+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: More questions:  (Read 2484 times)

triathloner

More questions:
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »
Well I'm still trying to locate a doctor in my area who are experienced enough to help this 38 year old to receive a resurfaced hip vs. a THR.  I have located a bunch through the birhimgham website.  My frustration is how to get the info I want to set up an appointment.  First and foremost I want to know how many procedures they have done?  What is their plan of attack if they have to switch to THR?  What type?  ETc.  etc. etc.   But all I get is well call you back! I'm not sure how many?  blah blah blah.  It's frustrating, they stand to gain $50,000 and they all seem to come off too busy, except the one doctor who isn't accepted as in network for me.  I don't want to make an appointment with someone until I know they are the one.  Any advice, if not thanks for listening to my venting.  al.
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Re: More questions:
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »
where are you al?
- tom
rbhr 7/1/08

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »
Where do you live?  Have you looked at the doctors list on this website?  It shows how many hip resurfacings they have done.  If you let me know where you live, I can recommend a doctor to you.  I have met the majority of the top hp resurfacing surgeons in the world and interviewed quite a few of them.

Vicky

triathloner

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
I should have included that info.  I live in Northern Minnesota, zip code is 55744.  Dr. David palmer is listed for Minnesota, and Dr. Rogerson in Madison which is about 8 hours away.  Unfortunately Dr. Rogerson is not in my network  :-\ :-[ .  I really like the idea of the hip hab program that he has. 

Big Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
Triathloner ---Double check with Dr. Rogerson ...a lot of surgeons will find a way to take your insurance. It is just a matter of them signing up  ;)!  Who is your insurance provider  ??? ? If you can not ultimately find one closer to you...find one that is reasonably close. It will be worth the trip  ;D!

Best of luck , Big Bill --resurfaced 7/9/08 -- Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy  8)

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
Is your name Al, Traithloner?

What would it involve in going out of network?  Does that just mean you would have to pay a little more for it?  Check your policy because they usually will have a maximum amount you will pay if it is out of network.  Then take a look at how much you paid for the car you drive and think about whether or not you are worth it.  I paid $12k out of pocket and flew to India to have one of the world's best do my hip resurfacing, Dr. Bose.  He is the surgeon that resurfaced Cory Foulk the triathlete that ran a marathon 2 days short of three months post op, then went on to finish 5 Ironman's and 2 Ultraman's since his surgery.  It might be more than that by now. 

Dr. Rogerson resurfaced Scott Tinley who was back to full on surfing at six weeks post op.  Then there are other hippies that I have personally worked with that were within a doctors first 50 surgeries, and they are facing revision surgeries to THR's due to malpositioning of the components and femoral neck fractures, or excessive metal wear due to impingement, again because the newer doctors placed the components off.  That WILL happen in the early surgeries with the newer doctors, that is a plain and simple fact. 

I could not afford to go to India, but I took out a HELOC (Home equity line of credit) and went to Dr. Bose, for me it was that, or stay here and get a THR.  At 48 years old,  I felt I was WAY too young to get a THR.  I believe I was well worth the $12k it cost me to get my hip.  There is nothing that I can't do today, I wake up thankful every single morning that I found out about hip resurfacing when I did AND that I chose a master surgeon. 

I have been to several orthopedic conferences and have learned a lot over the past three years.  If you go to Vicky's corner and read my overview of the recent Belgium conference you will see the importance of picking an experienced surgeon for the best outcome.  I am really afraid there are quite a few patients walking around with misplaced devices from newer surgeons and they are just not aware of it. 

You really need to pick an experienced surgeon, you are only 38 years old and have a full active life ahead of you IF you have an experienced surgeon do your surgery.  How about Dr. Su in NYC, I believe he is one of THE top if not the top surgeon in the US now for hip resurfacing.  The different surgeons will cut different muscles and tendons and some sew them back and some don't.  Some preserve the neck caspule and some do not.  Being a triathlete, you need someone that takes care in putting everything back in it's place.

Vicky
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:17:55 PM by Pat Walter »

triathloner

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
Vicky-

Yes it is Al.  I agree with everything you have said, and have been thinking about all of it the past few months.  My main problem is I have 4 children 20 months to 12 years old, and my wife stays home with them.  I am probably looking at $10,000 total with the balance bill portion from Blue Cross.  I am afraid my family would have to make too many sacrifices for a quite a few years if I go that route.  So I am really hoping to find someone in network.  What about Dr. Gross in South Carolina?  He appears to be in our network, but it seems maybe he has some extra charges for assistants or something.  What do you think? 

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Dr. Gross is excellent, he mainly uses an uncemented device which is not yet proven.  It could very well end up being the best device years down the road, but currently there is not enough history there yet.  Just try to do what you can to get to an experienced surgeon.  This is the rest of your life at stake.  Did you check your policy to see if there was a maximum out of pocket if you went out of network?  Sometimes that number is a lot less than the 20% or so they say you are responsible for.  Read the fine print.

Vicky

triathloner

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
Yes I did check my max out of pocket is $3000, but Dr. Rogerson's office wants a check for $6100. up front for the balance bill portion that BCBS doesn't pay.  And honestly I don't blame them, I know BCBS is good at knocking cash off allowed payment at all hospitals.  It is just frustrating. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »
Hi Al

Dr. Gross has a lot of happy patients.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Gross_Hip_Stories_
If he is in your network, you should check him out.  He will give you a free consultation if you send him your info and x-rays either digitally or by snail mail.  He will call you on the phone and talk with you.  Since it doesn't cost, it is a good source to find out what he thinks of your situation.

Have you looked at my list to see if there are any experienced surgeons on it that are in your network?

I don't know much about insurance since I don't have any and had to travel overseas for my BHR.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat