+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain Levels  (Read 2236 times)

China Lady

Pain Levels
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »
Hi guys! I am just curious...is somebody out there who has a knee replacement and BHR?
My mother in law has got her new knee 3 weeks ago and is now in rehabilitation. She is still in pain! Her doctor told her, that a hip replacement is much easier and much more painless. Is that true?
I have had a bilateral BHR and was pain free the moment I opened my eyes after surgery. My doctors told me that in modern times nobody needs to suffer pain. It is just a question of the right medicamentation.

..... I will find out

catfriend

Re: Pain Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
I haven't had both. However, at the pre-op hip and knee replacement seminar I was required to go to (at Swedish Orthopedic Institute) this issue was addressed and the nurse(s) stated that knee replacements were typically more painful than hip replacements. They said why this was, but I don't recall. (I didn't pay too much attention to the knee stuff.) My mother had a total hip and total knee in different years. The knee was more difficult for her, as well, and caused so many issues later she wanted a revision. Searching online I'm not really seeing a scientific answer to your question, just anecdotes.

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »
 :) Hi China Lady Apparently so. Same as shoulder surgery it can be worse than hip surgery. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:30:22 AM »
My same day bilateral surgery was almost 5 years ago but I don't remember being in pain that the medication couldn't handle.  Because I was bilateral, I stayed in the hospital for nine days getting PT three times a day.  I had two room mates who were knee replacement patients.  They had a much harder time than I did.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat