+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: four weeks ... were you still limping?  (Read 5807 times)

RebeccaT

four weeks ... were you still limping?
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
I am four weeks out now (right hip/Dr Gross) and I am on the fast recovery program...they say weeks 1-2 on two crutches, 2-3 on one crutch or a cane, and after 3, walking independently (with a crutch for long walks.) After four weeks, I can walk aroundthe house unaided, but there is no way I would go anywhere else without something (currently a trekking pole) and try as I might, I cannot walk without a noticeable limp. My hip just isn't strong enough, I think.

I was in pretty good shape before surgery (weights at gym 2-3x week, walking most days, very conscientious about nutrition) ... I know that muscles are compromised during surgery and need to heal. But I am reading other stories of people walking fine at four weeks and it's making me a bit worried... So what is your story? How far along were you at 4 weeks? (I have also emailed Lee and Nancy at Dr Gross's office, but interested to hear from folks here too!)
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

jd

Re: four weeks ... were you still limping?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:16:58 AM »
I was doing reasonably well at 4 weeks and wasn't using a cane anymore, but I'm mid-30s and was also in pretty good shape beforehand. I think I've had a very rapid recovery so far all things considered.

It also depends on what you mean by a noticeable limp. I still have one when I first start walking after sitting at three months, but it gets easier week-by-week. "Walking fine" is all relative and 4-weeks is still extremely early. Remember Dr Gross doesn't even want you to start the real strengthening exercises until 6 weeks.

PMac

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:04 AM »
It was around 6-7 weeks before I was walking without a limp and my recovery is generally felt to be pretty rapid according to my physios. Don't panic, there's no rush 😀
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

RebeccaT

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
Thanks! I am 41 so I feel pretty young :) ... anyway by noticeable limp, I mean walking like a pegleg sailor ... definitely not comfortable walking without some assistive device.

Lee Webb answered me last night and said use a cane til you don't feel  you need it anymore ... so I am sure it's probably fine ... I just imagined it to be different :)

I suppose I am mostly impatient -- the rest of me feels fine (and my hip FEELS fine -- it just doesn't work quite right yet) so I want to get up and go!

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »
I would reckon you have nothing to worry about. what I would ask though is how diligently are you in following the exercises. the butt clenching, the leg lifts etc etc. they are crucial to making your recovery a success, and I would urge you, if you're not, then do follow the program carefully, push yourself a little. no pain no gain (but not too much pain, and the right kind, ie overcoming stiffness and a bit of tiredness, good pain).
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

RebeccaT

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
Hi, Matt -- I am very diligent -- I am doing more than suggested (nothing overboard, though...) and I purposely focused on those muscles pre-surgery too ...

Alas I am afraid impatience is my biggest problem -- but it's nice to hear from others who weren't ready to run a marathon at four weeks  ;)

jd

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
I'd say it's great that you don't really feel anything wrong with your hip! That seems really good by itself for the 4-week point. :)

I'd say keep using the cane as suggested. You'll probably improve rapidly once you can do more exercises at the 6 week point.

blinky

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:47 PM »
I still limp some at almost ten weeks. I take the cane with me on longer walks (more than say half a mile) and excursions, but don't always use it.

I was a bliat, so used two crutches on my long walks for five weeks. Week six switched to cane. Around the house haven't used anything for quite a while, but that isn't to say I moved well. I just liked having two hands to use.

This week I have started carrying the cane more than using it on the 2 mile walk. When I move purposefully and briskly I don't limp much.

FWIW I think I will carry it a while longer in stressful or crowded situations. The cane tells people not to bump into me.

tcarroll

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
I am going on week 5 of my second BHR,been off walker for about 4 day's and use cane to walk outdoors but around house I try to limit it.All n all seem to being doing ok,PT started last week and its going ok.Still stiff and have a limp but over time things should get better.My knee seems to be having some issues but hopefully I can work through that.So cane will be with me for a little while kinda like a security thing you now.Anyhow take care and take it easy and be careful

JHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 05:05:19 AM »
I was using a single crutch until 6 weeks. Didn't bond with the cane. I really didn't "need" it per se but based on advice I got here I concentrated more on good form letting the crutch assist me when need. Plus, it was a bit of a security blanket.

When I went to my 6-week follow-up my girlfriend thought I'd be insulting the Dr if I walked in with the crutch LOL. So that's the first time I went without, and the last time I used it.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Kingrob

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:43:48 AM »
4 weeks is very early in your recovery and I am sure you are going to have a great outcome. We all move along at different rates and to me the main thing is that you are showing some improvement from week to week. If your improving each week I would just let your recovery take its course.

I kind of relate this to my children when they started to walk. I have 3 boys and my oldest son started walking at a ridiculously young age. My kids are all in their 20's now and of my 3 boys my oldest is the slowest runner. Where he was at 8 months had nothing to do with how fast he would be at 18.

Good luck - it will work itself out.

mgloss04

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
Hey Rebecca,
I was curious on an update on your "limping" and weak hip. I'm closing in on week 8 post op from getting my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross, I still have a limp and am still week in the hip muscles. Where were you at about 8 weeks?
Thanks!

jd

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
Mgloss, are you doing the side-lying leg lifts?

Another exercise I found very helpful for strengthening those stabilizing muscles was standing on the operated leg with the knee slightly flexed and (in a controlled manner) moving the other leg forward, back, out to the side, around in an arc, etc. Basically make your operated leg try to stabilize you. This is pretty hard to begin with but it's a very functional exercise. Focus on trying to maintain balance.

blinky

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
Did you have your six week check up, mgloss? What did the doc say?

Lateral movement has been the slowest to come back for me. It has taken a long time for me to be able to do breaststroke kick, for example.

mgloss04

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
JD and Blinky,

I went for the 6 week check up and the Doc said I was progressing slower than usual, but he could not pin point why...
I am able to do the lying leg lifts (abduction) however I cannot do the leg lifts in the supine position because my hip flexors are weak and it's incredibly painful, which is very strange because I could do them no problem before surgery.
Also, when I go to balance on my operated leg like to put on pants I cannot do so without holding onto something or leaning way over, almost like I cant put full weight on it still, did you experience anything like that?

blinky

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »

Many people here famously hate those supine leg lifts. You can search the forum for people who waited to do them until three months out because the first attempts were so painful.

I have no trouble standing on one leg, either leg, but balance isn't always there yet. No pain weight bearing. I am still stiffer in some ways than I was; I can't curl up with my feet under me the way I used to, at least not yet. I can do all those leg lifts on each side in each direction, as noted elsewhere, but I was very uneven to start. My right hip could do anything, my left hip was slower and needed hands to get started with the left side lifts at first. At four months, I am evening out. (I was bilateral.)

But I still find weaknesses. We are away from home and I am having to climb stairs all the time (first floor master at home.) My hips are sore from all the up and down. (Not joint pain; it is all muscle pain, and little muscles at that.) And I haven't really tried to stretch yet. I do the Phase II stretches, which don't challenge me, and am hesitant to go beyond them until six months.

Dr Gross wasn't concerned? Give it a little more time. Think about finding a PT to target your weaknesses. Three months felt much stronger than six weeks fwiw. At three months I traveled with a cane just in case. At four months I didn't pack it. At six weeks I remember being excited about all the new things I could do....and finding out my body wasn't always ready to do them.

Could you give it until 10-12 weeks and then reevaluate? Did you start off with any disability? Like low bone density? Some amount of time having laid off exercise due to pain? How long did you suffer with arthritis before surgery? I have some bad habits from years of left side pain.

Good luck.

jd

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Standing on one leg requires (relatively) strong abductors, the same muscles that are used in the side-lying leg lifts. When you say lean over though, do you mean to the side? or forward? If forward, your hip flexors might be limiting you as they also stabilize in a one-leg stand which would correlate with your difficulty on supine leg-lifts (which I also struggle with, but it's good enough that I don't have any real functional issues associated with it).

If the supine leg lifts are difficult, try doing them in an easier way. Support yourself if necessary and stand on your good leg, then bring your operated knee upward, leaving your calf dangling vertically. Don't go past 90 degrees, but I'd say it still does the job even if you only get to 45-50 degrees. Hold for 5 seconds and then slowly lower it back down, repeat.

Similarly for stability on the operated leg: stand by something for support, but use it as little as possible, and work on reducing your reliance on the support. Always keep your standing leg flexed slightly at the knee and focus on keeping your torso stable and upright.

I agree with blinky on giving it some more time, there's huge variance in healing time, and prior dysfunction due to the arthritis can wreak havoc on our muscles. Try the things I suggested above as ways to do functional strengthening in a way that you can moderate the difficulty and let us know how it goes!

JD

RebeccaT

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
mgloss in reply to your question -- I am about 10 weeks out now and still limping slightly. However, I can't say that it's because of the surgery or just because I limped for so long before. I don't notice it, but others do. (I actually do notice it when I wear high heels -- not very high, mind you -- but I am at the point where i am wearing them occasionally regardless).

I am not a fan of the leg lifts but I do feel they are helping make my legs stronger. If I really THINK about walking I can do it without a limp ... so I think it's possible, just not my normal habit. I may ask Dr Gross for a PT referral so someone else can help me work on it.

I haven't heard back from my 6-week followup stuff (heard they got it, but no response although when I followed up Friday she said it would be a couple of weeks...I am getting a little frustrated with that, but oh well...) What made Dr Gross say that you are progressing slowly?

I am also still putting my pants on in a slightly funny way but I can tell things ARE getting better every week or so, so as long as that is happening I am okay with it. I haven't been able to walk as much due to weather and work so I am hoping that as Spring rolls around, my leg will get stronger just because I can be more active.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat