+-

Author Topic: Dr Lombardi of Morristown NJ and my near perfect BHR experience  (Read 2302 times)

Hitman

Dr Lombardi of Morristown NJ and my near perfect BHR experience
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
I had my left hip resurfaced on January 4, 2016 by Dr Lombardi of Morristown, NJ.  I had my right one done 4 years prior by a different surgeon.  Would you believe me if I told you that I was walking around the entire hospital,alone, with crutches (much to the nurses chagrin) 6 hours after surgery!?  Here's why: Dr Lombardi gives his BHR patients an epidural in lieu of  general anesthesia!  Then he used a more mild form of anesthesia to put me out.  I woke up feeling totally fine! No hangover.  Instead of staples or stitches, he uses Dermabond skin closure system.  This stuff rocks!  No tightness, and no changing of any dressing ever!  It's day 3 now and I've taken absolutely no pain meds whatsoever, simply because I have no pain.  He also did not make me use compression socks or take any blood thinning meds, aside from aspirin.  I'm not sure what he did different, from a surgical perspective, from my last surgeon, but I feel completely fine and strong.  Shhh...I actually went to the gym today and did some upper-body work 3 day's post op!   
I highly recommend Dr Lombardi of Tri-County Orthopedics.  Amazing result already.  I was in bed for 2 weeks after I had my right hip done 4 years prior! 

Hitman

Re: Dr Lombardi of Morristown NJ and my near perfect BHR experience
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
OK I hope I'm not coming off as arrogant or cocky here because I sincerely don't mean to.  Like I mentioned above, I had my left BHR this past Monday.  I spend two hours in the gym today doing upper body at full weight... I also walked around the mall for an hour this morning with one crutch.  I feel absolutely great.... Should I be concerned here?  Am I going to just drop dead tomorrow?  I listen to my body and it's saying full steam ahead.  I start PT next week... 

blinky

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
You won't die but you might do too much and 1) pay for it by being very sore or 2) suffer a femoral neck fracture and have to get a THR.

I am glad you feel great. I have/had the same issue with feeling good and wanting to do more. Enjoy your new hip, but be careful!

jd

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
It's great you're feeling so good!

Having said that, I'd say to take it easy though just to make your life a bit easier. At least wait a couple of weeks before starting to push it much at all and make sure you follow any surgeon restrictions on range of motion. There's a lot of soft-tissue healing going on early on and you really don't want to tear something weak and dislocate your implant if you can avoid it! As blinky says, if you impact the hip too much you can also fracture the femoral neck (but that risk takes 6 months to go away so keep this one in mind for awhile!).

It's good to see that you did well with the spinal/epidural. Most of Dr Gross' patients (like me) also get spinal anesthesia.

Hitman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback!  Your right, I don't need a femoral neck fracture!  I don't have any hip restrictions according to Dr Lomarbardi, but he did say to keep out of the gym..  I'm not on any pain meds, aside from 325 mg of buffered Aspirin (which may be for blood thinning/anti-cot purposes).  Good to hear that a spinal epidural is being used in BHR surgeries.  I wish my surgeon 4 years ago used that method.  I'm off from work until February, so now to somehow prevent myself from going insane!  I already watched 10 hours of "Making a Murderer" (he was definitely guilty of the murder!!!), but that was in only one day!  Maybe I'll write a book?  Be well !

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:55:52 AM »
Hi Hitman

Great to hear how well you are doing and sharing your send hip resurfacing story with Dr. Lombardi.

I would encourage you to really enjoy that second hip, but maybe be a bit more conservative early on.  You will have lots of time this spring to give the new hip a real work out.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats