+-

Author Topic: ? About Cost of Implant  (Read 2930 times)

tcarroll

? About Cost of Implant
« on: January 14, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »
Who covers the cost of the device is it included in the Drs charges or does it fall under hospital charge.Just curious,was looking at my BC ummary and looks like Drs Bill was $4047 and he settles for $1600 under BCBS,that doesn't seem like much for what he does.Maybe I am wrong.Just curious.

Thank's

blinky

Re: ? About Cost of Implant
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »
Interesting question. I haven't seen my hospital bill yet, but seems like there was a device charge in my initial bill from the doctor. I can't remember how much it was. It wasn't much, so maybe the wholesale price (jk).

Some docs don't take certain insurance because they feel they are not adequately compensated. For example, not uncommon for a doc NOT to take Medicare because he feels the fee is too low. I agree the fee you reported seems pretty low; surprised the doc takes BCBS. Maybe he makes up for it in other charges or for other services?

Back to the devices: sometimes the implant is chosen by the hospital. The hospital has a contract with a manufacturer, so the choice of device is hospital driven. I heard that from one OS, a guy who just does THR. I was trying to find out which device he uses and why. He gave me an answer, but he wasn't raving about his device, and I guess that explains why. He was a general OS.

Saf57

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
I looked at my hospital detailed bill, and the cost of the "implant" was listed on it, and not on the separate bill of the surgeon.

jd

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
Same here. Hospital bill and >$10k.

JHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »
Hospital in my case, and I "think" that's normal.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »
Finally got the statement from insurance and I don't see the implant listed. Maybe it is buried somewhere under a weird label? Maybe I will get a bill for it? Maybe they will put a lien on it if I don't pay? (JK)

The good news is insurance paid for the hospital, all in network, all paid.

Going into this experience, we were ready to pay to get the best care. Surely a hip is worth at least as much as a new car! Even a luxury car! We did pay the travel expenses though we probably could have submitted them to insurance. Dr Gross was OON as was Lee Webb as was at least one anesthesiologist, so we have had some significant out of pocket expenses. However, the total hasn't been that bad.

jd

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
Implant is definitely billed by the hospital w/ Dr Gross. My insurance just lumped it into a large generic total on their explanation of benefits though so it wasn't obvious there. I dub up the itemized bill directly from the hospital and it's definitely there :)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats