+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: It broke!  (Read 6296 times)

Anna

It broke!
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well, bad news for me. 2 years 4 months after my RTHR and it broke. The titanium stem just snapped in half, whilst I was sitting down. The surgeons seem to think it was a faulty prosthesis. I spent 10 horrific days in hospital and I'm in a lot of pain this time (Now one month post op)

How do I get over this one? Even if my new revision works, everyone has always told me nothing is as good as your first! On top of this, you only get so many chances of hip op's right? So I'm now on my 2nd at the age of 32. Not good! How do I have any faith and confidence in a new hip after this? I'm usually positive but I think my positivity has just run out!!

x x

RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

blinky

Re: It broke!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
That sucks! What kind was it and has this been happening?

Just anecdotal, but before surgery I spoke to a woman who had a revision and was doing well. She had a recalled MoM THR, two actually, and one was giving her problems so she had them both out. She reported she was spinning, walking, lifting, and skiing. So people do come back.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
Hi Anna

I am so sorry to hear about your THR problems.  I am not medically trained, but it is difficult to believe anything you did would break that stem unless you were sky diving!

You are so young, but you need to try to heal and adapt to the new surgery.  People have had a handful of revisions.  What is most important is that you use a really experienced surgeon to do them.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will get back to a normal life and stop worrying about the THR.  Hard to do, but you will eventually gain confidence in the new device.  Some people have  kept their THRs their whole lives.  Let's hope that yours will remain for many, many years.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
So sorry to hear this Anna. Hang in there! People have come back from worse situations. You are young, strong, and active and I am confident you will be back!

Moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
How long will a THR last?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
Anna

I put together a page about the life of a THR.  I found information from a handful of sources.

It is on this page

http://www.hipsforyou.com/how-long-will-my-total-hip-replacement-last.php

One surgeon's quote was:

"Twenty years after surgery, 80% of hip replacements are still functioning well"

I wanted to give you some hope that THRs often last a very long time and even a life time for some people. Even with a hip resurfacing, revisions are a possiblity down the road.

Good Luck.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JHippy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that, Anna. Sounds like you're devastated right now, I would be too. Despite that I really hope you can get back to your positive thinking self very soon. It can have such a profound affect, so please don't let this get you down. Every situation is unique. You're young. It was a freak accident and didn't cause any conditions that will make the revision less successful (other than just needing the revision). I think you will do great. Plus this field is advancing rapidly so who knows what better options will be available to you in the future "if" you should need it. You're in my thoughts and I wish you the best in your recovery. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Anna

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Pat, I definitely want's skydiving!! Thanks for the link. Fingers crossed this new one will last a lifetime!

Anna x

Tim Bratten

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »
So sorry to hear about your problems Anna. In rare cases I've heard of titanium stems breaking but that doesn't seem right yours breaking so shortly after surgery. Something must have been wrong because this is not even close to the norm for a THR. At any rate I wish you the best of luck on your recovery and check back in to let us know how you're doing.

Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

LMS

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
How are you doing Anna?  Any updates?

blinky

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »
Anna, was your stem the one that was recalled over the summer?

Anna

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, my notifications were not turned on so I didn't see the updates!

I'm now 7 months post revision and I still can't walk unaided. I am starting to believe that I will never get better. I've tried everything I can think of. I've done my physio, built up my muscles again, I can cycle a little but I just can't walk without a crutch. I get pain in my adductors when I try to walk unaided and I can't stand on one leg. There has been suggestion that it is because there is too much scar tissue and because 6 months has passed, I will not improve anymore.

I'm still hopeful but things are looking bleak. .... disabled at the age of 33!  :'(

Anna

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »
Anna, was your stem the one that was recalled over the summer?

Blinky, which stem was recalled? I wasn't aware!

blinky

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/ListofRecalls/ucm465501.htm

pro femur by Wright Medical. The stems were just breaking, like you described. Actually, as I look at this, the necks were breaking. I would check whether your device is on a recall list.

I am so sorry to hear your news.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:46:09 PM by blinky »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »
Hi Anna

I am sorry to hear you are still having a lot of problems.  I think a revision is even more difficult to heal - but I am not a doctor.  I am hoping, for you, that time will help you heal more.  There are people with hip resurfacings that took a year or two to get back to normal.  I am hoping that you will be in that position.  That time will help your hip mend.

Again, I am so sorry to hear you are still not walking properly.  I will keep  you in my thoughts and prayers.  Let us know now and then, how you are doing.  I am also keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
Anna - I've been thinking about your situation. It just sounds horrible. You should not be disabled at 33. That just doesn't seem right. If I were in your position I would research top hip surgeons, especially those experienced with revisions, as best I could and find at least two different surgeons, preferably in different areas with no contact between them, for alternative opinions. You may have an excellent relationship with your current doctor, but clearly he/she is not helping currently, especially if he/she is telling you that since more than six months passed you're not going to get any better. That's just wrong. You need to find someone who can offer you a path to full mobility, even if it means another procedure. Also, find a good attorney. If your original implant was defective IMO you should sue the manufacturer. Do not let others tell you this is just the way it is and what a bummer for you so take it. Fight back.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat