.  Down to 1 crutch (initially, plan was 4 weeks on 2 crutches, then 4 weeks on 1, but doc gave go ahead to start working towards 1 at 3 week followup).  Last time (4 years ago) going to PT was unbelievable how fast it vaulted my recovery forward. It always amazes me the simple little excercises they give you and how fast they work to improve condition. I'm heading back to first real PT tomorrow - looking forward to skipping and jumping soon!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat