+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 year THR today  (Read 2662 times)

Mike D

4 year THR today
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
Hi Hippies,
I haven't posted on here for a while but I'm usually lurking in the background about once a week seeing what's happening.
It's 4 years today that I got my THR from Ronan Treacey at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham.
I wanted a HR  but unfortunately was not a candidate due to childhood hip issues ( slipped femoral epiphysis),
so I got an Oxinium/poly THR.
At the time, it was something I struggled to accept as although Mr Treacey told me I was 70/ 30 against being able to have HR, I only ever considered that option- a kind of blind hope on my part I think.
Like many before and after, I spent long nights worrying about my plight,logged on here searching for someone in a similar position.
Of course, there were many, and there's no doubt that it was this site that helped me accept my THR for the life changing surgery that it was.
One of the big recovery stages for me was around the 2 year mark, I think. It was about then that I would have a few days when I wouldn't think about my hip at all that day instead of it being constantly in my mind.
4 years on and it's become weeks without thinking of it.
So to anyone like me, not a HR candidate,  don't worry if you have to have a THR. It's not what this site is about but the support from the good people here is just the same.
I got my life back just like all you Hippies!
Happy days, Cheers Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 4 year THR today
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:24:52 PM »
Congratulations Mike. Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how well you are doing.  I am glad you stayed here and are updating so people know THRs also work well. We all want a HR, but we need to move on and get out of pain if we can't have one.   THR is also a good solution.

I hope to see you stop by next year!   Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
Well done Mike! Great to hear about your success.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

LMS

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
Thank you so much for this uplifting update.  :D

I`m 7 weeks post op THR (June 20th) & just hit my first regression last week & have been struggling with it but I know I`ll get back on track.  And am assuming the first year is the hardest (yet still far far better than when I had a scope 9 yrs ago).

evant

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »
Good to hear you're doing well Mike.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »
Hey there, Mike, good to hear you're doing well. I'm 4-and-a-half years out on my revision to THR (a la De Smet) and going strong. I would also say that the two year mark was an important dividing line in my recovery from  THR surgery. After that point I never had to worry again about overexerting myself. In terms of performance, I see very little real difference between the THR and the HR. Maybe in some very subtle ways the HR excells a bit but both serve quite well up to this point.   
Cheers!
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz