+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meniscus Complex Tear and Hip Pain  (Read 3389 times)

hipnhop

Meniscus Complex Tear and Hip Pain
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
Guess I was using HR too much and tore my meniscus.  Had a popping feeling on a long run.  Then the pain.  MRI confirmed it was tear on meniscus plus some arthritis.  Surgery soon.  However, now I have a dull ache pain in my right HR hip. Ortho said knee pain travels but this sucks. It reminds me of before HR days of which I dont want to go back. Any other Hippies with torn meniscus out there with some advice?

HipnHop

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

chuckm

Re: Meniscus Complex Tear and Hip Pain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
Your post is not totally clear. You tore meniscus in left knee? And now right HR hip is getting really sore since the meniscus injury?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »
hipnhop, how are you?  Are you still racing long distance tri?  Years before I had HR, I had maniscus surgery on both knees.  Left side was a ruptured patella tendon and a small tear in the maniscus.  Right side was a large flapping tear in the maniscus.  Two seperate surgeries; left knee first.  Then when I started running again my right side was killing me.  Second side was easy, I was walking in a day or two and running in less than a month.

Just like with HR; find the best surgeon you can.  Frank Cordasco at Hospital for Special Surgery did both my knees and both my shoulders.  Bilateral HR with Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Joint Disease.  I'm all back together and racing short course tri and doing great
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

shoraztri

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:24:19 AM »
Hi Woodstock Hippy,
Great to hear you are back racing Tri and in the Sprint. Every race is a bonus, so enjoy them and keep on racing. Cheers,
Kiwi Boy Down Under. :D

LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

chuckm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »
Hi hipnhop, I re read post and the clue about knee pain travels tells me the meniscus tear is in the right knee (same side as your hip resurfacing).

I had knee problems on same side knee. I saw an orthopedic who said it is not uncommon that hip replacement and hip resurfacing patients can experience knee pain on the same side as they get more active. A properly moving hip must internally rotate during the stride. Any tightness there and it translates that lack of rotation down to the knee where the knee has to twist to complete the stride.

I worked on internal rotation stretching and my knee is 100% fine now even though the menisci both have irreparable tears in them. The fact is that many peoples knees may have meniscus tears that do not present with symptoms. Yours might have already been torn. If the knee is constantly twisting and torqueing it can really aggravate them. There are a lot of reasons that the knee can make popping noises. 

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM