+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 months post-op, when to ditch the cane  (Read 3782 times)

Dessay

4 months post-op, when to ditch the cane
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
Hi all!

I was on a slow recovery track with Dr Gross from the beginning (low bone density), but at 4 months, I'm still on the cane. My glute still feels weak when I take a step. Should I just try walking without the cane so these muscles can strengthen back up? Even for those of you with normal recovery periods, when did you ditch it? 

I know about the risk for femoral neck fracture, but I'm on Fosamax, so I maybe I shouldn't be so afraid?

Thanks!
Cara
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

blinky

Re: 4 months post-op, when to ditch the cane
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Do you limp without it?

I finally ditched the cane at four months, completely ditched it. I worked up to walking without it starting about three months, taking longer and longer outside walks without it.

Are you doing any exercises to strengthen that glute? The rotators on that side? Perhaps some glute targeted exercises plus more cane free walking will get you there.

LMS

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »
Have you talked to Dr. Gross or a PT about it?

I'm only at 6 weeks post THR & thought I could maybe start ditching the cane but PT said nope & to continue the strengthening exercises they gave me in the hospital & to continue up to the 6th month with them.

My bone quality is lacking so, whatever she says, I will do, no point in risking going backwards if not now but later.

Dessay

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
LMS- I sent an email to my OS office, but it may be a day or two before they reply. Ah, exercises until the 6th month. Suddenly feeling sheepish. See below... :)

Blinky! Ok, I will admit that when I got back to "normal strength" on the Phase Two stuff, I kinda stopped doing them. That was probably a week ago. I was thinking walking on the cane might be enough to build things up until month 6 when I can start working out again. Bad me!

I started glute squeezes this morning. But also, if you didn't ditch the cane until 4 months, and you had a normal recovery track, I am suddenly not very worried. I do feel like I'm improving day to day, but I the op leg was immobile for so long that my glute probably just went to sleep. Back to my exercises!

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
My opinion is that you shouldn't concern yourself with the calendar or other people's ditch dates, but what your body is telling you. Everybody's recovery is different. In your case, you have some uncommon bone issues. If your body still needs that cane, then listen to it. If it's just a dead stick you feel compelled to carry around, then don't. The other person to consult is your PT. Does he/she think you are ready yet? The important goal is your long term recovery. If that means using the can longer than the median, so what. Do what is best for you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:31:35 PM by catfriend »

Dessay

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
Thanks, catfriend- you're right. I have to say, I've been pretty good on the patience front until now- I knew from the beginning this was going to take longer for me. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't indicative of some larger, weird problem like nerve damage or something. I don't know why it would, but orthopedic recoveries are strange, individual things. Like Blinky said, "Sometimes I feel like I'll make a full recovery, and other times I feel like I'm doomed." Funny thing, that.

Maybe with the dysplasia, there were some glute weaknesses I didn't know that I had. Entirely possible, too.

blinky

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 07:16:12 AM »
Ha! I still feel that way, but the full recovery days outnumber the doomed days more and more.

John C

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »
You are very wise to contact Dr Gross's office and/or a PT about this, and follow their guidance. For myself, I was also feeling weak glutes around your time frame. I did a lot of stair work (we live up five flights, so I would do laps up and down the stairs), stationary bike, elliptical machine, stairmaster machine, two legged squats, one legged squats, and ankle cable weights to target those glutes and abductors so that I would be ready to start skiing at six months. None of these involved any impact, so I felt safe. Those exercises definitely helped in my case, though I would say that it was 18 to 24 months before I felt that my glutes were back to 95%. I am not suggesting any of these exercises for you, but you might run them by Dr Gross's office and/or your PT to see what they recommend as appropriate for you.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat