+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: June 20th, 2016 THR  (Read 30487 times)

blinky

Re: June 20th, 2016 THR
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 04:20:08 PM »
I felt like my hips tanked once I set the surgery date, too. Some of it was real physical falling apart, some of it was letting myself feel how bad off I was after putting on a brave face for so long.

Glad you are having a face to face conversation with Dr B. You can go into surgery knowing exactly what the situation is.

LMS

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »
Thank you!  Your reply means a lot!  It's so nice to have the support from people who have & are going through the same thing.   :)

LMS

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »
Currently chilling on the couch... had two teeth extracted on Friday & one of them did not want to come out.  Took 1.5hrs to pull it out.  The other tooth came out nicely thank goodness.  I came back home with jobs that clients were getting upset weren't ready to pick up.  So I did my best to get them done.  Halfway through one of them, mouth full of blood, pain staring in the bone (half of face still well frozen) & face starting to swell... I had to go rest like the dentist had recommended.

LMS

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
I had my appointment with the Transfusion Medicine department to go over my blood test taken last week.  Hemoglobin is very good but iron is very low.  So more tests were ordered & I was given a prescription for iron supplements (300 mg twice a day).

I'm running out of time slots to where to squeeze all this in, in the morning.  ;)   Won't be so bad once I'm done the antibiotics on Saturday.

Tomorrow I see Dr. B & I get to ask him all sorts of questions & other than to explain what going on with both hips, what to expect & how to proceed with the "good" hip & why I was no longer a HR candidate, I am drawing a blank for any other questions.  I'm going to bring up the ball size.

Any other questions I should ask?  I already know he uses the anterior approach.

blinky

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
I will be interested to hear what he says.

As far as what to ask, Pat has a good list on this site that can be modified for THRs. And she has a THR specific list on hipsforyou.com. Since you have an active job, I'd be sure and ask about any short or long term restrictions that would affect your ability to work.

LMS

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
Good meeting with Dr. B.  He sat down, gave me his full attention, no rush & he answered every question I had very succinctly.  I feel much better & looking forward to the THR.

The reason I'm no longer a HR candidate is because the bone quality is no longer there.  So that being said, when the time comes with the other hip, it'll be straight to a THR.

I asked about which type of joint he will use and about ball size, and how will the joint impact my previous active life (mainly riding).  He mentioned that as long as I don't fall (of course, with any sport where there's a good chance of impact), I should be able to resume to my previous activities & the hip should last 25 years.  So whatever I feel comfortable doing.

We talked about my other hip & that if at any time I feel I need to see him, just pick up the phone myself & call for an appointment.  Now THAT was such a relief to hear, I wanted to hug him! I'm no longer at the mercy of a GP or the "system" for either hips.

To anyone looking for a surgeon in the Ottawa area & Dr. Beaulé's name ever pop up, having been a patient of his for 10 years now, you are in good hands.  He and his staff are great!  Yes, he's a busy man, no he will not cajole you, but yes, he is there for you & he knows his stuff!  If you feel like you need more clarification, felt like you were rushed, go home, let it all sink in, & then make another appointment & let them know you have questions, he will gladly answer all your questions when it's a quieter day & he can give you his full attention.

And on the day of surgery, having been there once already, I found his bedside manner very lovely.  So this time around, knowing full well what is happening, I'm not worried & have full confidence in him.   :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:59:37 AM by LMS »

LMS

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »
I forgot to add, he will be using a metal on polyethylene joint.
Had to call the dentist today, something doesn't feel right (which she said could happen) & a tooth (canine) right next to the extraction is painful throbbing.  So seeing her on Saturday[/size].

Still playing telephone tag with my hairdresser to get my "yearly" haircut done.[/font] ::)   As well as playing email tag with my farrier to get the girls done before surgery.  I have a draft horse & I think it would be best if I handled her as opposed to my non horsy sons. ;)   She's not the easiest to handle... unless it's my husband.  She looooooves my husband.

And all the clients that are calling for install jobs or signs, we're letting them know they need to have their spot booked by the latest, on the 17th!

Busy busy busy! :o
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:46:02 AM by LMS »

LMS

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Alrighty... bone shard making it's way from the front of the gums above the canine tooth.  Not where we expected it to come out. ???   But everything healing nicely otherwise  :D

Finally have an appointment to get my long hay mop cut off on Tuesday.  It's been ridiculously hot here these past few days, so maybe I'll get it cut shorter than usual so I don't have to worry about it.

I managed to lose 3 lbs.  So am currently at 161lbs.  I was hoping to have been lighter for surgery but, oh well, I'm sure once after surgery, it'll start coming off bit by bit as I become more active. ;)

Threeeeeee weeks to go!  Can't wait!   ;D 

The hip aches so much at night, making it so difficult to sleep.  I don't want to overdo it with the tylenol 3 because that's all I'll be able to have after surgery.  I don't do well with stronger meds like oxy.  (veins bursting in my eyes hurt like a SOB!)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:03:08 PM by LMS »

LMS

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »
Had a follow up with my family doc, requested by the Transfusion Med. folks to follow up on the low iron issue.  But they didn't mention which ones they already have done & which ones they want him to do.

I guess I'll call them & ask. (I was going to regardless for myself)

blinky

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
I took iron pre and post op fwiw. It was a prescription kind that was much less constipating than the iron I took when pregnant. Just throwing that out there.

LMS

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
Thanks.  You wouldn't remember what it was called would you?

The prescription I was given was Palafer & was told it was because they found it was better tolerated but man... it sure would be nice to go to the bathroom! ::)   Doesn't help that I'm taking a Tylenol 3 every day, sometimes 2.  I may pick up a little something to help when I go back to the pharmacy this afternoon. ;)

blinky

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »
Feriva.

It was a pleasant surprise!

LMS

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:22 PM »
Thank you  :D

Had my admitting appointment, at the General, on Monday, it went very well.  You first go to admitting to sign in & sign papers (type of room/coverage etc), then off to the PAU right at the top of the escalator.

I first met with the pharmacy nurse who logged in all my current meds I'm taking & the recent meds I took within the last month (especially because I was on an anti-bacterial medication, then antibiotic, then another type). 

After this, I met with a nurse, we went through everything again, making sure all the T's are crossed & I's are dotted.  Very thorough.  I was told which meds to stop & when, & which I to take & when.

Afterward, I met the anaesthetist.  A lovely doctor who has had a THR himself.  We discussed everything thoroughly as I was very apprehensive with getting a spinal.  But after talking with him, I felt much more at ease with the idea.  So I'm now 50/50 on which way to go.  He'll talk to me again on the day of surgery & we'll decide then.

Off for more blood work I went, then more x-rays so they can get the right sized joint.

The whole appointment took 2 hours only.  Everyone was wonderful, taking their time, answering all my questions.  They want to you to feel comfortable about the whole process & give you ample time to let it sink in.

LMS

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
One week left to go!  Can't wait!  I'm now going between a cane & a walker.  One day's worth is now spread into one week.  I honestly can't think of how I would've been able to wait until the fall.

I can't stay sitting, standing or lying down for more than an hour before stinging pain sets in.

So yesterday, my husband took me & the boys out to "Dessertfest" here in Ottawa.  Last weekend, I took my dog out to Dickinson Days out here in Manotick for our last outing together for a while.  Can't wait to be able to go do things pain free & assistance free (cane/walker/chair).  I will miss the temp. handicap permit though. ;)

LMS

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »
Started the celebrex this morning (10hrs ago) & my hip is feeling better now than it did when I took it.  Yay, it's working!  And I've been able to putter between the office & the laundry room.  Usually by now, I am totally done & in a lot of pain.

I reacted the same way when I was put on it 10 years ago.   :D

And on May 4, when I got the call, my weight had gone up to 164 lbs.  I decided to try my best to lose at least the 4 lbs off for next week.  I weighed myself this morning & I'm at 158.6 lbs!  Woohoo! ;D

LMS

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 11:21:39 PM »
Well, in 12 hrs, I shall be in the OR!

I arrive at the hospital for 9 am.

Wish me luck & I'll talk to you guys soon.   :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 07:11:33 AM »
I wish you the very best.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Let us know how things are going when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Go get 'em LMS!

LMS

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
Thanks! Surgery starts in one hour.   ;D

LMS

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 01:37:20 PM »
surgery went very very well.  I'll post more when I'm more awake.

I'm going home in 30 min.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat