+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Day one former soccer player norCal Bhr 54/60  (Read 3733 times)

Dfalca

Day one former soccer player norCal Bhr 54/60
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »
hi group. Finally got my hip resurfacing done but Dr. Amir Jamali, MD in Walnut Creek California. I posted a few times in the past but it has finally happened. I'm in the medical device industry and have sold these total joint replacements and I'm really aware of techniques And surgeon skill level.  With that being said being on the other side is a whole different story.
 I feel I have struggled from the moment I woke up out of the anesthesia. But finally being home after one day in the hospital I feel I will get the rest that is needed and maintain the pain control.
 It looks as if if you people have had it done at the same time so I look forward to the comparisons I'm how we are progressing. I can say without a doubt that the next three days I am going to do everything I can not to get out of bed .
 I had a left Birmingham hip 54 head 60 cup.
This forum has been a great resource for me to continue the posts for me. Thank you blinky you have done a great job keeping in the loop.

blinky

Re: Day one former soccer player norCal Bhr 54/60
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Here's to success staying in bed and resting for the next few days. I hope your recovery goes well.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Dave - Good Luck with your recovery.  Take it easy as you seem to have figured out.

Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Interested in your surgeon and if he does a lot of hip resurfacing.  Always want to learn about hip resurfacing doctors.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dfalca

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »
Day 2 now
The improvements in pain and comfort are improved significantly. I had to travel about 2 hrs from the hospital that Dr Jamali did the work at. I am taking 2 10 mg percocets every 6 hrs and with some ambien I am really getting some good rest.
So Pat had requested some info on Dr Amir Jamali here in Northern California. I have known Amir for a long time because I sold some of the medical devices he uses in the OR. I have seen literally thousands of procedures (not many resurfacings though) and with hundreds of surgeons. Dr. Jamali is meticulous  and professional. He also is well trained and has a great fellowship. With all this being said I do not know exactly how many Bhr's he does but at this point in his career it is a staple in his practice.  Www.jointpreservationinstitute.com
Day three and still comfortable managing the pain and getting around on crutches. Not doing to much but easing back into work next week. Happ New Year's Eve!!!!!

Dfalca

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
Hello surface hippys
Happy new year! Well it's been 5 days since my Bhr's and recovery is going just like you "pros" said it would.... If I push it a little, I'm sore, if I'm just sleeping or reading I'm not. Lol
The course of rehab from my surgeon and this site is very simple for the first month. Don't put your hip in any non controlled internal/external rotation. Protect with pillows. Flex and stretch. And finally getting out walking. Protection is the key. Strength building will come. I walked with 30% pressure on the hip for about a quartermileyesterday watching my four year old hide from the storm troopers invasion... Over fences , rocks behind trees... Looking forward to doing that again with him soon. Other than being sore last night a little,  enough for a pain pill , I also woke up early this am and took one.  I'm not a big pill popper but I am much easier to be around during the kids break if I'm not suffering.... So I'm told.
Anyways if any of you pros see an area that I am overseeing please let me know😀
Thxs

blinky

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Sounds good. The first week you pretty much take it easy, simple exercises, some walking, managing pain.

How many kids?

Dfalca

Re: Day 22 former soccer player norCal Bhr 54/60
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:49 AM »
hi surface hippys,
I am 3 weeks post op from my Lbhr things are going swimmingly. Even my three kiddos are amazed about how little they have to do for me... Weird that they always have to do the dishes now ;) anyways I am still on one crutch 50% of the around the house for ease of picking up stuff and both crutches when I go out and about. My surgeon is conservative I know this and I trust his judgement. He does not have the experience of dr su or gross but I know he is good and has done enough, for me to comply with his post op instructions.
So at week four I can start rehab and exercising. Push-ups, arms, seated excercises. Does anyone have any recommendations for 1 month post op exercises hip specific? I think I can put most my weight on it but as a good patient I have not pushed the weight bearing request from dr Jamali. Excited to get rid of these crutches....the irony is I have been working in the operating room since week one with them...
Any advice for being out 3 weeks is welcome :)

blinky

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »
I am glad it is going so well! I have had less long term success with the the "no dishes" rule.

There are a few, and I mean a few, exercises on Dr Gross' website under "forms". I believe Dr Su has a pretty comprehensive list of post op exercises on his site. Those were too aggressive for me.

I am not a gym fan, so most of my rehab has been done outside, walking and swimming. (I am fortunate enough to live in a warm climate; I think you are, too?) Gradually building the walking from the one paltry mile I was allowed in the first six weeks to two miles now, three miles soon, maybe up to five miles. I am a once and future runner, so I hope that this habit of getting outside and moving will carry over to when I can run again. Swimming freestyle. I try the other strokes but am not ready to incorporate them yet: I am afraid to crack my legs in fly, am weak in breast, just don't like back. Thinking I should add some water rehab exercises when the air gets a little warmer, like walking sideways in the water to strengthen ad and abductors.

Have you done P90X? I bet there are some good ideas in it. Hmm, that seven minute ab work out might be something I could attempt now.

I'd just caution you to start gradually (do as I say, not as I do...).

jd is ahead of me and is doing a good set of leg exercises.

jd

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:25:38 AM »
I would strongly recommend against P90X for quite awhile! It's orders of magnitude more aggressive than what you want to be doing at 4 weeks. I wouldn't go near it at 3 months.

Walking is great for you, start working up to foot-over-foot stairs, initially using a handrail, but focus on slow and steady. I like the target of taking 3 seconds stepping up with your operated leg, and 3 seconds stepping down (with operated leg staying on the higher step). If you're anything like me, this'll be hard at 4 weeks. You can also stand on the operated leg (slightly bent) and move the other leg forward and backward, out to the side, lift your knee up, etc -- lots of things to perturb your balance.

Basically, you need some basic strength back, then the next step is just getting better at basic walking and working on stability. All of this is of course just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt!

blinky

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
So P90X at four weeks was delusional, I will admit it.

I did put the short ab work out in the DVD player to review what was in it. The easy exercises, the ones in which legs stay bent or stay up in the air, I can do a few of. The ones where legs are straight and move has too much leverage on the hip. I am not ready to kick with fins yet for the same reason.

I didn't review the leg work out, but I think it had a bunch of lunges and monster walks in it. Not for four weeks, but for later. I couldn't do it now. I think I will go through a period of using water resistance to strengthen my legs, then be able to try the land based maneuvers. Obviously the jumping moves are out. I will have to look at the stretches and see how extreme they are.

What are your limitations? You probably have the 90 degree rule now, but what about after six weeks? How much weight can you lift? I wasn't allowed to do pull ups or push ups for six months because I can't lift more than fifty pounds. (As if I can do pull ups ...)

jd

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Blinky, I was pretty sure Dr Gross allowed push-ups at least prior to 6 months. They're not listed on the very concise list of things you can't do until 6 months and they're a bodyweight exercise, so they're not lifting 50 lbs (any more than walking up stairs is, so bodyweight is clearly ignored). I believe the pull-up restriction was only due to the risk of not being in control and falling / causing high impact to the hip. Obviously everyone should follow surgeon instructions but that one seems to be primarily based on how good you are at pull-ups and how much you push it.

I went to dig this up on his website but can't find that info now (although interestingly the website has had a much-needed redesign!).

blinky

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »
That's true. I am struggling with what I can and cannot do between now and six months based on the very concise list of no nos. I am trying to reconcile that list with some of the other directions in Phase II, like swimming is okay, but not breaststroke. (I asked about that one; breaststroke is okay, after six weeks. But allowable doesn't mean achievable. I am not ready to do breaststroke.) I don't see a direction against push ups and pull ups either, thought there was one, but maybe I deduced it from some other prohibition.

I can't do them anyway.

Sorry for the hijack, Dfalca. The first six weeks post op were pretty clear. This period between six weeks and six months is fuzzier for me. Walking and swimming freestyle and doing leg lifts and some stretches are safe. More than that---golf, indoor cycling, step aerobics, some yoga, some weights and bands---would also be okay. But would your body be ready to do them? And how much? That's the hard part to figure out.

edited to add: http://www.grossortho.com/images/stories/pdf/colombia_hip_protocol/Phase_2_Exercises.pdf

FWIW---the phase II exercises list was modified somewhat from what we got, JD. I still don't see a ban on push ups and pull ups so dk where I got that. The swim directions are different and DO allow all strokes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:27:19 PM by blinky »

jd

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »
Yup, I asked about breaststroke when I was in Dr Gross' office for the pre-op appointment because it surprised me and he said it was A-OK, they just hadn't updated the form :)

My main thinking is that there are some guidelines (like don't ride a bike outside because you might fall off and that'd be very bad), but that my real rules come down to the concise list of don'ts and I add some more for myself as you mentioned based on what I think I can safely accomplish without ending up in a situation where I fall, or go to extreme ROM, etc.

chuckm

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »
Dfalca, in hindsight, one of the most important things for me was having a timeline that organized my progression of physical activities. My surgeon came up with it for me to return to playing soccer. 
It was quite simple and it made it easy to choose what to do and when.

Month 0 through 3: focus on flexibility and range of motion in the hip. No need to worry about strengthening.
Month 3 to 6: build strength in hip and body. Activities were up to me. No running, jumping, or anything that might result in a fall on the hip. No repetitive weight lifting. Nothing that hurt. 
Month 7: conditioning which includes impact activities like running.
Return to soccer. 

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dfalca

Re: Day 27 former soccer player norCal Bhr 54/60
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Great info guys. Thank you so much. You guys have been instrumental in my recovery thank you. I think keeping things in check is more important than anything else. I despise having things done for me so this process has been a great lesson in humility. Now working on the patience for a few months..... It's almost like becoming a monk....lol
I'm cranking out push-ups I can't see how it would be dangerous for my hip but I'll stop until my 6 week appt.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat