+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral with Dr Gross, April 2016  (Read 20611 times)

Quig

Bilateral with Dr Gross, April 2016
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »

One down, one to go...  8)

This has been very long, painful, stressful, emotional road. I have fought my hip pain for years and it has had a significant effect on my life. I'm 39 now and have always been very, very fit and active. I Road-raced motorcycles for many years at a pretty high level and was in tip top shape during that time. I also enjoyed running and soccer once upon a time but had to give those up years ago. Since then my quality of life has been drastically changed by my hips. A few years ago I discovered mountain biking and was hooked. For a time it really seemed to help. Last year I rode over 3,500 miles in the dirt and climbed more than 500,000 feet. I love pedaling. I also just generally love to be outside especially with my girlfriend and dog. I miss hiking with them. A few months ago even pedaling started to be uncomfortable. I finally threw in the towel in November and decided it was "time". I was on a hike with my girlfriend and my dog and to say I had a rough time of it would be a huuuuuge understatement. That was in November 2015 and the rest is the result of decision made that day. This site has been absolutely invaluable in helping me with my decisions and learn what I was getting myself into and I cannot express how much I appreciate it. So, THANK YOU to Pat and to all the members who've shared so much here. Seeing as that information has been so helpful to me, I decided to add my own story to it so, here it is.

After doing tons and tons of homework I chose Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC, for my surgeries. I had read an awful lot of very good reviews on him and watched and re-watched his interviews many, many times. He, his staff and the hospital seemed to earn universal praise and as such I set my expectations cautiously high. So far everyone I've dealt with has exceeded my expectations significantly. I believe that the combinations of fantastically skilled surgeon (and also one helluva nice guy) combined with loads of Southern Hospitality have reinforced that I made the right decision. I'm from California and while there are plenty of pleasant people there, South Carolinians put them to shame. People are soooo kind and friendly here.

So, surgery one is DONE. So far, so good. Dr. Gross said I had been 'riding on the rim' for quite a while. He resurfaced my right hip (the baaaaaad one) yesterday and I'm scheduled for the left tomorrow. The process has been very straightforward so far, they really built a very well run machine. I'm up and walking around even without crutches if I'm careful. So far, the hardest part is getting up from sitting or out of bed and I know both are going to be problematic for a bit and significantly more problematic as of tomorrow without the use of a good leg.

Thanks again for everyone on this site who has posted their experiences here to help prepare those of us who follow.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:14:17 AM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

badbone

Re: My story; Bilateral with Dr Gross, April 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
Great to hear Quig!!
Welcome to the club!!
Stay positive and stick to the rehab plan and you will do great.

Wed is the next chapter as you receive your 2nd implant!!
The great thing is that you already know what to expect !!

Look forward to reading your updates!!

3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
I had that impression about Dr Gross, too: that as much good stuff as I had heard about him and his people, I was still pleasantly surprised.

So one down, one to go!

My only piece of advice is to be careful not to faint when you get up. Feeling good, trying to be more independent, beware of low blood pressure.

Ljpviper

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »
Congrats quig, just saw Dr. Gross now at his office. My surgery is tomorrow at 730, good luck with the second.

Larry

Quig

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »

Badbone, you're right, I'm waaaaay less worried about the second surgery now that I've been through one. I am definitely NOT looking forward to not having a good strong leg to help but I'l manage somehow.

Blinky, I've already been up and around a bit and also got to take a shower which felt great! I did get a little bit whoozy upon first getting up but nothing terrible. I've been up and around quite a bit since with no problems at all.

Larry, good luck! I hope everything goes awesome. You're in great hands with Dr. Gross and all the staff at the hospital are very, very nice.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:00:01 PM by Quig »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
Quig Thanks for the update.  Glad things are going well.  Dr. Gross and his fantastic staff will take good care of you.

Let us know how the 2nd goes.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jd

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »
Fantastic quig, best of luck with the second hip!

Quig

Re: Bilateral with Dr Gross, April 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I'm currently kicked back wrapped up the Polar Care unit on both hips and resting following the second surgery this afternoon. According to Dr. Gross my surgery today on my left hip went very well. He said it wasn't nearly as bad as my right but had all the same problems just that it wasn't as severely deteriorated yet while still definitely being bone on bone. 

The combination of the drugs and just the toll this has taken on my body means that at this point sleep is not the slightest bit problematic. All I have to do is close my eyes and I wake up an hour later laughing at all the whacky dreams I have.

One thing I've noticed is that immediately following both surgeries my knee (on the surgical side) has been a bit sore. I suspect that it's from the twist they do to dislocate the hip to gain access to the parts needing replacement.

As usual, everyone I deal with continues to be very, very nice.

Ljpviper

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »
Good to hear, quig you must be around me somewhere. The hospital is great. What time was your surgery? Did you see the table with all the tools, I got a glimpse then I was lights out.

Good luck,

Larry

Quig

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm in 3302 Larry. Yeah I saw the tools too and then I was out. My surgery was scheduled for 1:30 today but I think we got a little bit of an late start.

How you feeling? Everything go ok? Did they get you up and out of bed today? I hope things are going well for you.

Ljpviper

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
He started at 730 on me and lasted an hour. Yep got up and walked a bit around 3, you were probably in the surgery recovery room.

Right now I just feel the surgical pain the groin/arthritic pain seems to be gone as I am comparing it to my left side.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:47:37 PM by Ljpviper »

Quig

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
I think I was in surgery about then. I'm glad to hear that you're up and around... Will very likely see you at our PT session tomorrow.

I'm the same on the pain. Zero actual 'bone pain' but plenty of soft tissue gripes and stiffness. That part doesn't concern me as I know it's all part of the process.

blinky

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
Bionic hips! FWIW one ankle was sore and I figured it was from the hip being dislocated on that side.

You two should have a lunch date.

Quig

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
Let's see, Day 3 on the right hip, Day 1 post surgery for the left.

Today was a very tough day. I had plenty of of nausea and a pounding headache too. I'm able to get up and around ok but it hurts. Once I get moving I do ok, but the act of actually getting up ain't easy. I can't believe how much my right hip has improved in just 3 days. I hope the left follows in a similar timeline and that the right keeps improving.

Dr. Gross came by this morning and told me everything went well and he is very pleased with the results.

I met Larry in the afternoon PT class, looks like he's off to a very good start. Saw a couple new faces too and everyone seemed to be taking the struggles in stride and overall doing well.

So far, the one absolute constant is that I LOVE the ice machine. I keep it on a lot and it feels great. I'm not having much swelling at all and I'm sure that's part of the reason why.

I'm fortunate to have my girlfriend here and she's doing an incredible job trying to keep me comfortable. Also, everyone I've dealt with that works at the hospital has been great.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:48:46 PM by Quig »

Ljpviper

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:55 PM »
I commend you on doing both in a week. My op leg is basically useless. It will start improving.

As many others stated in the first few days are the killer. Dr. Gross did five surgeries on Monday and Wednesday and I think he's got 4 tomorrow. So like 14 in a week, unreal.

blinky

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
Yes, getting up was the hardest part at the beginning. Once up it was okay. Every day it will get easier.

badbone

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 11:30:27 PM »
Quig

Great to hear.
Sounds like the meds are helping with the pain

And yes I commend you as well for going bi lateral.
Twice the fun in half the recovery.
In 15 days you'll be amazed at the progress.

Glad to hear you and Larry met up.
It's nice to put a face to a story.

I look forward to reading your progress.
Just think..... The waiting is over and you are now finished with both surgeries.

Now get ready for the mental and physical part of getting back home.
Use the tools they gave you and get home safely.
I sat on an ice bag prepared by the flight attendant and it made all the difference on the 5 hour flight

3/30/16 re- surfaced

blinky

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
Hey Quig, so you had one hip done Monday and one on Wednesday? Released today? Remind me when your pre op was----last Friday? Thursday?  I have a friend here who is about to schedule bilateral surgery in SC and I think she was looking at MW surgeries, too. (Mine were WF.) I was wondering what the MW pattern looked like. 

Quig

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
Pre-op was Thursday for my Mon/Weds surgeries. I was supposed to leave today but I'm going to stay another night. I've run into a really bad batch of nausea and Lee thinks I may have a spinal headache from the spinal anesthesia. We're treating it now and I'm feeling much, much better. Coincidentally I just got a text that one of our fights was cancelled so now we fly out on Sunday. Considering the circumstances that's a very good thing.

blinky

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
Oy! Getting home is the hardest part.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM