+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sharp pain today when climbing stairs, joint now aching  (Read 2773 times)

uberclimber

Sharp pain today when climbing stairs, joint now aching
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:30:33 AM »
I am 15 days post-op for a RHS BHR by Dr Kohan in Sydney. All has been going well: I'm off meds and walking without a cane a lot of the time. However, today I was walking up a staircase normally (not one step at a time). I was late for a meeting. The door I wanted to enter at the top of the stairs was to the left of the staircase, and I was walking up next to the right railing. Someone was holding the door for me, so I hurried a bit so as not to keep them waiting, and didn't really concentrate on where I was putting my feet. On the last step, I think I pivoted left toward the door as I stepped. There was a sharp stab of pain followed by a highly disagreeable aching feeling in my new joint. This ached persisted through the meeting and the drive home in the car. I have been walking around the living room and as my right leg reaches the very end of its arc behind me, just before I lift it off the floor to step forward, there is a clunking feeling in the joint. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Have I done something really bad? Is it going to go away? Freaking out a little...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Sharp pain today when climbing stairs, joint now aching
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
Hi  You are very, very early in your recovery.  Very few people would be walking without a crutch or cane at 15 days post op. If you still have any limp, you should use a cane or crutch.  Putting a lot of pressure on the hip can cause a lot of pain.  Most people don't do steps unaided for many weeks.

I would back off a bit and be conservative.  Use the elevator!  Take it easy.  You had major surgery!  Just because your brain says you should do stairs and walk without a cane, you need to evaluate your situation.  Your body will only heal at it's own rate.  You can't force it.  Most people are not turned loose for normal activities until 6 weeks. Then not allowed real activities like sports until 6 months and no heavy weight bearing activites until one year.

Back off and give your body time to heal.  It is so easy to stress it at this stage in your recovery.  I would never be going up steps that early without a rail or help.  When you are in pain - rest, elevate, ice and take it easy.  If you really injure yourself or the BHR, you will be in drastic pain.  A dislocation will put you on the ground and only the ER can help you.  Sometimes a new surgery is required.

Don't want you to think I am being mean - but please take care of yourself and your new hip.  It needs a break in period like all new equipment and vehicles.

Let us know how you are doing.  Take Care.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

uberclimber

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
I guess things have been going so well, I got a bit overconfident. Thanks for your advice...I'll follow it and dial the enthusiasm back a little.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:31:32 AM by uberclimber »

Ljpviper

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
That's your psoas/hip flexor, as Pat stated you are very early to be climbing stairs 'normally'. I still sometimes go up one after the other and I am 4 months out.

Don't push anything, all it will do is make your recovery longer, trust me been there done that. Your hip flexor is really weak, does not take much to aggravate it.

Ljpviper

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
Also, don't worry too much about the joint, I would think the only way to really damage the surgery would be a fall or extreme flexion this early. Just take it easy good luck!!!

Larry

RebeccaT

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
I think strange pains are somewhat inevitable. I am about 8 months out now but a couple of months ago, just after the 6 month mark, I got on a bike (a real one, not stationary) for the first time and I felt the sharpest pain I have felt the whole time since surgery -- like I could barely move and it made me want to double over -- or something like that!

It eventually went away, but I was momentarily afraid that I had really damaged something! I have felt the same once since then. Not as alarming the second time, fortunately. Do take it easy. I was definitely not doing long staircases 15 days out, and I was still doing one stair at a time, too.
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal