+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still Improving After Four Years  (Read 3334 times)

Boomer

Still Improving After Four Years
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
It is just over four years since I became a bilateral Hippy with the encouragement and support of this great group. This summer I have tried twice to summit Quandary Peek, at 14,265 ft, to accomplish my first 14er. I failed to reach the summit from both the West and East approaches, but it wasn't because of my hips. The hips worked just fine. I'm just not strong enough yet. I will tell you that I did not feel defeated when I turned back. I felt such a sense of accomplishment to be so high and so close to the top. I'd been afraid to try anything this difficult for fear that my hips would let me down. I can stop worrying about my hips.

I am going to try Mt Elbert, 14,433 ft, at the end of September to see if i can make it to the top. Elbert is supposed to be easier that Quandary Peek. Hopefully I have learned something from my attempts at Quandary Peek. I plan on making it to the top of Mt. Elbert.

I am 62 years old and had given up any hope of ever making it to the top of a mountain again. I never considered trying until this year. It may be hard to believe, but my recovery is still taking place. I am getting stronger.

I hope my story serves to encourage others who are in the early stages of their recovery, those who have had setbacks, or those who are still trying to decide whether resurfacing is the right choice. Resurfacing has given me back my active life. I'm climbing mountains again!

There are some limitations that are not going to change for me, and I have grown to accept those. I will never be a good dancer and home improvement projects will stay forever on the To Do List. I am OK with that.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

LMS

Re: Still Improving After Four Years
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
Awesome!

Quig

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:59 PM »
Go Boomer GO!

Keep up the good work sir, with your attitude the sky is truly the limit. You'll get those 14'ers and then it's time to start looking at 15'ers! I can't wait to read about your continued successes as they are sure to come. Best of luck!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »
Great news Boomer! Congrats and keep it going... this is why we did what we did.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
Thank you Hernanu. You were there with me every step of the way for both surgeries. Good to hear from you. I am trying to make the most of the new opportunity given to me. I am working very hard  to get to 14,000 feet. September 30 is the date we attempt the ascent to Mt Elbert. I'll post either way. Thanks for staying with me. None of us do this journey alone.

Boomer

MattJersey

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »
Good to hear of the progress boomer. You're so right about none of us doing it alone, so many other active supporters in our personal spheres, and, of course, tremendous support and a wealth of invaluable information here. I am pretty sure I couldn't have taken the step to have the resurfacing without this site and all its contributors. Best wishes for your 14k attempt this month!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

China Lady

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi Boomer! Great, great story!
....and you just made me count. I forgot my years! Checked back on my own story to get it straight. That's the way it should be! I am now at 2 years 8 month, and next year I will reach 60 too.
You climb the mountains! If you reach the peak or not, you do it! Incredible!
This year October we go to Kashgar, ride a camel in Taklamakan desert, drive the Karakoram Highway to Khunjerap Pass (4730m) an at least, I can see the Nanga Prabat in a distance. How do you manage the altitude? My power and energy goes down a lot when I am above 4000m.
..... I will find out

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
China Lady,

Good to hear from you. Your journeys sound fascinating. We Hippys are doing all kinds of interesting things with our new parts. Age doesn't matter as much when you have new parts. My next attempt at a 14er will be with two other 60 year olds. It will make for quite a photo if we make it.

Congratulations to you. Please keep posting about your adventures.

Yes, the altitude is something of a challenge, even for those of us who live in Colorado. Everything slows down at higher altitudes for me. Good thing I don't mind moving slowly!

Boomer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz