+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The "90" degree rule ????  (Read 3277 times)

badbone

The "90" degree rule ????
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
Looking for clarification on the 90 degree rule. (post surgery)

I have a 36 inch inseam, and just about every chair I sit in, I will "break" the 90 degree range.
I am concerned on the plane ride home, how will I maintain a less than 90 degree seated position?

Any recommendations?  Even in first class, with my inseam, I will be breaking the 90 degree rule.

How long is that 90 degree rule in effect?  It is my understanding that it does NOT relate to the implant, but rather to the suturing of the tendon???

Your input is appreciated.

Thank you.
3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

Re: The "90" degree rule ????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
Can you bring something to sit on? Ask for pillows/blankets to sit on? Sit slumped i.e. in a slight C shape? Keep one leg out straight?

It lasts six weeks. The first few days it is tough to manage out in the world, being weak and wobbly and stiff and trying not to break 90 degrees, but as you feel better and get stronger, it is fine. Be very fussy about where you sit the first week or so. Still particular after that, but you will know your limits better. (Like how to lower your body with torso straight onto a chair using triceps and legs.)

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
Not all HR surgeons have the 90 degree rule. Mine (Dr. Brooks) does not. In fact, while I was in my hospital bed the day after my surgery, he came into my room and had me pull my operated leg toward my chest, to demonstrate to a visiting doctor the lack of restriction. It may depend on the surgical approach; Dr. Brooks uses the anterolateral approach.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
Hi

I think the best thing you can do is call your surgeons office and talk to them.  Better to get solid info than asking us.  Depending on your surgeon, he might not think it too important depending on the time of the flight.

Ask some questions and don't be sorry by taking our advice - even though it is usually pretty darn good!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jd

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:57:42 PM »
Whether or not you have the restriction depends on the surgical approach, but if you have it (like I did), best idea is just to slide your butt forward (not great for your back but it'll prevent breaking the rule). You can also sit higher on cushions, etc.

badbone

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:36 PM »
Thank you for your postings!!

43 days and counting.........til surgery
3/30/16 re- surfaced

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat