+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many days did you take strong painkillers for?  (Read 2361 times)

Slinkycarrot

How many days did you take strong painkillers for?
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:34:39 AM »
Hi there

I am due for bilateral surgery and have a young baby.  Im planning on expressing lots of milk for when I have the operation, but I want to know realistically when I'll be done taking the really strong painkillers (assuming everything goes ok)?

My pain threshold is pretty good and in previous surgeries (scopes, c-section) Ive only really needed the stronger drugs for 2-3 days.

Appreciate peoples thoughts.

blinky

Re: How many days did you take strong painkillers for?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
Hard to know. As you say, this is a YMMV situation.

Having said that, I needed them four days PO. After that the need for a bowel movement outweighed the need for pain relief!

Are there some pain killers that are okay for nursing mothers to take? Maybe your doc could use those?

Also, since you will be making a big trip home, you might want to stay on a low dose of something a little longer than you might otherwise.

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »
 :D Awesome stuff Westro glad your thinking ahead as mothers milk as far as my opinion goes is the only milk to feed Human infants.... pain killers you will be off them after about 2 weeks. Its the anti - inflams that you will not be off for a while probably about 1 month that is bad for both you and baby. The anti-inflams is to stop  bone growths from arising in you hips. These are not good for your stomach and or baby's.
Not sure how old baby is ?
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Riz

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:36 AM »
I had surgery on Wednesday morning and was off them by Saturday with no pain. I was Dr. Gross patient, his protocol was outstanding. I am one week post op and feeling great.

23109VC

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »
 I had my surgery in early 2011 at that time Dr. Gross had been a combination of two drugs - OxyContin and another drug called Nucynta.   I can't tell you what the dosages were but I took both drugs at the same time for probably a week maybe 10 days ??  I know I was off of the hard-core stuff within a couple of weeks ... I know for sure the OxyCotton had no refills and I never felt the urge to need them any longer than what lasted in the bottle ...  I almost seem to recall there were a handful of pills left when I stioped taking them.

One of the keys to my recovery was the icing of the hip as long as I kept it iced according to his protocol I felt great the couple of times I went out And got behind in icing it started to feel
Sore and hurt.  Icing was really important.

As long as I stuck to the protocol of icing my hip and taking the appropriate medications I honestly felt like the level of pain was extremely low.   Several years before I had my hip replaced I had routine hernia surgery --  The recovery for that was only a few days but I remember thinking the pain I experienced in those few days was far worse than anything I felt during the hip surgery recovery .

Dr Gross did my hip.  5+ years post op and going strong!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
One of the keys to my recovery was the icing of the hip as long as I kept it iced according to his protocol I felt great the couple of times I went out And got behind in icing it started to feel
Sore and hurt.  Icing was really important.

My experience was quite similar.  I was on oxycontin for 3-4 days then the nucynta for a few more days. The icing was key for me.

Note that if you're a bilat then it seems like those often experience one leg a bit worse for a while?  There are plenty of stories of pain free recovery, but this is serious surgery.  I'm sure you want to get back to 'normal', but stay ahead of the pain with the meds and take care of yourself first!  A healthy strong mom will be better long term. :)

Good luck!

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat