+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip pain when running - a possible answer  (Read 2562 times)

hipnhop

Hip pain when running - a possible answer
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
I've been plagued by pain at the 6 mile mile mark when running.  I recently went to a PT regarding a meniscus issue. I shared with him the story about hip pain when running. He did an examination and found out my glutes and hamstrings were extremely weak, causing undue stress on my IT bands.  For the past six weeks I 've been working on building strength in the area with a noticeable difference in my run and swim kick.  I was able to do a 500 kick set (with flipppers) without cramping (I COULDN'T EVEN KICK A 50 METER WITHOUT CRAMPS SETTING IN) and a five mile run without any pain (just knees).

Just to think it wasn't the hip at all. Should have paid attention to importance of pt work well after the six weeks post op.

Hope this helps others.

HipnHop.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jd

Re: Hip pain when running - a possible answer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
Low-bar back squats are great for building posterior chain strength. Barbell training solves a lot of muscular issues :)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »
I'm with you all the way on this.  Once we get through the surgery and recovery, it's easy to forget about our exercises and get on with the fun stuff in life like swimming, biking and running.  About a year and a half after my bilateral surgery, my left side was buckling going up stairs.  I ended up at the Chiropractor for about 8 sessions and a PT for two months.  The chiro worked on breaking up scar tissue and then the PT got the glute firing and built my strength back up.  That's when I made up my ''mantainence routine'' of stretching and strenghtening exercises to do once or twice a week.  After a few years of good training and very good short course triathlon results I l forgot about the maintanence and sure enough the left glutes started to fail again.  I'm back on my routine once or twice a week and all is good in Hippyville again.

Next up; American Zofingen Duathlon in New Paltz, NY.  I'm in for short course; 5 mile trail run with 5 tough climbs, 29 mile road bike with 3 murderous climbs and a 50+mph downhill,  same 5 mile trail run again.  May 15
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:29:22 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

jd

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
I think the key is overall general strength and scar tissue work (foam roller, lacrosse balls, etc). I'm not convinced the isolated exercises are as useful long-term.

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
I think the key is overall general strength and scar tissue work (foam roller, lacrosse balls, etc). I'm not convinced the isolated exercises are as useful long-term.

Yes, scar tissue work is crucial.  I am partial to Active Release Technique (A.R.T.), which is basically made to break up scar tissue quickly and efficiently.  I had my first ART appointment at 6 weeks post-op, and have gone every month religiously ever since.  There's no way I'd have been able to return to masters sprinting or run the Boston Marathon 2 years after surgery without ART.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat