+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone? Synovo Preserve - metal/ceramic on poly with Dr Pritchett  (Read 12983 times)

buckeyefans

Hello -

My wife is considering resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett.  So far, he has been quite helpful and accessible.  The Synovo Preserve device is what he has initially suggested, pending further exam.  It appears he is the only doc using this device.  He also does the BHR, which might be an option for her at 5'9".  There isn't much objective information of the Synovo Preserve device - can anyone speak to this device? 

Thanks   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:33:03 PM by buckeyefans »

Michigan97

Re: Anyone? Synovo Preserve - metal/ceramic on poly with Dr Pritchett
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
Hey, Buckeye,

I have some firsthand experience for you. I had my hip resurfaced on June 30, 2015 by Dr. Pritchett; he used the Synovo Preserve. I had a great experience. His staff was quick and efficient from the start. Aside from that, my surgery lasted about 1.5 hours, I had the spinal block, and dissolvable suturing. I'm extremely pleased seven months out. I have been biking and running for months on my new hip (I bike 5-7 miles a day, 3-4 times a week; I run 1 mile 2-3 times a week).

I was initially schedule to have a metal-on-metal BHR, but the risk of metallosis scared me. Besides, having a cemented piece guarantees you a total hip replacement sometime in your life. My aim was longevity. The Synovo is titanium nitride (if I remember correctly) with ceramic coating and cross-linked polyethylene liner, which means if anything wears out, it will most likely be the liner and easily replaced. I have been happy thus far and I highly recommend it to your wife, especially since there is a higher risk of metallosis among females. Why put your kidneys through that?

And, by the way, Go Blue!

buckeyefans

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
Great to hear! (except for the "go blue" part!  haha) I just shared your experience with my wife.  We will be traveling from out of town to have the surgery.  Any suggestions or lessons learned that you would have done differently? -- I assume you traveled from out of town as well?  Like you, she likes the option or possibility of replacing the bearing surface if it would wear out.  However, he's the only one doing this device, and I suspect he'll retire one day??

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
Besides, having a cemented piece guarantees you a total hip replacement sometime in your life. My aim was longevity.

Hi Michigan97, thank you for the information about the Synovo Preserve. So little is known about it. Your statement that a BHR guarantees you a total hip replacement is without any merit or support anywhere that I can find. This statement affects almost everyone on this forum. Where did you get information that would support this statement?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
Hi

Did you see the videos on Dr. Pritchett's page about the Synovo Preserve?

http://surfacehippy.info/dr-pritchett-interview-featuring-information-about-hip-resurfacing/

Dr. Pritchett is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon.  If you choose a really experienced hip resurfacing surgeon, he will tell you what he thinks is best for you based on his experience.  Some surgeons prefer certain HR devices because they use a lot of them and have excellent outcomes.

Good Luck.  Let us know how things are going.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »
"besides, having a cemented piece guarantees you a total hip replacement sometime in your life."

Any actual evidence to back this statement up? Bearing in mind McMinn and Treacy who developed the unique cement protocol for the bhr have yet to see a cement failure at over 20 years since they switched to the hybrid fixation. The bhr uses low viscosity cement which is driven into the cancelous bone and creates what's called micro interlock. The bhr is what's called line to line so there is no cement mantle as exists with other devices
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Saf57

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
I would also like to know what the source of the statement is, particularly if it is Dr. Pritchett. Even Dr. Gross, who himself now mostly uses an uncemented femoral component, while theorizing that this may be preferable to the cemented fixation in the BHR device(in his view), will concede that there has been thus far no evidence to support the conclusion that the cemented femoral component will eventually fail.

buckeyefans

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
Yes to viewing Dr Pritchett's video -- I think we've viewed every video on this site from every doc!  haha.  We also spoke with him after he viewed my wife's MRI/XRays.  Thanks to all the helpful responses!  Conventional information from even the best ortho surgeons in our area (Indy) varies radically from "hip resurfacing is a scam" to "hip resurfacing is an important option to be considered".   

MattJersey

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:41:27 AM »
the guarantee caught my attention too. I think there must be a small misunderstanding. with bhr I am simply not expecting it to wear out in the cup (but would expect that with a polyethylene cup).

the cement is used only on the femoral component. and cement or not, my understanding is that any failure of that is likely a THR (regardless of whether the cup liner is replaceable).

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »
What company makes the synovo? Just curious.

Good luck and Go Bucks!

buckeyefans

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
I'm not sure...http://www.synovopreserve.com/  Dr Pritchett apparently is the only doc using this device. 

pritjw1

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
I am happy to clear up any confusion about Synovo Preserve.  I have offered polyethylene as a bearing surface option throughout my career. The results have been quite positive. We will continue to report specific results at scientific meetings and in the peer reviewed literature. Synovo Preserve refers to the concept of polyethylene for resurfacing rather than a specific manufacturer or device. There are several useful devices and we will offer the best choice for any given patient circumstance.  James W. Pritchett MD

TCG

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
I am a long time lurker, first time poster. In the Winter of 2009, my left hip failed on a trail run.  I spent the next 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong. After going through several rounds of Seattle doctors, I found Dr. Pritchett. He told me I needed to have my hip replaced. I started crying in his office.  He explained hip resurfacing to me as I explained I have been a runner for 30 years and a serious rock climber for 25.

In August of 2009, he resurfaced my left hip with a BHR. My recovery was stellar.  I started rock climbing after 6 weeks and running trails after 3 months.  Fast forward to the Summer of 2015, when my right hip failed hiking.  I went to SurfaceHippy and learned that Smith and Nephew had suspended the smaller sizes, which means me.  Dr. Prichett said it was time to resurface my right hip.  I cried.  He said I would still be able to run and climb with a Synovo Preserve device.

He installed my new hip on November 17, 2015.  This recovery has been even easier than the first time.  I started walking with crutches on my dirt road with snow in 6 days.  The walks started short, but within 3 weeks after surgery, I was walking 2 miles.  I started climbing inside in 6 weeks.

3 times now, I have run a mile or so, mixed with walking over 3 miles.  I am climbing now at about 75% of my maximum difficulty.

My right hip feels great - it feels more natural than the left. I started PT at 2 1/2 weeks and it has worked wonders.  I feel like I have recovered more quickly and my gait is natural.

I am really happy with the Synovo Preserve and Dr. Pritchett.  I'm ready for the summer!

JHippy

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
That's really great to hear, TCG. Please keep us posted.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

catfriend

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
I had this device implanted by Dr. Pritchett on 1/19/16. So far, so good. All the pain that led to the surgery was immediately gone. I am working to document my experience on hipresurfacingwoman.com as most of the first person experiences one finds are by men. I'm a bit behind in my updates, however. There is a synovopreserve.com website, in case you haven't found it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat