+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Marathon running possible after deltamotion THR ?  (Read 4059 times)

Varun

Marathon running possible after deltamotion THR ?
« on: June 17, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »

Hi everyone
My name is varun I'm 35 years old and live in Mumbai I have AVN in my right hip due to a car accident 15 years back. I'm scheduled for surgery with dr bose in chennai on the 25 of August. I wanted to get a bhr but Dr Bose told me that they have stopped producing the smaller sizes and he said he will try to resurface my hip in the operation theatre but the chances are only 30% of getting a BHR so he suggested a deltamotion thr.
I'm a very active person & Dr bose has assured  me that he will allow me to run marathons after the deltamotion THR. He also told me a deltamotion THR will have the same functionality as a BHR.I was told they use a bone conserving stem with this THR and that if at all I ever require a revision it would be as easy to revise as a BHR.
I just wanted to know has anyone gotten back to marathons or competitive sports after getting a big head deltamotion THR. Any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Tri Hard Alan

Re: Marathon running possible after deltamotion THR ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:10:53 AM »
I had to Google Deltamotion THR and after a quick read up the difference with that any normal THR seems to be the size of the head which with my limited understanding of these things would reduce the risk of dislocation in the early days (and going forward I presume) but does it help with running at all, let alone marathons?

Looking at the images it seems to still have a long stem going in to the leg and I presume that this is also a problem with an impact sport like running as much as the normal smaller head that being a smaller area produces more pressure.

These would be the questions I would be asking my surgeon, and other sources, before the operation.

Saying that, whatever procedure you end up with, I would forget marathons for now. Recovery targets need to be small, progressive and realistic. Simply concentrate on getting back running. Its a wonderfully diverse sport with lots of different and challenging options, the marathon isn't the be all and end all. I plan to wait at least 2 years before tackling a marathon, maybe more. The recovery itself is a marathon  :D

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:20 AM »
Hi Varun, the Delta Motion Total Hip Replacement is probably the best option out there if you are not suitable for hip resurfacing. Its bearing surface is ceramic which means it has a very low wear rate.
Dr. Bose is one of the best surgeons in the world so if he says you can run marathons then I would believe him.
The fact is you can run marathons with any hip replacement. It's just that you must consider how quickly you will shorten the lifespan of your hip device. Even some of the latest polyethylene total hips are lasting much longer now.
Good luck in August!

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Varun

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
thanks guys for your advice

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:33 AM »
Dr Bose is well respected of course. If travel is an option, perhaps a surgeon using a different resurfacing device could be possible, since it sounds like Dr Bose doesn't offer an alternative to Smith and Nephew who imposed the size restriction, maybe Belgium or US surgeons can help if you don't fancy the THR.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

mission_i3

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:06:28 AM »
Is there anyone who have done deltamotion THR in last few years? If you could share your experience after surgery & recovery It would be a great help. Thanks  :) 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat