+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My story, so far  (Read 7518 times)

Tri Hard Alan

My story, so far
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
New to the site and curious to see that not many of the posters seem to be Brits despite the procedure being common here with lots of surgeons to chose from.

Anyway, here is my story, which at the moment is still in its infancy but may prove useful to somebody who hasn’t taken the plunge yet.

I am now 48 and have been running marathons and shorter races for 20 years. For the last 7 years I have been concentrating on Triathlons and now refer to myself as a Triathlete rather than a runner. I ticked the Ironman box a few times but with the curiosity settled now concentrate on the shorter distance Tri’s where I have been fortunate enough to represent GB at an Age Group level.

In August of 2014, towards the end of what had been my best season, I started to get a pain in my right hip. To be honest it wasn’t too bad and certainly didn’t slow me down. At the end of August I raced a Half Ironman, performed well, including a 1.30 half marathon run. But shortly after the pain got a lot worse as it moved to the groin. Physio made it better and running was on and off but by the time 2015 came round I was slowing dramatically and now limping when walking. In Feb I finally saw a hip surgeon who took an xray and said I needed a THR and my running career was basically over. He never mentioned BHR. Distraught, I went away and with a ton of support from my girlfriend and a lot of research on her part contacted Dr Ronan Treacy who saw me at very short notice and advised I was suitable for BHR.

We outlined a plan to have the surgery at the end of the season and he encouraged me to keep active and run as much as the pain allowed. This I certainly did and managed a total of 14 Tri’s and was racing a Duathlon (run-bike-run) 2 days before surgery. But the big problem was a chronic fear of needles and hospitals in general. At the pre op assessment I passed out twice, once just talking to the Occupational Therapist without a needle in sight anywhere. In the anesthetists room just before surgery I was literally sobbing with fear right up to the point where they put me out. I would like to say the drama ending there but twice whlst trying to get me to walk with the frame post up I passed out with major anxiety issues. I did eventually manage to calm down and a day behind schedule was let home.

I am now 7 weeks post op and as I said whilst this story is in its infancy everything is now going well. Despite the rocky start in hospital the surgeon has told me I am ahead of schedule and I have started swimming and indoor cycling, just for small amounts of time to begin. The surgeons schedule was to start treadmill running at 3 months post op, outdoor running 6 months and racing in the summer. My physio has advised to wait 4 months post op for the treadmill running but to stick to the 6 months outdoor schedule. Generally speaking, I am limp and pain free. From a viewpoint of general day to day life, I couldn’t be happier. I was of the crutches just after 4 weeks and the pain killers too. I was also fortunate enough to be able to cope with just Paracetomel even straight after the op. The pain was not actually that bad at all.

Right now, my biggest obstacle is fear, again. Not this time of needles/hospitals but of stress fracture. With warnings about over doing it from Surgeon and Physio ringing in my ears about over doing things every tiny little twinge sets my mind racing despite me not actually getting that many twinges, them not being painful and me actually being pretty good and following the guidelines in terms of do/dont’s/exercises etc. The return to exercise seems to have set me in to a constant panic mode.

A few important lessons I have learned so far:

Get a second opinion. I am probably preaching to the converted here because if you are on this sight you have already made the right steps but if I hadn’t my life would be very different right now.

If you are afraid to have the procedure done, persevere. I tried to take one day at a time and not think too far ahead. And don’t hide your fear. Tell everybody. Especially in the hospital. Medical staff don’t tend to be sympathetic to needle phobias but at least it stops you feeling ashamed and gives you a degree of control.

Do as your told. Do not rush things. I am beginning to feel it’s the soft tissue and muscle damage which is going to take a while to heal and I need to be patient with that.

I look forward to talking with lots of you and sharing the next chapters in my story.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:10:59 PM by Tri Hard Alan »

blinky

Re: My story, so far
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
Amen.

I am six weeks out and can now do more, but have been cautioned not to go nuts. Bone has to heal, but as you said, the soft tissue has lots of recovering to do. I received a firm warning against deep squatting until six months out. I won't try to run until six months. If there is soft tissue stuff going on, I will have to wait longer.

Can't wait to hear about your come back!

PMac

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Hi Alan from a fellow UK hippy, I totally get your phobia as I have a similar one not with hospitals or doctors mine is with dentists! I'm not sure if you have read any of my posts but I am a couple of weeks behind you (5 weeks tomorrow). I have been given the OK to get back in the gym and if I'm honest I haven't really thought about the possibility of fracture. My top tip would be do as you are told and listen to your body. I know when I've overdone it and learn from it.

I looke forward to hearing about your recovery, I'm glad you found out about the resurfacing route. I'm amazed how many don't and don't have it recommended. It's early days I know but I truly believe it's the best decision I ever made and I wish I'd done it sooner!
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
Welcome, Alan - glad you found us!

Not sure if many UK people are being offered BHR as a first choice - two friends of mine had THR in the last couple of years and their surgeons did not offer any alternative yet they are both active (but elderly, 60+, like me).
I put up with hip aches, pains and stiffness on my comeback to proper running and climbing after a long spell of raising a family with occasional jogging and  was very nervous of a surgical procedure but very impressed with Mr McMinn's website. I chose to consult a local surgeon known to offer BHR because I also know someone who had his hip done ten years ago by him,  with no problems, and it was so convenient to use a hospital 10 minutes from home.
My left hip was done 13 months ago today - released after 3 days, first mile on 2 crutches on day 6, walking 5k in 48 mins at 5 weeks and back to jogging 5k parkruns by February. Ran a half-marathon distance in 2 hours at week 50.
With your background, and a bit of care to avoid the risk of knocking the head of your femur in the first six weeks or so, you should be back to gentle triathlon before you know it and racing well in 2017. Good Luck!

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

evant

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »
Good luck with your recovery - I have a feeling you'll do really well.

Were you able to control your needle phobia post-op to daily self inject the blood anti-coagulant for 4 weeks?

I'm not a fan of needles but was sort of able to control my dislike as, whenever I felt uncomfortable, I quickly focused on my positive belief in the reward of the resurfacing post-op.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:14:32 AM »
Than you all for the words of encouragement. I will post up now and again when I hit what I consider to be major milestones. Although yesterday I did shoe laces up for the first time and that felt like a real triumph!

Petemeads, that sounds like a really fast recovery, congratulations! And yes, 2017 is very much the focus. Although both surgeon and physio have said I will be racing in the summer I am not taking that as gospel and will be happy to complete just one Triathlon.

Evant, with all the passing out and extra blood samples and the daily ant-coagulant injections in hospital by the time I got home I was absolutely fine. Couldn't do them myself but no problems with my girlfriend doing them.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
I am a few weeks in to swimming, indoor cycling and aqua jogging (which I really don't like) and after initially taking it really easy have started to up the distances and intensity bit by bit (but still way below my normal levels).

But with this increase in activities, and the addition of lots of new strengthening exercises from my physio, comes more stiffness and sensations around the hip and groin area.

None of this is painful and none of it is constant. And if anything its sitting for long periods that makes it worse. Has anybody been through all of this with similar sensations whilst doing the same activities? Do I need to be concerned or I am worrying for nothing? Are there any particular pains in particular areas that I need to look out for or checks that I can do?

I am now 9 weeks post op.

petemeads

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
Hi Alan,

Transient stiffness and sensation is a part of the healing process I reckon - I am nearly 14 months but can feel my scar area and range of movement is still improving so something must be 'giving' a bit to allow this. My natural hip is getting more limpy now and sometimes I have to tell myself to walk properly - jogging is not usually such a problem. Not swum yet but just joined a gym with pool so will find out soon what breaststroke is like...
Currently the stiffest I get is after a session on the climbing wall, both hips complain (in different ways) and my back joins in as well - the downside of getting this old, unfortunately.
I should not let temporary sensations worry you too much, just be prepared to back right off if a niggle becomes a limp - happened to me at 6 weeks and took a week to get over it, using a single crutch again.

Cheers, Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

blinky

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
Also about nine weeks out and I have the same sensations. I am trying to find the right amount of rehab/exercise that lets me get stronger, but doesn't push me over the edge and cause me to have to take a day off. I have been walking, swimming free, indoor cycling. A big jump in walking or swimming will make me more sore and more wobbly the next day, like I will go from not needing the cane to needing it again. Swam more than usual over the weekend and while i had no pain, my ability to walk without a limp was undermined. Those stability muscles were tired.

Sometimes I feel great, completely normal, not thinking about my hips at all. Then I usually do something I am not ready for and am reminded.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »
Thanks both for your replies, that is a little reassuring. And saw the physio who said much the same thing.

Blinky, yep, I am having that same difficulty too, getting the balance. Swimming seems to be fine and if anything eases things. I even managed 2 nights on the trot but physio has advised I wait a bit longer for that. Indoor cycling (not ventured out yet) seems to be more of a trigger. But I suspect that is due to me pushing the resistance and cadence up too much too soon. And at no point do I need a cane or limping at all so probably am well in the normal zones.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
Facebook tells me that it is one year ago today that I was diagnosed with OA on the right hip and as per my original post was told I would need a new one. A year on from that seems like a good time for an update.......

Have been cycling outside since my last update but not pushing too hard, longest ride 1.5 hours. Likewise on the swim, not upping distance too much, 2.5k the longest, but plenty of speedwork and not swimming too badly at all. Have continued with the strength program but upping the ante with weighted squats and lunges to strengthen the legs and added full planks and russian twists to further strengthen the core. Have also added in some underwater treadmill running, up to 15 minutes. I was worried about this as at 6ft 3 in and long legs I have less support than others but has been fine. In summary, no pain whatsoever. Yes, I get the occasional reaction and it doesn't feel completely normal all the time but I also often forget about it. Have also noticed the scar has started to turn from that red ish colour to white in places which my physio tells me is good.

I will be 4 months on the 27th and see the Physio again on the 29th where we will put a run plan together that will start the following day. I hate treadmills but suspect I will have a big smile on my face come 1st March!

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:21:52 AM »
I did my first run last night!

I didn't have the big smile I thought I would have, was more relieved than happy. But no pain whatsoever and no reaction today.

Session was on a treadmill, 2.5 minutes walking, 2.5 minutes running x 6. Only ran at 6.50 minutes per K so kept it nice and easy. Will decrease the walking time over the next 4 weeks till I can run continuously for 30 minutes. All under the guidance of my physio. After that, we will take it outside and also add in some plyometrics training.

If I was to liken the recovery to a race, I now feel I am on the start line  :)

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:44:00 AM »
Another major milestone today, first continuous run!

30 minutes on the treadmill, 5.07k, 5.56 min per k average pace. No pain at all.

I have just passed the 5 month mark. I have June 1st as a dream date for my first Triathlon but only if I get the blessing of my physio. Certainly wont be rushing anything.

Feeling very happy right now  ;D [size=78%] [/size]

Quig

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
Go Alan, GO! Congrats on the achievement and the progress.  8)
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 03:48:41 AM »
Since my last post have got blessing from physio to start running outside and to start to push the pace a little and gently introduce some interval work. Which I did last Thursday and went way better than I could have hoped for. Felt really good and even a little quicker than expected.

But the I had a little incident, on Friday I was knocked of my bike!

Had taken the race bike out for the first time as I wanted to test the aero position on the road and 1.5 hours of riding was fine with no discomfort but then stopped at a roundabout and when after a while I pulled out a young lady drove straight in to the back of me. It was all a bit of a blur but appear to have landed on my sitting bones which are still too sore to run. I got an xray done when the ambulance took me to hospital to get a general check over and purchased a copy to send to my surgeon who has confirmed all is OK with the hip and the implant. Phew!

Will be reviewing when and where I cycle from now on. Busy roads late on a Friday afternoon with hindsight maybe not a great idea.

Quig

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Scary stuff Alan! I'm glad you're ok.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
Yikes! It is so scary to ride on the roads here, too. Drivers on cellphones and not paying attention. We have to go further and further out into the country to get away from them.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:33 AM »
Only tentatively back to running this week and hopefully, fingers crossed, I should be able to do a PArkrun in a couple of weeks.

But in the meanwhile......

I did my first race last night! A 10.35 miles Cycle Time Trial (11 laps of the Hillingdon Cycle Circuit if you are near the London area). At an average speed of 36.6kph I was slow but that's lack of miles in the legs. The operated hip, didn't even give it a thought. Completely comfortable down on the aero bars for the entire duration and no after effects  ;D

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 05:24:30 AM »
Did my first running race last week!

Was a Relay event for my Tri club with each team member doing 4.44 K of a hilly course and at an average speed of 4.39 per k I was a bit slow but pushed a controlled hard effort all the way round with no pain.

Hoping to do my first Tri this Sunday, a Sprint, and this has a pancake flat run so hopeful I can go a bit faster despite running of the bike.

Still a long way to go to where I want to be but very happy none the less  ;D

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »
Continued to set new boundaries this weekend with my first Tri, which naturally was a Sprint.

Picked a local event, one that I have done a few times before and used to live close to so very familiar with the roads.

And like the running race last week decided to concentrate on good form and keeping it controlled rather than an eyeballs out effort and on a slightly short 5k run course managed a 4.28 per K pace with no pain at all and considering at age 49 I am now at the top end of 40-49 Age Group I was surprised to grab 6th place.

http://racetimingsolutions.racetecresults.com/MyResults.aspx?CId=16269&RId=562&EId=1&AId=60393

To put this in to context, ignoring the result, I have done 1.10 at this race previously so a lot of work to do.

Planning a short rest now as have had a pretty solid training block and will look to do another Sprint next month and make some improvements on all 3 disciplines. Should also have some Hoka One One shoes being delivered today to help my in the transgression to longer run distances and a Olympic Distance Tri August/September time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear