+-

Author Topic: FDA approved device and experienced hip resurfacing doctor  (Read 109823 times)

stevel

Re: FDA approved device and experienced hip resurfacing doctor
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
Friday, I saw the out patient physical therapist.  We reviewed the stretches and exercises HSS gave me.  Basically, I will follow these at home.  She will have the Theraband to do some of the exercises when I return on Monday.  I need to find a stool with rollers to do some of the other exercises.  I was surprised physical therapists are in such demand here in Juneau, AK.  Most are booked 3 weeks in advance.  This therapist took me in, but she is leaving for a vacation in two weeks, so I will switch to another to complete my prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy.

I couldn't be happier with my progress.  I am 12 days post-op with LBHR, Dr. Su.  Yesterday, the swelling in my left calf and foot relented so I slept without raised pillows under my feet.  I walked about eight blocks with my crutches and even raised my crutches and walked about a block without the crutches.  I was rewarded with more pain in the hip and swelling near my incision afterwards, but I am making progress.  I took one pain pill last night.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19

Tarhoo2

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »
Steve,

Just caught up with your story this evening.  I've had BHR's on both hips in the last 10 months and wanted to offer my congratulations and encouragement to you.  I'm sure there will be times when it seems like things are moving slowly (sounds like you've already dealt with the swelling), but be patient, everything will come along in its time.  I was impatient, but listened to my doctor and physical therapist and I'm glad I did.  Best wishes for a full and uneventful recovery.

Jim

stevel

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 05:36:50 AM »
I visited the physical therapist at 2 weeks post-op.  I am clear to use a cane and can drop the crutches.  We worked on my gait and quads.  I need to sit down evenly as I still favor the unoperated leg.  It almost seems my operated leg is a bit short but it evened out after the stretches and exercises.  The left leg (operated) is smaller (less muscular) due to underuse and I need to regain strength and even the weight distribution on both legs.  Afterwards I went shopping and walked through three different stores with a cane.  I have not any clunking or squeaking.  The incision is sore but I am applying ice tonight.  I am very happy with the progress so far.  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:36:39 AM by stevel »
Steve

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »
Steve,

Your recovery sounds great. Keep up with your exercises and walk walk walk. Oh and of course ice ice ice...

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

stevel

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »
This afternoon, I walked several blocks with a cane and a couple of blocks without a cane.  I had a bit of a limp without a cane but otherwise no problems.  I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op from Left BHR Dr. Su 9/29/08.  I still have swelling at the incision area and apply ice at night but haven't been taking any pain pills.  I visit the out patient physical therapist, 3 times a week.  We are primarily working on stretches and exercises to regain range of motion for the left hip.
Steve

stevel

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »
Visited the out patient physical therapist today and I am clear to exercise indoors with a bicycling machine.  I still have swelling near the incision but otherwise OK will no pain or squeaking or clunking. :) 
Steve

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
Hi Stevel

Glad to hear you are progressing. 

Just wanted to say Hi and Good Luck with your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »
I shoveled snow from my driveway and walkway this weekend at nearly 4 weeks post-op LBHR Dr. Su 9/29/08.  We received two dumps of about 4 inches each day in Juneau.  The snow is about a month early.  I have some swelling near my incision, so I iced at night.  I walk without a cane for short distances.  I still have a limp and use the cane for longer distances.  My physical therapist says my range of motion for my left hip is getting closer to my right hip.  She measured all of the position angles last Thursday.  I need to send in x-rays of my left hip at 4 to 6 weeks post-op.  I'm very pleased with my progress so far. :)
Steve

stevel

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »
I walked 1 1/2 miles this evening without a cane.  I did not notice much of a limp.  I ride the exercise bicycle daily for 35 minutes.  My physical therapist says my muscles are still tight on the operated side.  I need to improve my flexibility and range of motion with stretches and exercises.  I am nearly 5 weeks post-op from a LBHR.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:40:37 AM by stevel »
Steve

Big Bill

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
Dear  Stevel....I am now 15 weeks into my new life as a HIPPIE. CONGRATS  to you for choosing what you felt was best for you ! It seems as if you are doing great...remember your journey and progress...sometimes I have to stop and remember that I had a procedure...it feels that good  ::) Nobody would even know that I had a resurfacing done...if it were not for the  5" scar  :o  . Keep on the right track at the right pace...best of luck in the future !

Big Bill  C.A.S.H.   7/9/08   8)

stevel

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »
Thanks Big Bill,

I read your posts leading up to my surgery and was comforted by your successful outcome.  I am updating my posts so other prospective patients can be informed.  I was pleased to see the BHR on the x-ray film in the post anesthesia care unit.  Dr. Su had estimated a 90 to 95 per cent probability of getting a BHR, otherwise I would get a full size metal THR.  My physical therapist and I are amazed how fast my recovery is and how normal my operated hip feels.  I have had no squeaking or clunking.  I'm just about over the healing phase of soft tissue and muscles.  Its great to be improving every day rather than deteriorating every day due to osteoarthritis prior to surgery.
Steve

stevel

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
I am six weeks post-op and doing great.  I walk about 3 miles a day and no longer have swelling or aches.  I still use a cane as I have a bit of a limp.  I walked some distance last night without a limp.  I drop the aspirin today (used for blood thinner).  I visit my physical therapist in 40 minutes.  She mostly massages my incision with cream and stretches my pelvic muscles.  I have two more weeks of physical therapy, according to my prescription from Dr. Su.
Steve

stevel

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2008, 06:05:01 AM »
I am nearly 7 weeks post-op and my physical therapist added strengthening exercises to my regimen.  I am doing two hip abduction exercises with Cyvex machines with about 25 pounds.  Next week, I will add knee exercises and the following week, another leg exercise.  I will need to work on strengthening and stretching my left side to overcome the leg length difference, as I still have a slight limp.  The Dr. says to exercise up to 6 mos to regain parity.  I favored my right leg so much before surgery, my left leg is much underdeveloped. 
Steve

stevel

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »
I'm nearly 8 weeks post-op LBHR Dr. Su and dropped the cane a couple of days ago.  I walk with trekking poles and ice creepers for longer walks in the slush, ice and snow in Douglas, Alaska.  If I plant my heel first, I don't have a limp.  The physical therapist added knee extension exercises with two nautilus machines.  I don't notice any squeaks or clunks.  In fact, my left hip with the implant feels as normal as my unoperated right hip.  I have a little bit of swelling after 40 minutes of aerobic exercise (bike and eliptical) and stretching and strengthening exercises.  Each week gets better.  I'm following the Drs protocol (no lifting over 20 lbs for 3 months, then 50 lbs is OK for 6 months, then over 50 lbs and impact activities are allowed).  Looks like I'll miss the ski season (maybe two weeks in April) so I'll try snowshoeing instead.
Steve

stevel

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »
At nine weeks post-op from LBHR Dr. Su on 9/29/08, I'm progressing so well that I could downhill ski at three months post-op.  However Dr. Su and many other Drs. advise waiting 6 months before beginning impact activities.  Dr. McMinn advises waiting 12 months.  Dr. DeSmet says skiing at three months is OK.  He says femoral neck fracture is due to notching or osteopenia in female patients and occurs about 1/100.  Bone in growth for the socket could occur within 6 weeks.  Several athletes have done marathons or triatholons in 3 months with no problems.  Pat, is the 6 months restriction based on hard data or is it a catch-all limit that covers patients with marginal bone quality or are smalled boned females/males? 
Steve

stevel

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
I'm doing gait training with my physical therapist.  It seems the leg length discrepancy has nearly resolved at nearly 10 weeks post-op.  I do leg strengthening exercises every other day and aerobic exercises for 40 minutes daily.  I'm nearly back to normal except waiting until 3 months to lift 50 pounds and 6 months to lift over 50 pounds and resume impact activities according to Dr. Su's post-op protocol.  Fortunately we haven't had much snow yet.  I will be tempted to "cheat" and go skiing in January to March, but I'll hold off until March 29 which will be 6 months post-op from a LBHR.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:42:17 AM by stevel »
Steve

stevel

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
My physical therapist is recommending nordic skiing (cross country)  :D to help strengthen my pelvic muscles.  If not outdoors, then indoors on a machine.  My gait has improved.  I have a bit of a Trendelenberg since the left pelvic muscles (operated side) are weaker than the right.  I can correct the Trendelenberg gait by planting my right heel first.  This seems to keep my pelvis aligned horizontally.  A Trendelberg is a drooping of the pelvis due to weak muscles on one side.  What do you think about outdoor nordic skiing at this stage of my recovery?  Of course the caveat is "Don't Fall!  :( "Or if I fall, I'll be sure to fall into a pillowly, powder laden snowbank  :) rather than onto a chopped up, cruddy snow berm  :(.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:42:58 AM by stevel »
Steve

stevel

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »
I'm three months post-op and I'm clear to do low impact sports and lift up to 50 pounds.  I'm improving my gait by working with my physical therapist and walking in front of mirrors for about 30 feet at the aerobics studio at the health club.  My left side hip and glut muscles are still weaker and not a flexible as my right side.  This is noticeable when doing the bird-dog stretch.  I'm doing several stretches and hip exercises on nautilus machines as prescribed by my physical therapist to regain strength in my left hip.  Most of my leg length discrepancy has resolved.  I need to wait 6 months post-op before doing high impact sports such as downhill skiing, racketball and hunting over mountainous terrain and lift over 50 pounds to avoid fracturing the femoral neck as the bones are still healing.  I do about 35 minutes of aerobics daily such as indoor bicycling and elliptical.

I'm very pleased to have reached the three month post-op milestone in my present physical condition and can hardly wait for the six month post-op milestone to return to high impact sports.  This is why I elected hip resurfacing at age 55 rather than hip replacement :)
Steve

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2008, 02:22:55 AM »
I've read your accounts with great interest.  While I have felt my recovery has gone relatively well, as I approach my 3 week anniversary I am still unable to walk without one crutch and I am experiencing significant "clunking" which I am interpeting is just the metal touching metal.  I am a little younger at 52 but a bit over weight and a little out of shape around the core.

I am wondering how much the size of the incision is affecting my recovery..?  You said you have a 5" incision if I recall correctly, and I have nearly a 14" incision.

Anyone have any thought on this aspect of recovery?
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2008, 03:44:29 AM »
I've seen many people who have had the longer type incisions and done fine recovery wise.

Just my opinion, although the opinion comes from reading a lot, I've found from reading that it seems that those who were the best of shape seemed to recover the fastest. 

Of course other things that affect recovery like age, bone density etc and what procedure what performed.

Mudpro I would not worry about your speed of recover, as long as you are progressing well you're doing fine.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements