+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: June 20th, 2016 THR  (Read 30580 times)

LMS

Re: June 20th, 2016 THR
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
Saw my mother's doctor yesterday & mom is good to not need me 24/7 & was told she can start driving (just around the village for now).  So my husband was knocking on the door at 8am this morning eager to bring me back home to... get back to work!  Lol!

I'm easing back into it & it's really nice to not have searing pain.  Now to get my brain back into work mode.  Lol!

LMS

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
Woohoo... I was finally able to cut my own toenails without pain.  It wasn't pretty & it was awkward but I did it!  ;D

LMS

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Guess who managed to walk without her cane for a good 7 hrs today, and do a bit of work, and make a quick 30 min shopping & fed her horses?   8)

Oh yeah, life is good!

A bit wobbly & muscles a bit tender from having to work properly without assistance, but I did it!

LMS

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
Great news...  my pt was very pleased with my progress (strength & ROM) that she gave me the two thumbs up to start resuming my activities (slow & gradual) & discharged me this morning.   ;D

I am absolutely thrilled!  I have returned to work last Friday & so far so good.  I take my time, watch what I do & how I do it, as well as take many breaks.  So far, so good.  (And good drugs help  ;) )

So... I can start "playing" with (meaning training) my dog & horses again.  And start working out for weight loss.   Awesome!  8)

LMS

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
Three months post op yesterday & things just keep getting better every day... as long as I remember to do my physio!   ;)

LMS

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 11:23:23 PM »
Though the day started iffy (stiff & achy in the hips), after doing my physio & taking my usual 2 extra strength advils & 1 T3, the rest of the day went swimmingly.  So much so that I attempted to clean out my draft horse's stall & I felt great afterwards.   ;D

LMS

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Little by little I add activities... I can now look after the horses myself chores wise.  And tonight I did a bit of training with them (lunging & long lining)& was able to keep up, as well as pick out all 4 hooves the normal way with no issues.

I did have to run 100ft rushing from one building to another (house to shop) & it wasn't pretty.  Mind you, it didn't hurt.

LMS

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2016, 08:05:50 PM »
Four months post op on Thursday & I feel great!  No more pain!  Well, other than the other hip...  ::)   I wish I could just get it done now & not go through all the debilitating pain that's started.  But, I have been cane free for a whole week!  Yay!

On Thursday I also finally spent a normal hectic day & other than some shooting pain down the ITB, the hip & glutes were great.  A typical day for me is sitting at the desk prepping files, then walking back forth between the workshop & house as I fabricate signs.  A lot of squatting & shifting side to side standing & squatting.  Lifting heavy rolls of vinyl.  Going to locations to do sign & lettering installs on buildings.  The only thing I have not tried is to go up ladders yet work wise.

And of course looking after my two horses, a 14.2hh Appaloosa & a 17hh Shire which requires effort there (and it's been crappy here with rain) so hoisting heavy rain soaked turnout sheets, walking the horses from one side of the property to the other.  What is so funny is that I was so worried with being around my 1600lbs draft mare who has demons she's still working through (she was neglected, starved & we suspect abused) & so far *knock wood*, she's been such a dear with me, so gentle & stuck at a slow speed.  :)

I haven't started working with my husky yet.  So no walking off property yet or resuming classes. Though, I am cautiously playing with my dog more (which looks like practicing for football) ;)   My short burst of running are improving also.

And also the Tylenol 3 & extra strength advil... taking these less & less!  Actually... it's been a week since I've had my last T3 & a few days too since I took 1 extra strength tylenol & 1 extra strength advil.   ;D

I don't do my physio 3X a day like I should though, I'm lucky if I remember to do it once a day & actually if I miss it more than 3 days in a row, my hip area will get stiff & sore.  Once I resume physio, that pain & tightness goes away.

I still sit in my english & western saddles often (not every day) & have started to sit on the inflatable exercise ball. 

I am having a couple of other health issues though, they were present pre surgery & have nothing to do with the hip.  But one will require surgery to fix & that will mean no more heavy lifting or heavy activities.  It will impact my work & my activities that I was looking so much forward at resuming.  It's quite a kick in the teeth... I finally get my active life back, I turn around & it's about to be taken away if I choose the rectify the problem.  It's a big enough surgery also, so lots to think about.

My follow up appointment with Dr. Beaulé was moved up.  I can't wait to see him on Nov. 3rd.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:43:29 AM by LMS »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
So glad you are doing well and making progress.  I also appreciate you posting your story.  Whether THR or HR, it is major surgery and the recovery stories are always helpful to new people.

Good Luck.  Keep up the good work.  I hope the other possible surgery will be successful with a quick recovery.

Drop by now and then and let us know how you are doing.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

LMS

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
Thanks Pat   :D

I plan on posting an update every month during the first year.  And then anytime I achieve a goal that is the result of the hip surgery.

The pending surgery is for a prolapsed bladder that, to boost up the percentage to a 95% success, will need to be done with a hysterectomy.  But it will cost me a 25lbs weight restriction from then on.  I am a very physical person & lifting 50lbs + daily, I am not ready for this compromise that will affect me profoundly work wise & personal wise.  I've spoken with people that have had this surgery, the women who are not physical people are all for it & don't see why I'm hesitating, the women who are physical recommend I try everything else (or just put up with it) before making the decision.  So lots to ponder on.  :)

And it always comes down to this: quality of life.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:41:12 AM by LMS »

LMS

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
I had my 2nd follow up appointment this morning.  Dr. B. had been called away to a surgical emergency, so I saw someone else instead. (which was fine)

Today's x-rays looked fantastic, the device has settled in well.  The doctor was very glad to hear that there is no more pain & pain meds are rarely needed now.  Though there is still a slight lift when I walk, I no longer look like a cowboy quasi modo & walk almost like a normal laydee. ;)  Lol.  I told him that even compared to when I was a teen, I walk 10 times better now.  Ha ha.

My strength, balance & ROM were checked & he was very very happy with the progress.  We discussed the activities I want to resume, what my day job entails & how to prevent complications.  Based on all that, he gave me the 2 thumbs up to get back into life & enjoy!  Woohoo!  Time to check out agility classes for my pup & crawl up on my ponies' backs!   8)

LMS

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
7 1/2 month post op & new hip still doing very well!  Other hip on the other hand, not that great.  But oh well, what can ya do?  Just wait. :P

Note to self... do NOT stop physio at the 4th month milestone.  ???   I got lazy, stopped doing my physio & went back to "normal" life.  Result of this: gained back 10 lbs & am stiff in the lower back/SI area.

Regardless though, it's nice to be able to wear nice boots with a heel & be able to keep up all day, do some short bursts of jogging, get in odd positions & lift heavy things again.  I'm still working on straddling as that range of motion is still somewhat limited.  (Which is why I didn't post a riding update yet on my other thread)

I did however, manage, ungracefully, to take part in a little 30 min Burlesque dance workshop last weekend.  I used to dance ballet before I married back in 1990 & haven't danced since.  I was so stiff & my glutes & lower back hated me for the next 3 days after but man, it was a blast!  ;D  And the new hip was awesome. [/size] Mr. Bean is more fluid & graceful than I was.  Lol![/size][size=78%] [/size] :o

So I decided I should start my physio again since it was really helping with my core & glutes.

LMS

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Woohoo!  I did it... I sat on my pony yesterday!  It was only for 5 min & at a stand still but it was absolutely fantastic!

I climbed up on a chest & slowly got on her, bareback, testing out the hip.  Sat for a bit, got back off.  Went & got the camera to take an ear shot & got back on & sat for the 5 min.  She is so wide.

Every day I plan on sitting for just a couple minutes longer, letting her warmth relax my muscles as they stretch.  Last time I actually sat on her was back when I first got her in 1999.  She just stood there as if saying "About time chick!"

Both hips became a bit sore 10 hours later but they are fine this morning.  :)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
Great news.  Just take it slowly.  You will be riding before summer.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

LMS

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
Yup... slow is my middle name  Lol!

Today I managed 10 min.  & all I did was concentrate on relaxing & doing warm up exercises as she stood still.  I am incredibly stiff on the left side.  And right now, the ground is absolutely unrideable, perfect time to just concentrate on me for the time being. ;D

blinky

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
That is great! You are on your way.

LMS

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
 ;D
Rode my pony!  Ok 5 minutes & with my husband at her head but still!  ;D

My hip is very weak & I can't hoist myself like you would normally.  So I use her rump for support as I crawl up on the trunk.  And she continues to stand rock solid as I drag my other leg across her rump.

LMS

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
Almost at my 10th month post surgery & I'm happy to report that I got myself a part time job in retail!!!

I'm a bit tender at the front of the hip & that's it! I figured I probably won't be able to go back to teaching riding but I probably could go work at a store in something equine related.  :)

And the extra cash will help when times are lean at my full time job to keep us afloat.

LMS

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
Even though I'm not at the 1 yr mark, I had my 1 year post op follow up appointment.  It was with a different doctor (not Dr. B).  He loved what he saw in the x-ray & said I had no restrictions (other than what I'd been previously told I could no longer do) & to do whatever I wished as long as I was conscious about it.

I asked about the tightness & pain from it, would it hurt the device if I forced it & should I push it to loosen up the area.  Answer: yes!  Because of the OA & the progression of it, it rendered the area so tight & atrophied that it was a good idea to push it (within reason of course, as with anything) to get the area limbered up & mobile again.  So that was a relief to hear.

I then asked if there was a length discrepancy, as it felt like my leg was 1/4" - 1/2" longer... he measured & it was only 1mm longer.  If it made me feel better until I got acclimatized to it, I could put a lift in the other shoe & reduce it over time.  And when they do my other hip, they'll have them both equal.  ;)

As for the other hip, whenever I need something, just give their office a call.  Right now we'll wait, I still have more good days than bad.  :)

I haven't sat on my horse since I started my new job.  I come home dead tired. 

LMS

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
Hasn't been another year yet but thought I'd post an update.

Some of you may have seen that I've started riding again (in the horse riding section).  Not a lot though, I depend on the weather since I don't have an indoor arena.  And it has been a pretty cold winter up until a week ago.  Plus the winter blahs are in full force.  I know what I need to do but I really don't feel like doing any of it.

My THR hip area is still very tight.  Which makes straddling uncomfortable.

Mind you, 3 weeks ago, I rode a mechanical moose for the first time & stayed on for a fair bit. ;D

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear