+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Right hip resurfacing with DR Gross  (Read 9944 times)

Kingrob

Right hip resurfacing with DR Gross
« on: December 08, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
I had my surgery 11/25/15, and everything is going well. Tomorrow will be two weeks and I am off crutches. I walk for 10 minutes up and down the block twice a day. The focus in the early stages of recovery for me is just letting the bone heal. I do my exercises, take medications, and move around enough to make sure I do not get a blood clot and try not to break any of the restrictions.

After my surgery I made my 6 week follow up appointment with DR Gross in SC where he will do another XRAY. We discussed where I need to be at the 6 week point - I should be able to walk between a mile and a mile and half with only a slight limp, no swelling, with little or no pain. If everything goes well then we will map out what I should be doing for the next 20 weeks. The biggest challenge for me over the next 4 weeks is going to be restraining myself from doing more than what is being asked.

My surgery with DR Gross was the same as many have already detailed - nothing new to add. What I can say is that his process for hip resurfacing is a well oiled machine. I was his fourth hip resurfacing of the day. From the pharmacy, hotel, and hospital they all know DR Gross and have nothing but great things to say about him - definitely makes you feel that you made a good decision. The hospital is an Orthopedic hospital and I think there were only 24 beds. All the staff are familiar with this procedure and know exactly what needs to be done. The care was excellent.

My recovery has not required a lot of Ice. I had surgery on Wednesday and you wake up with the Ice pack on you already. I iced on Thursday and Friday before my drive home. When I got home I realized that I left the power supply for my ice machine at the hotel. I had developed a little swelling above my knee on Sunday so I just filled some bags with ice and iced it down on and off for a few hours and the swelling was pretty much gone the next day. Since the pain and swelling were minimum I did not see a reason to keep icing my hip. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:56:45 PM by Kingrob »

JHippy

Re: Right hip resurfacing with DR Gross
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:43 AM »
Fantastic! Congrats!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

blinky

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »
That's great!

surfhippy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »
Sounds good! When I was in recovery (8 months post op now) I remember Dr Gross telling me to listen to my body as a indicator if I was pushing it too much too soon. I believe he stressed this because I was up and walking the hotel halls when he showed up the next morning to check on me. He thought I would be an over achiever, which I was, but when I would hurt, I would back off. I'm doing great now just working on strength, and flexibility. 6 months will pass before you know it. Congrats!
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Kingrob

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »
I just got back from SC for my 6 week follow up and all is good. The first thing we did was take some X-Rays and this was one of the reasons I wanted to do the 7 1/2 hour drive. Trying to get this  done in my local area prior to my surgery was a real pain. It just took a few minutes at their office.

After the X-Rays I met with Lee Webb who talked with me about how I was doing and had me go through all the phase 2 exercises. I am now in Phase 2.  We went over what I could now do and what things I still cannot do until the 6 month mark. It was also stressed that my increase in activity should be gradual - she did say I was doing phenomenal. I do feel really good - more like my old self.

I met with DR Gross and we looked at the X-Rays and everything looks good. We discussed some of the same issues I went over with Lee as well as answering any questions I had. The last thing we did was go over the game plan for the next 4 1/2 months. I am glad I went back to SC - they got this down to a science. DR Gross and his staff are awesome - could not be happier with my decision.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Glad the check up went well. So what do you have planned for the next four and a half months? What did you do right away?

blinky

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
That plan sounds very reasonable.

I have been more of a pusher! I have to remind myself that I am still healing and to take it easy. Then I get outside in the sunshine and feel good and ....oops ....I walked too far. And then I ache and am careful until the ache goes away...Seriously, I have set some upper limits on what I do and I abide by them..now.

I had the same careful response as to whether I would run again. Or my husband did. I didn't ask the question, he did. My feeling is that I will run again, but it may take awhile if I have to figure out some strange strength/flexibility changes and scar tissue/myofasial issues. There have been days when I was certain I would run and days when I wasn't so sure. I think  Dr Gross is a scientist, so he won't promise that you will run because not everyone can. He will only tell you what the data says.

petemeads

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
Jogged my comeback 5k at 2 months, with a trekking pole for support, and have since run another 46. Did not attempt a half-marathon distance until week 50 but it went well. Now hitting the gym to get properly fit for running and biking.
Note that I do not advocate my approach to anyone else - you have to listen to your body and be prepared to back off when appropriate - this is just an example of what can be done...

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

blinky

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
 :) YES! So great to enjoy something simple like walking again.

blinky

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
A 5K to celebrate a year of good hips sounds perfect.

jd

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
Glad to hear that things are going well Kingrob.

Quig

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Time flies when you're having fun... and walking 30 miles a week!?

Congrats on getting to this point and all the hard work you've put in to get you ready to run. I hope it goes very well and have no doubt that it will.

Let the journey continue!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
That is great! You have amazing self discipline. I look forward to comparing notes on running.

RebeccaT

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
I am about one week behind you! Looking forward to doing my first run at the beach, maybe, when I am there in June. And a long bike ride. I haven't been riding in quite a while (not that I'm real serious about it, but we really enjoy the 20-mile path at the beach!) Congrats on the progress, and the discipline. I am definitely not that disciplined (nor can I find that much time!) but I have been hitting the gym 2x week for a pretty good TRX workout + elliptical and walking every evening ... know the feeling about your body being ready to run ... mine definitely is!
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

badbone

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
Congrats on reaching the 6 month mark!!!

Please let us know how that first run goes......

;D
3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »
Go Kingrob!

Does this mean you are  signing up for a 5K in a month?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »
It is great to hear how well you are doing.  I look forward to hearing about that 5k in November.

Good Luck

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM