+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fatigue, lack of energy, tired after walks/meals  (Read 4408 times)

Andrevv

Fatigue, lack of energy, tired after walks/meals
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »
Greetings everyone,
I am 6 weeks out from a left resurfacing with Dr. Gross. Going great. Yet my one issue is energy.

I am walking just over a mile with a cane everyday, no pain. BUT, there are times when I feel completely depleted of energy after my walk, or after meals, as if metabolizing is a draw on my body. Most days I’m fine. I've walked a mile about 9x now without an issue. Some days, though, I get so drained and feel “off” all day and have to sleep for a few hours to recover. Today was one of those days. Right at the end of my mile walk, I started feeling that "low blood sugar," shaky sensation. And I got myself inside and rested up, feeling tired the whole day.

I’ve gotten a full panel of blood tests two weeks ago and everything was normal. I eat right, and still, there are days when the walk, the outdoor heat and humidity, or the meal just makes me want to crash.

My question is: Is this just me recovering from an intense surgical procedure, even 6 weeks out? I used to be very athletic --  even a beast when it comes to endurance and cardio-- so this is quite a change for me.

I’d love to hear any feedback. Anyone experience this energy drain, and if so how long did it take to resolve? (I go in for my second resurfacing in June.)

Thank you so much for reading.

ps: I browsed through the entire forum and found only 4 threads on this topic. I compile those threads here to save anyone time, in case she or he is experiencing this:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,4083.0.html

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,1916.0.html

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,600.0.html

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,345.0.html

Quig

Re: Fatigue, lack of energy, tired after walks/meals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »
I just missed you in SC, I'm 5 weeks out from Bilateral with Dr. Gross. While I may not be far enough along to give you the informed type of reply you may get from some of the other hippies around here, I can certainly confirm the fatigue.

I have been nothing short of delighted with my recovery but if there's one consistent gripe it is, without a doubt, the fact that I'm exhausted way more often that I'd like to be. It's still early for me so I haven't worried about it (yet!) and I just figure it's a result of the fact that my body is busy doing some very serious recovery and repair work. I'm working full time and getting lots of exercise and it's definitely kicking my ass. When I'm up, and on my feet I feel GREAT! However, I certainly pay for it and need way more rest/recovery time than I'm used to.

Can you walk without the cane or is it necessary? A mile a day seems to me to be pretty good for your stage of recovery. I think it's awesome that so many of us have such high expectations but I think we have to also be realistic, our bodies have recently been through MAJOR surgery and will respond in kind.

Have you checked in with Nancy or Lee at Dr. Gross' office?
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Andrevv

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:56:43 PM »
Hi Quig, Thank you for reading and replying! Yes, we must’ve just missed each other!

I share your assessment: things are going great, but I am just tired as hell. There are days/times when I feel great, even hyper (and I am 47 yo, btw). But if I don’t eat the right amount before my walk, I crash and feel so drained and “low-blood sugar” like.  It’s happened about 2x out of 12 walks, I’d say. I now suck on jolly ranchers while I walk to keep this from happening.

I did speak with both Lee and Nancy about this; with Lee a couple of times—and they recommended the blood tests just to make sure I wasn’t anemic or anything else. The whole issue started during my second week when I went out for a walk on my crutches and almost collapsed on the sidewalk at the end of it—I was that dizzy and weak feeling. I didn’t fall because my neighbor was there to save me…lucky me. That hasn’t happened again, thank goodness. It was a lesson learned: make sure to eat well!

I would generally like to say, to anyone reading this, that eating well is so important to your recovery process. It isn’t stressed enough, or at all, in the literature I read. You are always encouraged to walk, or do phase exercises, but remember to nourish yourself as well, so that you have the energy to exercise and heal.

Seems obvious, now that I learned the hard way.

Anyway, I walk without the cane in the house, for the most part. I walk with the cane on my mile walks, because it helps me stabilize, prevents me from wobbling and teaches me how to walk straight again. Both my hips are shot (one is fixed, one is not), and my non-op side feels way worse than my op side.  I can go upstairs, left over right, with no prob—with (again) my non op side hurting more when I climb.

So I feel I am doing fairly well, but this energy thing, I’ll be honest: it’s freaked me out, because it’s unpredictable and I never, ever had these issues as an athlete. It helps to remember, as you say, that "our bodies have recently been through MAJOR surgery."

Thank you, again, for replying! Best wishes for your recovery!

Quig

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »

Thanks!

I could not agree more with your thoughts on nutrition and, in my opinion, rest. I too have had a couple 'whoozy' moments and I have had to be careful when getting up after sitting for a long period of time. Once I'm up and walking I'm good to go, but I do have to be aware! Again, I think it's just a result of what our bodies have ben through and I'm convinced it will improve over time.

I'm glad to hear you've been in contact with Nancy and Lee and that your blood tests look good. Keep up the good work and progress, you'll get there!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Ljpviper

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
Hello, I also had my right hip done with Dr. Gross the same week as quig. I feel lightheaded sometimes still, especially getting up to quick after sitting. Seems to go away quicker now.

The great thing about these forums is sharing your recoveries and the challenges. I agree with quig, this surgery is major it will take time for your entire body to recover,  not just your hip.

My entire demeanor has changed, people say I look like a different person at work. I believe just the thought I was waking up in pain everyday just wears you down both physically and mentally. Zero regrets with the surgery.

Also, some people recover quicker than others, so dont get discouraged if you are a little behind.

Larry

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
Hello Andrevv, I got that weak feeling sometimes. Almost like you are turning pale and if it got any worse you could pass out. I was 46.
I'd say it lasted for three months.
If you don't already you should monitor your hydration. I  made sure I was drinking water regularly throughout the day and before walks too. I recall that helping with recovery.
Then there were days that I was tired so I didn't take any walks.
The first three months I really didn't walk that much at all because I simply didn't feel like it.
After three months I did feel like walking and I have had a fantastic recovery.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
Chuckm's first thought was hydration, my first thought was calorie intake. Are you restricting to control your weight? Maybe you need more, or need to eat more often during the day. I struggled with this the first few weeks. No appetite so I ate less, but then ran out steam before the end of the day. I made myself have a before bed snack. (This is no longer an issue. That appetite has come roaring back!)

My next thought is that you are somewhat deconditioned and just out of your routine and that makes you feel tired. I don't mean you should have been doing more; I just mean you are feeling dull from not doing your regular work outs. Back when I was completely healthy, pre arthritis, when I would take time off, I would feel unmoored and tired just from not having a routine. That leads me to suggest that you put yourself on some sort of schedule for sleeping, walking, and eating, and see if it helps. I had to give up naps because then I couldn't sleep at night.

And, like you said,  it could just be recovering from the trauma of surgery. Remember what was done to your body: hip dislocated, bone reamed, tendons detached. Ouch! Reason to be exhausted. Be patient with yourself. That would lead me to the opposite suggestion from the one above: take yourself off a schedule. Don't walk, spend more time chilling. During the first six to eight weeks or so, I found that I would need an afternoon off, just icing and sitting.

Andrevv

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
My entire demeanor has changed, people say I look like a different person at work. I believe just the thought I was waking up in pain everyday just wears you down both physically and mentally. Zero regrets with the surgery.

Also, some people recover quicker than others, so dont get discouraged if you are a little behind.

Thank you for replying Larry. I can certainly empathize. I'd say that the whole experience has affected me in the sense that it is humbling--from my declining mobility owing to two bad hips to recovering from surgery and being utterly dependent on my awesome spouse in that first week especially.

Main thing: no regrets either. I had to have these two procedures (one still to go). My op-hip already feels better than my non-op hip! 

best wishes to you.

Andrevv

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »
I got that weak feeling sometimes. Almost like you are turning pale and if it got any worse you could pass out.... I'd say it lasted for three months.

^^^This, a million times over. It's exactly what I experience. It's very heartening to know that I can expect this for another three months or so. Surely, recovery varies from person to person. I was just surprised at feeling this 6 weeks out, thinking I turned the corner on this. Nay.

I'm a big water drinker, so all good there. To me, it felt more like a caloric thing, as blinky below suggests. But even there, I'd go out on a walk after having half a bagel, an egg, two bacons, a banana, small OJ, and large glass of water, and would STILL feel by the end of my mile walk that I was drained, turning pale, and on the verge of passing out.  Not every time. But sometimes. The last time it happened, it was hot and humid, so any one reading this, do be mindful of the weather if you live in a place where it gets hot, as I do: heat is yet another thing your body has to cope with, and sometimes your body can't do everything at once: heal, devote energy to exercise, metabolize breakfast, fight off heat, etc. 

The docs tell us to listen to our bodies. Absolutely. Like you say, if I feel tired, or feel like napping, I now nap, even if it means skipping a walk for that day.

I really wasn't expecting this dynamic going in. I had assumed I'd only have to manage pain, not random, utter exhaustion. But I know now, and it really truly helps me that you've shared your experience here, chuckm.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Andrevv

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »
Are you restricting to control your weight? Maybe you need more, or need to eat more often during the day.

That was one thing that really helped--eating more meals throughout the day. I even keep peanuts by my bedside! In terms of general diet: I have something immediately when I wake up. And then, like a hobbit, have a "second breakfast." And then I have a smoothie (with protein added) in the middle of the day, like 3pm. THEN, I am fueled up enough to go on my mile walk, which I do with a jolly rancher always in my mouth. I had my second episode when I broke this patter and skipped the smoothie. So you are right about being on a schedule!

During the first six to eight weeks or so, I found that I would need an afternoon off, just icing and sitting.

Goodness yes. In fact, I am doing that today! It's rainy out anyway.  :D

Thank you for reading and replying, blinky. Best wishes!

jd

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
When I hear pale, almost passing out, I think about low blood pressure and consequently low sodium. Are you avoiding salt? I'd try upping sodium intake a little and see if that makes you feel better. Particularly if you're drinking a lot of water and flushing sodium out.

Andrevv

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
When I hear pale, almost passing out, I think about low blood pressure and consequently low sodium. Are you avoiding salt? I'd try upping sodium intake a little and see if that makes you feel better. Particularly if you're drinking a lot of water and flushing sodium out.

hi jd, thank you for your reply and apologies for the slight delay. on your advice, i took my BP during one of these spells (a mild one) a few days ago and my BP was normal. i am now remembering that when i had my first, and worst, spell about a week after surgery, i phoned the "on call" doctor and he also mentioned low BP as a possibility. i already manage hypertension, so we have a BP cuff here, good thing. in any event, i was relieved to see that low BP wasn't the issue.

this odd sensation really is just my body recovering from the surgery. more and more i am convinced of this, only because as more time goes by, the better i feel. best wishes to you!

jd

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »
No need to apologize!

Just to be clear, were you still feeling dizzy when your blood pressure was taken? The low blood pressure I'm talking about tends to be transient when you stand up after sitting or lying. As soon as you're feeling OK, your blood pressure is back in a normal range.

Andrevv

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
No need to apologize!

Just to be clear, were you still feeling dizzy when your blood pressure was taken? The low blood pressure I'm talking about tends to be transient when you stand up after sitting or lying. As soon as you're feeling OK, your blood pressure is back in a normal range.

hiya, yes I was still feeling off when I got on the bed and asked my wife to check my BP. and it was normal.

i forgot to say that when i had bloodwork done a few weeks back (results, all good), i was having an episode right in the doc's office, and my BP came in high! this was because i was kinda freaking out, tbh, with slight white coat syndrome! was having a feedback loop of feeling awful, and panicked about feeling awful, which makes you feel more awful.... that only happened once.

i am experiencing fewer and fewer of these episodes, as time goes on -- though i am gearing up to get my other hip done in mid June. back to square one, but this time with some experience, and a sense of what to expect!

Johng

• DeSmet bilateral resurf 2016 conserve plus
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 07:02:05 AM »
It took me about three months to lose the daytime fatigue. It will pass so hang in there.

LMS

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
And your iron is ok?

I had 2 or 3 blood tests for my iron in September & February & according to my family doctor & the OBGYN, they said it was fine but when I went to the hospital a week ago, it was really low.  The nurse told me it takes a while to get this low & since my hemoglobin was in the normal range, seems like my body is depleting the iron levels in order to keep the hemoglobin up, making it difficult for me to have a good reserve.  I hope this made sense.  She explained it far better.  I'm constantly experiencing the symptoms of low iron which are also symptoms of other things I have. 

I should ask her what test she did that my doctor should be doing instead.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat