+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: HR in a month  (Read 3521 times)

Matt428

HR in a month
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
I'm getting my right hip resurfaced mid August with Dr Su at HSS in NY.  Any advice on what I should do pre op (exercises, nutrition,etc) before my surgery. My pre op appt is only a week or two prior to the surgery. Was just wondering if anything will help me to recover quicker. Thanks!

Matt

blinky

Re: HR in a month
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
Hey Matt!

Eat right and work on your upper body strength. Good nutrition will help with your healing. Keep it up even after the surgery. I didn't use supplements or eat anything fancy, just protein at every meal and many servings of fresh fruits and veggies. And calcium rich foods. Do you drink milk? I do, but also put cheese on everything and ate yogurt. Upper body strength will be important when one leg is off line. I did dips, bench press, overhead press, rows and lots and lots of swimming, most of it pulling with paddles. The upper body work paid off. I was never sore from using my arms and was able to lift myself as needed until my hips were strong enough to do their work.

Oh, be prepared for some constipation after the surgery. Not everyone has it, but be ready in case you are one of the lucky ones.

Matt428

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:02:51 PM »
Thanks!

Hey Matt!

Eat right and work on your upper body strength. Good nutrition will help with your healing. Keep it up even after the surgery. I didn't use supplements or eat anything fancy, just protein at every meal and many servings of fresh fruits and veggies. And calcium rich foods. Do you drink milk? I do, but also put cheese on everything and ate yogurt. Upper body strength will be important when one leg is off line. I did dips, bench press, overhead press, rows and lots and lots of swimming, most of it pulling with paddles. The upper body work paid off. I was never sore from using my arms and was able to lift myself as needed until my hips were strong enough to do their work.

Oh, be prepared for some constipation after the surgery. Not everyone has it, but be ready in case you are one of the lucky ones.

BozemanHip

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
Matt,

I posted a similar question about two months ago, when I was 1 month away from surgery. I'm now 3 weeks post op after a left hip resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle. I feel great! I've been walking 1-2 miles every day since about 6 days after surgery.  In my case, I have good news and bad news about pre op exercises.  The bad news: For the last 5 weeks, before surgery, I hiked each day. The hikes often involved moderate to steep climbs. I thought this would help strengthen my quads, glutes, etc., before surgery. I think it worked, but the hiking also lead to unwanted wear and tear on my hip joint.  My pre op X-rays showed this.  In retrospect, I think I would have been better off focusing on the PT exercises, some weighted, that did not cause so much damage.  If you feel any grinding or discomfort, DON'T DO IT!  Exercises that focus on abductors, glutes, and balance will probably serve you the best. It's amazing how weak these have gotten in just 3 weeks.  Hope this helps.

-TK

Matt428

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »
Thanks
Matt,

I posted a similar question about two months ago, when I was 1 month away from surgery. I'm now 3 weeks post op after a left hip resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle. I feel great! I've been walking 1-2 miles every day since about 6 days after surgery.  In my case, I have good news and bad news about pre op exercises.  The bad news: For the last 5 weeks, before surgery, I hiked each day. The hikes often involved moderate to steep climbs. I thought this would help strengthen my quads, glutes, etc., before surgery. I think it worked, but the hiking also lead to unwanted wear and tear on my hip joint.  My pre op X-rays showed this.  In retrospect, I think I would have been better off focusing on the PT exercises, some weighted, that did not cause so much damage.  If you feel any grinding or discomfort, DON'T DO IT!  Exercises that focus on abductors, glutes, and balance will probably serve you the best. It's amazing how weak these have gotten in just 3 weeks.  Hope this helps.

-TK

Matt428

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Had my right hip resurfaced Friday. Surgery usually takes about hour and a half but mine took 3 hours. I had pins in my hip that Dr Su removed during the resurfacing. I stayed in hospital for one night and PT cleared me to go home yesterday. I'm so surprised already that after a day I'm more confident in putting weight on my resurfaced hip than I was on my arthritic hip. Definitely going to be a tough few months ahead but I'm feeling great so far!

cpeteraf

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
Hi Matt, We went to Dr Su around the same time! I had mine done Aug 16, So I am 5 weeks out today. How do you feel today? Did your one-month check-up go well?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:06:51 PM by cpeteraf »
Christina
Left Hip Resurfacing with Dr Su.
Aug 16, 2016 (at age 27)

Matt428

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:14:23 AM »
Hi Matt, We went to Dr Su around the same time! I had mine done Aug 16, So I am 5 weeks out today. How do you feel today? Did your one-month check-up go well?

Hey sorry haven't checked the site in some time. Yes my one month check up went well. I was on one crutch and felt overall pretty good.  Walking with no crust he's around kitchen or short distances but had a limp still. I'd say 6-8 weeks post op the limp was gone and now at the 10 week mark I'm feeling really great. I can see my quad muscles are growing (my leg atrophied bad from a past surgery on my hip and really never got that muscle definition back). I can do the figure 4 seated and actually sat Indian style on the beach. I see Dr Su in 2-3 weeks for my 3 month follow up to see if I can go back to work full time (I'm a police officer). I don't know if that's going to be possible. I'm still a little sore and nervous of injury.

How are you feeling right now?  Hope you are healing up well

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal