+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Metal Ion Levels/MARS MRI  (Read 5235 times)

Dimples828

High Metal Ion Levels/MARS MRI
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
Hi Friends,
I have an 8-year-old left BHR and a 4-year-old right THR.  My Birmingham hip felt great until a few months ago when it started feeling achy - especially after exercising.  My metal levels had never been checked until recently and both cobalt & chromium are over 10.  Everything looks fine on the x-ray. My doctor sent me for a MARS MRI today so I am waiting for the results.  I'm not even sure what questions I should be asking my doctor at this point.  Any advise from someone who has been through this?

blinky

Re: High Metal Ion Levels/MARS MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
Haven't been through it, but wish you the best.

If I were in your place, I would get the MRI results, see what the doc says. Then I would repeat the ion test to see if I get the same results twice. I would go back to the doc(s) who did the BHRs with my results and ask him for advice. If he has some solution that is not a revision, I would investigate that. If he says I need a revision, I would ask if he would do it and about his success rate. I would get a second opinion (or two) from other doctors familiar with resurfacing revisions as well.

Good luck.

Sandspinner

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM »
Hey Dimple, Sorry to hear about the high numbers.  Blinky has given some sound advice in the previous response.  I'm a little higher than you (12) and fortunately feeling no ill effects.  A recent MRI showed no tissue issue as well.  I was wondering if I started donating blood on a regular basis would this lower the metal concentration in my blood.  It's something I'm going to ask my Dr. and will keep you posted.  Good luck.. Tony
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

Sandspinner

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
I ran the blood donation idea by a PA of Dr. Su and he didn't think it would make a difference.  I think I'm going to try it anyway.
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
How is donating blood supposed to help? When you donate the concentration of metal ions will remain the same in your remaining blood. You're just taking some off the top, not adding fresh in. Within a few weeks your body will have made all the blood you donated, and then you're in the same boat. I don't see how this would be of benefit. Don't let that stop you from giving blood. It's a wonderful thing, and lifesaving for recipients. I'm just not understanding the medical theory for reducing ion numbers.

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:03:22 AM »
 :) High Dimples828. You don't specify your age or fitness - doctor - prosthesis or type?. Exercising with a THR? The resurfacing devices are designed to be hammered much harder than a THR massively harder....
If they do not get a hammering they may ache due the bone to metal needs density and exercise ( and diet).
Otherwise it may just fall loose. Think about it. The pain maybe from the above issues and nothing to do with the BHR.  Is the THR Metal on Metal?
The survival rate of a BHR is some figures 95% life after 15 years that is something to be looking towards.
Diet, exercise. Just like a normal hip. See how you go.
Be helpful  to know some of those items about you.
Cheers K 8)

2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

CEK001

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
Hi everyone! 

Dimples828 please let me know your outcome!  I have a 5+ year BHR and just found out I also have elevated chromium and cobalt levels.  The doctor ordered me a MARS MRI, but started to speak about a revision to a THR with ceramic. I have been doing nothing but crying since yesterday when I found out.

I am a month short of 49 years old.  I have been a runner my whole life - completed marathons before this all began.  Just last year I got back into running as my hip finally felt strong enough to handle it.  And I've been increasing my mileage and training for a half marathon.  Sure my hip feels a little achy, but not too bad and I've been dealing with constant pain for 10 years. (two previous surgeries to try to fix FAI)

Before I jump off the ledge, please let me know what your outcome was....  I just can't wrap my head around another surgery in so short a time.  I thought I had a little more time and I've been so happy lately with my increased activity.... :(

Christine

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat