+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Loose Femoral Component. Dr Gross PT  (Read 7835 times)

Ross

Loose Femoral Component. Dr Gross PT
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:01:39 PM »
First, thank you Pat for keeping your website up and keeping the community informed.  Next, I have a big time problem.  I went wake larding 3 weeks ago and could not get up. I started to have intense pain in the groin so I went for an X-ray.   Stanford Hospital said that it was fine and you pulled your groin.  I sent the xray to Dr Gross and he said that the femoral component shifted 10 degrees.   I had been walking on it and was getting ready to go back to my work in the ER.  Hopefully some of the old schoolers will chime in as I can't find info on femoral devices that shifted and were retained.  There is no femoral neck fractures but I have a moderat amount of edema in the femoral neck.  I know there have been cases here but I can't find it. 
Thanks,
Ross

einreb

Re: Loose Femoral Component. Dr Gross PT
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that.

I've been following these boards for a long time and seem to recall seeing a reference to shifted components being retained, but cant find it either.

There are definitely references to revising only the cup side, but I imagine you'd want to avoid that if possible.

What did doctor Gross say/suggest be done?  He did your hips, correct?  And you've had other issues?  I suspect that's not easy for you to work through when you have issues from the 'go to guy' on the subject. :/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:58:52 PM by einreb »
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Ross

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
Dr Gross said to get off it and let it heal 6 weeks. He also said that there have been two others with very similar situations where the shaft migrated from previous film.  The good news is There is no femoral neck fracture but it could be fractured under the cup. The others had sent random films into his office and Dr Gross eyes are as good as it gets.  Early on he had told them that they needed revision but they said they had no pain and kept on with it.  The result was no replacement and back to previous activity.  I can only hope and pray that mine will do the same.  I did see where Jason smashed his femoral component and did fracture the bone and it healed.  If I can give any insight to others do not ever wake board.  Never in a million years did I anticipate this.   The only issues that I have had with my hips was that it was difficult to do deep squats.  I am in the best shape that I have been in for 20 years so the bone should have been very strong so I don't get it. They are artificial so I should have used my head and said no way but that's all in the past.  I'm praying for mercy.
Ross

Quig

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
Sorry to hear of your setback Ross. I hope your heal up quickly and don't have any more complications. Good luck!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »
I am sorry to hear this. Please keep us updated on what happens next.

You were a few years out, right? Did the shift happen due to a traumatic fall or accident? Or was it a gradual loosening? (When you said stay away from wake boarding I wondered if it was a fall or crash.)

I, too, remember a guy who posted on here saying he cracked his femoral neck, stayed still, and it healed.

MattJersey

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
likewise, sympathy and have fingers crossed.

if memory serves, I am aware of fractured neck recoveries but do t recall a shifted cup. I will take a search and see if I can find something.

best wishes.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

MattJersey

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Ross

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »
It's not the cup that shifted.  It's the femoral I cemented component that Dr Gross uses Biometric I cemented that moved 10 degrees there is no femoral neck fracture. Only edema of the marrow in the femoral neck

moe

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
I thought Dr Gross did not use cement. It seems strange that it would move without a hard fall or crash.

Hang in there, I fractured the head of my femur in a bike crash and recovered but there was no movement of implant.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Ross

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:32:11 PM »
Non
Cemented implant maybe the saving grace.  Jason did something similar but his was a fall.  Mine was trying to get up on a wakeboard literally no trauma just poor mechanics.   Stanford missed it and Inwalked around on it for 2'weeks.  I thought that I was going back to work

moe

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
I don't understand your post, you mention cemented and non cemented. Which is it?
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Ross

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Non

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
Hi Ross

I am sorry to hear you are having problems.  I don't recall any stories about a femoral component that moved.  My memory isn't the best any more.  If Dr. Gross thinks it will be OK, then I would follow his instructions. Since it was not cemented, maybe the rest will allow bone growth back into the component again.

I am sorry I don't remember any problems similar to yours. I hope things will work out for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ross

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 09:42:19 PM »
Hi Pat thanks for that info.  Do you remember anyone that femoral component loosened but the femoral neck didn't crack that was uncemented
Thanks
Ross

Ross

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 02:57:01 PM »
Looks like I'm screwed.  The devices shifted another ten degrees and rotated backwards.  I can't believe this is happening after 4 years and no trauma.  Just my luck

Ross

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
Well it's official.   It needs to come out.    The femoral component shifted without trauma, no contact sports or what ever 4 years down the drain.  I am so depressed that I can't stand it

Ljpviper

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
Ross, very sorry to hear that, keep your head up. Can it be replaced with another or do you have to go the THR route? What was the medical explanation how his can happen so many years later? I would think the bone grows around it, would seem impossible to move/shift.

wish you the best

Larry

jmorriss

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
Very sad to learn of this.  I'm two months out from resurf from Dr. Gross.  This seems unusual.  Did the femoral cap shift, or did the shaft shift?  Be curious to know the medical reason?

karlos.bell

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
 :) Ross Hi if you get this before your decision maybe you want to try something new before you get too down about it. I am unsure if 10 degrees is heaps in resurfacing but I don't know what age you are and also diet requirements.
Nutrition does seems a factor and absorbing nutrients to be able to make good bone stock. If you think your screwed then there probably is not much good spilling on about it. Due to my hips being crap I adopted a diet that has helped them. Maybe you want to do this rather than the cut which may fix it but show you also have an underlying issue. Example I completed my 4th half marathon this weekend no issues now or after wards with bone or joint stuff. Sure I have muscular issues to sort but lets hope training and a trainer will help that out.
If you want to know the diet get back to me. But I assure you it may help you out heaps now or even after the next one. My demands of half marathons and jumping over things, are far demanding than the old wake boarding in which I did for 20 years. These things are massively strong so its the quality of bone underneath them that enables them to function well. Lose that and its all over rover....
Yes mine were cemented but the cement does not last it is only a temporary measure until it gets replaced by good bone stock. They were cemented due I had surgery in Belgium and I traveled home to New Zealand the surgeon would not take the risk of UN-cemented because I asked.
Do I want mine to come loose no way..... I stick to my diet and people get used to it. I get used to it.
Pretty simple at the end of the day. It also may fix itself like the others you need to give it a shot.
Good luck. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

vonhouser

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 05:26:03 AM »
Hey, I would love to know about your nutrition. I think it's the most important component in overall health and I'm always tweaking mine....
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz