+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal ions concerns  (Read 3629 times)

Frontera

Metal ions concerns
« on: June 09, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
Hello all,

my first post here:) I'm 28 year old male with ankylosing spondylitis and will be having hip resurface surgery in few weeks. Main thing during consultation with doctor he said that I should be concerned about doing hip resurface surgery instead of total replacement one due to metal ions concerns.

Anyone have views about this topic? It's hard to find information on such a narrow subject. Am I right assuming it's not that uncommon to have children after hip resurface surgery?
If it's true how concerned should I be? Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:31:25 PM by Frontera »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Metal ions concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:50:52 AM »
Hi  Welcome to Hip Talk

You are very young and it seems a hip resurfacing might be a good option for you.  What surgeon are you considering?  What device are you considering?  Most surgeons won't give a woman a BHR.  Dr. Pritchett, Dr. Gross and sometimes Dr. Su along with the overseas surgeons will give women a hip resurfacing.

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-for-women-and-small-men/

I have a few articles and posts from women about hip resurfacing and pregnancy here

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing/hip-resurfacing-and-pregnancy/

Hopefully, another young woman on the discussion group might have an experience to share.

I wish you the best of luck and give us an update when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
I am another woman who had a resurfacing done, but was too old for pregnancy. My babies are in college, so I am more youngish than young. I went to Dr Gross, and would suggest you send your X-rays to him and to Dr Pritchett and see what they say about 1) getting a resurfacing and 2) getting pregnant after one. Dr Gross has loads of experience with all kinds of patients, including women, and will answer your questions frankly and honestly. Dr Pritchett uses a non metal on metal device, so you can dodge the metal ion issue entirely if you go with him.

Best of luck to you.

Frontera

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
Sorry I should have mentioned that I am a male;]] it's probably a bit odd for a male to ask that sort of questions;] Mainly I'm concerned about metal ions and if they can have any impact on children?(looking from heritage side)

Also I am from Europe and have a good native surgeon with good track record. But I have a feeling that he is a little overprotective. Big thanks for all comments.

Frontera

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
Thanks for link, I will definitely read it. And also I will add that it's metal on metal device.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
Ha! Good luck whatever your gender! (As a man you fall into a lower risk category, so that's good.)

Paul_D

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:38 AM »
Hi Frontera,

This was a concern for me at first but when you look at the devices and investigate further, these metal ions occur naturally in our body and do not pose a threat unless there is some excessive grinding going on due to incorrect placement.

Regards,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:20:11 AM by Paul_D »
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

Frontera

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing views. It's a bit of relief hearing these opinions. I believe you can also get metal ions from water and food so it's not that unusual. It's impossible to avoid all those little things that can have impact on your health one way or other, but it's sometimes hard to understand the weight of concern.

karlos.bell

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »
 :) Hi Frontera. If the device is installed correctly after 2 years the iron levels can go almost to Zero.
There is an artical somewhere on this web site that Pat has from Dr De Smet who has researched this.
I am one of his candidates and are at level 1 year with high but normal iron levels for his operation. Secondly the iron breaks down and or gets removed by the kidneys. Plastic does not and or ceramic....  so the body rejects some of this stuff around the joint if this happens. His results are well researched so I don't worry about it. The 3 year is the year the joint should settle down if it is placed correctly..... So it mostly comes down to skill.... and your surgeon.  There are some good ones in Europe and a lot more sizes than the USA so you should be good to go. The concern is placement!!!  Good luck 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Frontera

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 07:04:16 AM »
Hi Karlos,

Lots of useful information up there. Thanks for encouragement I'll use it:) Relieved that I can concentrate more on process getting better with Pre an post opperation I guess most important thing is to be patient with it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear