+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Badbone's Resurfacing Story  (Read 23439 times)

badbone

Badbone's Resurfacing Story
« on: April 02, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »

Details:

H/W= 6'4/238 lbs
Previous Surgeries: 2006 FAI/Cam, 2012 FAI/Cam with labrum fixation (same hip)
Athletic level: weights 4-5 days a week, extreme skier, college athlete

The day was March 30, 2016.
I flew in from California on Monday March 28th.  I made sure the trip wasn't just about the surgery.  It is of course ALL ABOUT THE SURGERY, but for our caregivers, we need to be aware of their needs too, and not just think of ourselves.  So I saw that one of our favorite bands was playing in Durham, so I secured some tickets and surprised my GF. So we took a 5 hour flight into Charlotte, rented a car and drove another 146 miles to Durham, where we grabbed dinner and treated ourselves to one of the top bands of the 1980's.  DURAN DURAN.  The show was great, and it was nice to do something for my caregiver because I knew that I would NOT be such a good patient once the surgery took place.

The show ended around 11:30 and we drove back down to Concord.  Where we spent the night and got up early to drive to meet Bruce at Providence Hospital.  He was great.  Gave us a lay the land and explained step by step what would happen as the day progressed.

From there, I met with Dr. Gross, where I was x-rayed, picked up crutches, etx, and did the DEXA SCAN.  My dreams came thru, and I was granted FULL WEIGHT Bearing after surgery since my bone scan was top tiered. 

He answered my questions as I kept drilling him about the 90 degree rule.  He laughed and said don't worry about it as much as you are.  Just be aware of it.  Finally I took his advice and stopped concentrating on it.

We grabbed some lunch at the Blue Marlin in downtown Columbia, and then picked up all of my presecriptions, some water, Gatorade etc.  Staying at the Marriot next to the hospital was amazing.  The ease and proximity made that step a lot easier.  What I wasn't happy about was that they were renovating the lobby and putting down new tile.  I could just see myself getting thru a successful surgery, only to slip and fall in the lobby of the marriot.  It never happened, but it was on my mind.    My surgery was the 2nd of the day and scheduled for 9am.   When I arrived at the hospital, I was brought back around 6:30, where they changed me, shaved the surgical site, and then had me wait.   Lee came in and marked the CORRECT hip with a smiley face, and said it would not be much longer.  My nerves were  in check due to the happy juice that started to flow in my IV.  I remember being wheeled in and asked to move on to the surgical table.  I leaned forward for the spinal, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in my recovery room.

Stiff, SORE AND WEAK are the 3 sensations I was feeling post op.  Dr. Gross came in and said everything went perfectly.  They got me up out of bed and had me walking down the hallway right away.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't want to stop.  I wanted to keep walking.  Of course I was with both crutches, but I was walking.  Not really in pain, but rather stiff is how I would describe it.

I did the prescribed isometric exercises as I lay in bed.  I watched some tv, and then loaded up on pain meds to make it through the night.  I was hoping for a easy night.... Guess again.
I believe I fell asleep around 9:30......which felt like eternity.  Then all of a sudden, this loud alarm went off......I was PISSED.  I had NO idea where I was, or what the alarm was.  I was so disoriented because of the surgery and the pain meds.....I think I tossed and turned in my bed....trying to get out of the bed...or something. until I finally relized that the alarm was a medication alarm .. The IV had finished pushing in the antibiotic.  Finally the nurses came in and settled my down.  I was not happy.  I just prayed I didn't break the 90 degree rule during that chaotic time.

I managed to fall asleep, and slept til 7 am.  I was greeted in the moring by my GF and PT, OT etc.  I completed all the exercises including the spirometer.  I was instructed on how to get in and out of bed.  I got up and walked the hallway some more.  Still really stiff, and "crunchy" is how I can explain it.  no pain, just tightness and stiffness.

They were holding a group therapy session and so I attended that.  Showed you how to walk up stairs and curbs etc.  Then I was released.  It was nice to get out of the hospital and back into the hotel.  Once there, I iced my hip and reloaded up on pain meds.  Lot and lots of fluid to avoid the dreaded  constipation man.

Grabbed some food later that night.  Didn't feel to well so left the restarant early.  Got back to the hotel and went to bed.  The next day (Friday, we checked out and drove up to Charlotte Airport  (131 miles away) so we didn't need to do that in the early am.  Our flight back to CA  was at 7:30am.   So we found a Marriot 1 mile from the airport and stayed there Friday night.  That was the worst night.  I couldn't get comfortable sleeping, the room was hot despite the AC at full blast, and I was getting cranky.  I told my GF to remember the concert :)

Got up at 5am and drove to the airport.,  Got a wheel chair and went thru security.  I was hoping this was going to be a quick process.  Wheelchair, full docs on my surgery etc.  That could not be further from the truth.  Since I didn't want to stand up unaided in the X ray machine, I opted to be patted down.  Which I was.  Then my bag was searched.  For some reason it triggered an alarm.  So I was patted down again.  Yup  # 2.  And bag was searched again.  The bag was then swabbed for explosives and triggered another alarm.  Oh boy.  Now I was getting frustrated.  AND angry and PISSED.  2 pat downs and 2 bag swabs.  Then they pulled me into a private room and did a more thorough pat down.  So after 3 pat downs and 3 bag swabs, I was finally allowed thru security. I am sure I didn't look like a nice person.  I stand 6'4 and 235, and grumpy.  So by being delayed I was getting pissed.

Got on the plane.  Took my pain meds and fell asleep.
5 hours later, back in CA, and now back home.

Take aways

1) Dr. Gross was my surgeon and wouldn't have it any other way

2) I wasn't prepared for how stiff I would be after surgery

3)Preventing the 90 degree rule break is challenging but not impossible.

4) How the hell do people survive BI Lateral resurfacings?

5) How long til the stiffness goes away?

Looking for other tips of people fresh out of surgery.

I hope this implant gives me my life back, for many many years.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:03:00 AM by badbone »
3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

Re: Badbone's Resurfacing Story
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »
Badbone! I have been waiting for your story.

Sounds like it went well, except for a few hiccups (the med alarm and the airport. Suspicious man in a wheelchair with fresh surgical dressing? C'mon).

You did a GREAT thing thinking of your GF before the surgery. That was very considerate.

Good luck. I look forward to the next installment.

Quig

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
I too, have been anxiously awaiting your report! Congrats on getting through the process and to "The Other Side" as they seem to say around here. It's great to hear your were pleased with the process and Dr. Gross. I hope your recovery is smooth and your new hip is everything you want it to be and then some.

I think it's great that you two found a Duran Duran concert to attend prior to the surgery. My girlfriend and I fly out for SC on Weds and seeing as we have Thurs-Mon free to explore, we're tying to find fun stuff to do to pass the time and keep our minds off what will be a tough following week.

And, regarding your 'Takeaways'... I coulda done without #4!!!  :'( :'( :'( ;)

Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

jd

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:04:05 AM »
Great to hear the report, seems like you're handling the early recovery very well! Also great news that your bone density is all in order. I think you'll be amazed at how much progress you make day-by-day and then week-by-week.

Yup, blinky and the other bilats are insane ;) -- I really liked having one good leg!

Very glad to hear you're doing well, and do keep us up to date on your recovery.

badbone

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
4 days post op.

I am now 4 days post op. Two things I am still waiting to have happen. One is have a bowel movement and the second is to have the swelling go down on the operated leg.

I have been taking colace religiously and I am drinking fluids non stop. If you have any suggestions on what works in terms of inducing a movement please advise.

I am still pretty swollen on the operated thigh. That is what is causing the tightness. I am using ice packs and the ice machine. I think I walked on it too much and it's letting me know.

The pain is very low. It's more achy and stiff than pain.

Quig - you are going to do well with your bi lat. if I needed both hips done I would not hesitate to do them at the same time. Cutting your recovery time in half is well worth a little pain on the front end.

On a side note, one of the guys in my group therapy class was patient #2 for uncemented hips with Dr. Gross. That was 9 years ago. He said it is as good as new and still going strong. . He was in having his other hip done. That made me feel great.

Update: Colace has worked as directed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:29:51 AM by badbone »
3/30/16 re- surfaced

badbone

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
4 days post op

I have been very diligent with the exercises.
Just be careful when you do the toe curls to make sure you don't irritate your heel.
For some reason I irritated the skin on my heel and caused it to become super sensitive. Almost like a burning sensation.

I'm icing now to see if I can reduce the swelling. Someone called it LOG LEG.
It's definitely added 7-10 pounds of fluid onto my weight as indicated by the scale.
Freshly showered today and feeling great. It's amazing once you get your bodily functions back on track how much better you feel

3/30/16 re- surfaced

jd

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »
I should be clear that my comment above about bilats being insane was facetious!  :D Hopefully I didn't scare anyone with it.

Badbone -- I found narcotic intake to be by far the biggest thing that impacted bowel movements (or lack thereof). I also took some fiber supplements but it wasn't the night and day difference that just reducing the narcotics was. Since you're really looking for that situation to change but not in much pain, have you tried cutting back a little on the narcotics? Obviously you don't want to cut back and find yourself in a lot of pain so I'd recommend doing it cautiously but it's something to consider.

With the swelling, everyone is different, you'll just want to spend lots and lots of time attached to the ice machine and probably reclining to keep the leg up. It'll go down in time with that.

blinky

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
Congrats on your great success! Getting everything moving really does make you feel so much better.....

badbone

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
Quig

You are going to ace your Bi- Lateral resurfacings!

Think positively and learn from Blinkys experience and others before her on how to prepare.

We will be thinking about you all next week.
3/30/16 re- surfaced

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Congratulations Badbone.  Things will start to move along more quickly soon.  Great story.  I will be following you and will put you story on the main website after a couple months.

Good luck.  Don't push it.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Quig

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction! Keep up the progress.

And I hope you're right about acing the bilats but I'm going to keep my expectations low and just take it easy. Fly out next week for the pre-op appt on Thursday and the surgeries are the following week.

badbone

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
5 days post op.

Thigh swelling has gone down considerably.
I have started to ice more frequently as well as elevate my thigh while resting.

Sleeping still remains a challenge. I  really sleep in the fetal position because of the surgery I am forced to sleep on my back. I have on two occasions placed a large pillow between my knees and slept on my side for about 10-15 minutes. But that still is uncomfortable and a little bit painful.  I am still preoccupied with the potential of crossing my knees or ankles while sleeping on my side   
So I have reverted back to trying to sleep on my back throughout the night.

My mobility has improved greatly. I can walk unassisted but choose to have one crutch  with me at all times.

I also feel that my muscles have loosened up more with each day whereas I don't feel as tight or as stiff when approaching the 90° angle   

One of the ways that I get in and out of bed is I will walk to the edge of the bed where my feet rest and then I will lean back and push myself backwards onto the bed so that my legs are flat and I'm dragging them in a horizontal plane as I  inchi my way towards the head of the bed.   It's the best way I've found to keep my leg straight and not break the 90° rule.   

Since the ice machine uses a lot of ice I have filled up Tupperware with water to make blocks of ice to fill the polar bear and that has served me well   

No pain. Just stiffness.

3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:31:26 PM »
This sounds like such good progress. You are getting more comfortable in your body and using the new hip.

Sleeping: I slept really well in the recliner and still do. I feel like an old person dozing off in front of the TV! The bed was and sometimes still is a challenge. Do you get outdoors? I find that really helps me sleep.

badbone

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

Thanks Blinky.

I have started to walk outdoors.
It's going to be in the 80's thru Wed so I'll enjoy the nice weather.

This sounds like such good progress. You are getting more comfortable in your body and using the new hip.

Sleeping: I slept really well in the recliner and still do. I feel like an old person dozing off in front of the TV! The bed was and sometimes still is a challenge. Do you get outdoors? I find that really helps me sleep.
3/30/16 re- surfaced

Quig

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Badbone! Sounds like you're making really good progress.

I'm dreading the back sleeping as I'm very much a side sleeper also. I plan on using a recliner but have no idea if it'll work for me. Do you have a recliner to try? Also, I've read on here that putting pillows under your legs while sleeping on your back is helpful for some. I actually tried it last week and was able to sleep on my back a bit. Maybe it's worth a try? Your trick to get the bed sounds like a very good idea.

And, thanks for the hint about making ice for the ice machine. I think I'll stock up the freezer before I leave.

I hope the good progress continues.  8)

badbone

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »

Quig

Yes I have put pillows under my legs while sleeping on my back and that has made a big difference. I am 6'4 with a 36 inch inseam  so sleeping in a recliner might be difficult but I will consider anything at this point since sleep is critical to the healing process

Thanks Blinky.

I have started to walk outdoors.
It's going to be in the 80's thru Wed so I'll enjoy the nice weather.

3/30/16 re- surfaced

badbone

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
Post op day 6

Today is a great day! I was able to accomplish 2 goals.

1) in the middle of last night I was FINALLY able to rotate onto my non operated side (right) and move into a fetal sleeping position. It's these small wonders and accomplishments early on that indicate progress. It felt so good to sleep in that position but just as important I was able to move my operated leg without much pain or muscle tightness.

2) I got up this morning and greeted my body with fresh morning air at 6:15 am as I ventured out for my first loop. I was able to walk (with both crutches) a 1/4 mile. No pain at all. Maybe a little tightness towards the end but the hip felt great. Before I sit down to ice I am going to do my exercises.

I will follow up tonight and let you know if my walk created any unwanted consequences
3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
Yay! Sleeping...walking...it is the small things.

Okay, a nice side benefit from walking outside I experienced was that my neighbors became my biggest fans. I had no idea how many people were watching me move from two crutches to cane to nothing.

jd

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
Great stuff badbone! You've gotta love how quickly progress comes. Are you comfy sleeping on your side? I'm impressed if so! I was super happy to just be able to get onto my side with a pillow between my knees initially but it didn't last long before I had to go back on my back.

badbone

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
Great stuff badbone! You've gotta love how quickly progress comes. Are you comfy sleeping on your side? I'm impressed if so! I was super happy to just be able to get onto my side with a pillow between my knees initially but it didn't last long before I had to go back on my back.

It was a welcomed change from being on my back. But yes. I would have to resort back to being on my back after 5-10 minutes.  But the fact that I was able to do that rotate my body without feeling tightness in my hip made me smile
3/30/16 re- surfaced

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat