+-

Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 3690 times)

LMS

Stairs
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
I have a question about people who live in a 2 story house (or any housing that you need to use a flight of stairs).  How did you manage after surgery?  From the day you were sent home to the 6th week.

Ljpviper

Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
I have a lot of stairs in my house. I had the right hip done recently.  Just go up with the non operated leg, much easier if you have hand rails.

Larry

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
As noted already, it really is a breeze. Like so much pre op, the not knowing is the problem. I will be very surprised if you find it any trouble at all. Maybe don't carry a basket of washing or a tray of drinks :) but even that isn't a problem soon enough!

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

LMS

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
Thanks!  That's what I figured.  We live in an old farm house with curved stair cases.  My husband was wondering how to tackle them, since when I had my scope on the left hip (same one that's now getting a THR) I was recommended to avoid stairs.  Which made sense since PT didn't start until week 6.

I told him I'll be fine, they want you to walk the day after a THR anyways & I'm already walking about with a cane anyhow, tackling the stairs.

badbone

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
I have a question about people who live in a 2 story house (or any housing that you need to use a flight of stairs).  How did you manage after surgery?  From the day you were sent home to the 6th week.

By the second week you will have no problem.
3/30/16 re- surfaced

LMS

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:40:21 PM »
Awesome Thanks Badbone.   :)

catfriend

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
As others have mentioned, regular stairs aren't a problem. I also have a spiral staircase in my house. Since you mentioned curved stairs, don't forget this: the flaw in curved/spiral staircase is stairs are wide on one side and narrow on the other. I was/am extra cautious on my spiral staircase, but it has not been a problem.

Paul_D

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
I have a 4 storey house including a tight spiral staircase that I had to climb to get to my sleeping area. At first I took it slowly step by step with the crutches, but it was manageable. This I had to deal with 3 weeks after both hips being done so I guess it was quite extreme case but as long as you take it slow its no big deal at all.
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

LMS

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »
Thank you Paul! :D   I will pass it onto my OH & friends who are all concerned about our stairs situation.  I told them I'd be fine.  Heck, if you managed, I can too!  ;)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats