+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Riding the bigger horses  (Read 9888 times)

LMS

Riding the bigger horses
« on: February 27, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »
I was wondering if any of our riders on here ride larger based horses or drafts?  Or if you did, did you have to make compromises or have to go down to a narrower horse?

In all my years of teaching therapeutic riding, I've never come across a client that had hip surgery (debridement, resurfacing, or THR) until I myself became affected.  I unfortunately had to retire from teaching because my hip could not take walking in the soft arena footing.

After my debridement, it took well over a year before I could get back up in the saddle & I did have to make accommodations.  I needed a narrower twist in the seat, a dressage saddle was preferable over a western saddle (because of the twist which is the width of the seat at its narrowest point), a QH or TB type horse was preferable over a haflinger type horse (medium back as opposed to a wide back).

My concern at this moment lies with my 17hh Shire horse.  Luckily she's what we'd consider a medium/wide but still is wide when you consider the rib cage as compared to the lighter riding horses.  I'd say like a nice big warmblood with smooth gaits. She is a rescue of neglect, abuse & starvation, so I have been taking my time to rehabilitate her (since July 2012) & have had the pleasure of sitting on top of her on 2 occasions before my hip started deteriorating very quickly these past 2 years.  My husband doesn't think I'll be able to ride her again to continue her training & wants me to rehome her.

I'd rather find out if it will be possible to get back up there after the resurfacing before making that decision.

Thanks  :)

LMS

Re: Riding the bigger horses
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
I guess I will find out in 6 weeks if it will be possible to sit on my Shire.   ;)

LMS

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
Quick update...

Still have not climbed up aboard the beastie.  My hip is still tight & have soreness after I straddle the saddle or the big exercise ball.  I also stopped doing my physio 4 months ago (after the 4th month post surgery appointment) which was not a good idea.   :o

LMS

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
I'm hoping to crawl up the behemoth in the next week.  I've been sitting on top on my little 14.2 hh Appy for the past 5 days since she is much closer to the ground...  Baby steps prepping before taking the giant leap.  Lol!

Horse rider

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »
Does anyone know what happened with this story??? I will need to ride lots of different size horses after my surgery.

LMS

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 01:32:33 AM »
Hi Horse Rider,

I'm still not riding because my hip is still very stiff & sore when straddling.  I can't last more than 10 minutes unfortunately.  Not the norm from what I've read from other fellow hipsters.  Everyone is different, I have a lot of scar tissue (we're assuming) which the doctor has said I can still do whatever I want to try & loosen things up as the new joint can take it.

As soon as our deep freeze is over after this weekend, I'll be getting back on my little 14.2hh Appy.  As for my 17hh Shire, she hasn't been well this year, so everything came to halt with her training back in May.

LMS

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »
Now that spring is on its way, I've re-started with Ceilidh's training.  Poor girl had a rough 2017 putting any thoughts of riding back on the shelf.  I'm hoping 2018 will be kinder to her.  :)

LMS

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »
Getting closer to sitting on my big girl.

As my new chiropractor is sorting out my skeletal issues (neck, scoliosis & SI) to improve my posture & way of moving, I am taking "yobility" classes.  Both are having such a positive impact on my hips' mobility & strength which has already started to show when I raise my leg over the horse's back.

Ceilidh is still having IAD & TMJ issues, so as I take care of both our issues, I'm spending my time working at the mounting block.  Today I had my leg over her back & was so close to just hoping on.   :)

LMS

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
I finally have just enough strength & mobility to be able to sit on my Shire.  So a week ago, I put her western saddle on (it's my son's, a 19" seat!) & climbed on board for just a few minutes & it felt nice.  :)

Tomorrow I will see about putting the dressage saddle on & sit on her again.

LMS

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
As you can see, 17hh is pretty tall for me.  I'm only 5'1" :o

LMS

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »
Last time I sat on her was April 2014...   ;)

Ta-dah!

Quig

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
YEAH!! Congrats!  8)
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

LMS

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
I was really hoping to have a wonderful update re riding my draft but unfortunately Ceilidh has a setback with her Trigeminal Neuralgia 10 days ago.  :(

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear