+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Longer Leg needs hip resurfacing  (Read 9625 times)

Zach

Longer Leg needs hip resurfacing
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »
All,
I am a 33 year old male with a left hip that has almost no cartilage left due to the way my hip joint fits together(incorrectly).  It has worn down over time and I am no longer able to play soccer/sports/run/or do much of anything without pain. 

I have been told ever since college that I have a leg length discrepancy.  I do not know if the discrepancy is due to an actual leg length difference or due to problems in the hip.  I have worn a lift (1/2inch) in my right shoe to put less pressure on problem hip.  That seems to bring my hips close to even.

My longer leg(left) is the one that I am planning to have a hip resurfacing done on.  I'm worried that this discrepancy will only get worse, or stay the same and cause more problems.  I plan to ask Dr. Brooks(Cleveland Clinic) about this issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the longer leg being the one that needs resurfacing?

Are there any changes that can be made during surgery to even out if this is an actual leg length difference?

thanks!

blinky

Re: Longer Leg needs hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »
Ask Dr Brooks, but from what I understand leg length can't be manipulated too much during resurfacing, and if anything, the resurfaced hip gets a little bit longer.

Is it a true difference in leg length, or is the leg length difference due to some compensation? Like protecting the bad hip?

Good luck. I'd be interested in the answer.

Zach

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the response blinky.
Yes, from what the PA told me, the discrepancy wouldn't change much through the procedure.  Just wondering if there is any room for adjustment, maybe take an extra couple millimeters off the top...

I don't know if it is a true difference or not, and that's probably the first thing I need to find out but no one gives me a definitive answer.  I've had people tell me yes but that seems to be an opinion without any real proof and then I've had doctors/chiropractors lay me on the table and do the hips up pull the legs bit and they seem to think I get back to even.

I'm wondering if this is something Dr. Brooks would look further into or if it is something I should try to figure out before my appointment.  Not sure exactly how to do that though.

thanks again, I'll keep updating this post as I go

Saf57

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »
I think your situation may be a bit unusual, as typically the hip with the severe osteoarthritis would result in that leg being shorter, by virtue of the lack of cartilage(and hence spacing) in the joint. I think that the resurfacing surgeon can play around a bit with length. Clearly this is something that you should discuss with Dr. Brooks once he has examined you. He may have a solution for this issue.

Zach

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
Yea I think it is unusual as most seem to be shorter on the side that needs to be repaired.  I believe the top of my femur does not fit into the socket correctly so that is the main cause of issues but I don't think it would be enough to cause a big difference in length.  Will definitely talk it over with the Doctor.
Thanks

Zach

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
Just to update anyone who saw this post. 

I saw Dr. Brooks and he told me the leg length situation can't really be rectified through the resurfacing - if it in fact is an actual leg length discrepancy.  I don't remember his exact words but he basically said that he wouldn't want to give me a shoddy resurfacing in trying to adjust for possible leg length issue. 

He was still very confident that this was the best procedure for me and that I would be able to get back to all the things I was doing before. 

So I will hope that the leg length discrepancy is not actually structural and is somehow rectified by fixing the hip - or that it is really just a non issue overall.  I was able to play soccer and other sports with really no issue up until the past couple of years when the hip worsened - so that leads me to believe it could be ok once the hip is resurfaced, even if there is an actual discrepancy.

Surgery is Friday so I'll be holding my breath for a couple weeks in hope that things will work out well.

blinky

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:26:45 PM »
Good luck, Zach. Here is hoping it was just compensation.

Zach

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks!!

landes21

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
Zach, I'm wondering if you went through with the resurfacing. If so (and you read this), what were your results?

catfriend

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
What Dr. Pritchett told me is that a shorter leg can be made slightly longer with resurfacing, but a leg cannot be made shorter. Hence my shorter left leg can be lengthened when I have it done. The leg length issue caused problems for me with my back. The heel lift worked for me as well.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat