+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I wait for surgery ?  (Read 2691 times)

brianflanagan

Should I wait for surgery ?
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
Hi dear members,

I'm 38 years old, considering hip resurfacing for my hip.

As I would like to do snowboarding for next winter period, maybe in january or in march, I think I would rather wait after march to go and get operated.
I've been doing snowboard for more than 10 years, but honestly, my performance are worse and worse because of my hip, but still I can enjoy time with friends. I don't think I would be ready in January if I get hip resurfacing in September.

What do you think ?
I still can wait for my surgery. But of course, I am feeling pain every day and I've stopped doing martial arts, running or sport activities that will solicit my hip. I can still do work out, going to the beach, doing some other things, if I manage my hip.
I've already lost 3.5cm compared to my other thigh.

[/size][size=78%]How long will I have to wait to be able to do snowboard at a decent level after surgery ?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thank you for your help[/size]
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

MattJersey

Re: Should I wait for surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
can't really advise whether to wait, but I think it is fair to say that most contributors on here would say they were happy to get it done when they did, or wished they'd got it done sooner.

regarding winter sports, my surgeon, Mr McMinn, recommends skipping one winter. so if you got it done now then winter (northern hemisphere) 2017-2018 would be your time to return following his guidance ...

good luck with your choice and your op if you proceed.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

brianflanagan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Ok, so maybe it would be better to wait for after this snowboard season (March 2017) and get this surgery.

Honestly, now that I am really convinced that it would be better for me, I can't wait to get this done and start recovering and doing the exercices to get my flexibility and strength back !

Of course, I will keep you posted and create a post with my surgery.

Thanks
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

Tim Bratten

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »
Different doctors have different protocols. I believe that De Smet typically gives the "all clear" for sports at the six month mark, other doctors are more conservative. I am not a a snowboarder but I am a rock climber and I began bouldering outdoors at around 15 weeks and would say I was fully recovered at around eight months, though I continued to see improvement after that. Good luck!
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

LMS

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »
If the surgeon has said you are ready for a resurfacing now, do it, do not wait & honestly, skip the season & spend it healing.  You'll be happier in the long run.  :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat