+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral resurfacing with Dr. Su 50 year old male Ice Hockey Goalie  (Read 4039 times)

Puckeater

I started having pain in my hips in 2013 and by the spring of 2016 it was keeping me up at night, I was limping through goaltending, and struggling with a physical day of work in the field. I did my homework and after a lot of research I went to see Dr. Su in NYC for a consultation in April 2016. I walked out of that consultation with bilateral surgery scheduled for July 28th.  Dr. Su was super confident that I was a good candidate on all levels, age, health, bone size, bone density and desire. At this point I am a little over 3 weeks from surgery.  I went in on a Thursday, came home on a Saturday with crutches. Sunday morning I was done with the crutches, and 10 days after surgery I was driving myself.  I was able to put my shoes and socks on 20 days after surgery and went swimming, albeit the doggie paddle, 21 days after surgery.  Through it all pain has been minimal with the worst being the incisions which are about 8 inches long each.  After surgery I never took anything more than Tylenol. All the pain I had prior to surgery is GONE. I can tell I have a while before I could run or privet quick, but I have arguably returned to a very normal life within 3 weeks of surgery and am getting better every day. I will continue to post as I hit a milestone.

Tim Bratten

Re: Bilateral resurfacing with Dr. Su 50 year old male Ice Hockey Goalie
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
Hi Puckeater
For sure, resurfacing done by a skilled and experienced surgeon is (nine-and-a-half times out of ten) an amazing new lease on life. Nice to hear you're doing well!
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Puckeater

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
Thought I would add another post so anyone looking at this can have a long term feel for playing goalie again.
Had my Surgery late July 2016
Started playing goalie again April 2017 8-9 months later
Hip joints felt great, everything else hurt!
Working the hips back into shape has not been terrible.
By June 2017 I was playing thru the scare tissue pain.
Playing 1-2 times a week, I am still not 100% and it is 14 months after surgery, but it is not holding me back.
In truth its just a few of the epically athletic moments where I am reminded by my hip muscles that I had surgery . Other than that I roll through basic game play with no reminders at all.  I consider this surgery a 100% success and am sorry I waited so long, and it goes without saying that Dr. Su the best!

Mcopt

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
Thanks for your latest post I am 4 weeks away from bilateral BHR with Mr McMinn and starting to feel a little apprehensive about the surgery and what life will be like after. I am hoping to get back to sports that have become impossible over the past 2-3 years due to OA of both hips and your post has given me some needed optimism. So pleased it has worked well for you and all the best for the future.

packman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Wow that is impressive!
To recover from one hip is a small chore - how you recover from a bilateral op - simultaneously or even 1-2 weeks between hips is a feat of courage and strength
That's hockey players for you and of course you have to be a little insane to be a goaltender
(A lot of rubber thru your crease....)
Good to hear you did not push it too soon and are returning to an activity of passion
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Puckeater

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »
I started this thread about 4 years back when I got my Bilateral resurfacing by Dr. Su. Thought I would post an update 4 years down the road. My hips could not be better. I am playing Ice Hockey Goalie 2-3 times a week, working a physical job, and doing basically anything I want. I still can't say enough about Dr. Su and the Hospital for Specialized Surgery. They were all just top shelf.  I highly recommend the Bilateral approach if you need both done.

Puckeater

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »
Thought I would post another followup. I am 56 now, had this surgery 6 years ago. Still playing hockey 2-3 times a week as a goalie. Best money I ever spent!

TotalWus

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 11:18:06 PM »
Where do you play?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
Congratulations!  Thank You for the update.  I wish you many, many more years of playing with those BHRs.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM