+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Five year update  (Read 3119 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Five year update
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »
5 years yesterday on my left BHR, doing extremely well.  No issues with the implants, walk 20-25 miles/week motivated by keeping weight off to extend hip life, which has improved overall health measurably.  Walk at just under 4mph consistently on hilly terrain.  Managed to impact one of the devices really hard with the tip of shovel handle while cutting sod about a month ago (the more fortunate of 2 places to have impacted in the hip region :) ) and was concerned for a few days, but nothing came of it thankfully.

In terms of issues/observations:

I have had occasional severe muscle spams/cramps on the inside of each thigh, that started post op after the first hip, after exertion and sweating profusely, sometimes hours after the exercise, the kind of pain that will immediately wake you up from a dead sleep.  Extra hydration and electrolytes seems to help, sometimes.  I am not sure how it relates to the bhr, maybe the process of surgical dislocation of the hip is one thought.  Small price to pay if related.

Also some bursitis (trochanter and illio-psoas) in the hips, that seems to be related to gouty arthritis attacks, once I watched my intake of food that cause the gout (beer, chocolate, purines, excess red meat) the hip bursitis has not returned (I was unaware of the gout/bursitis connection).

All in all I could not be more satisfied with the bhr's, they were life changing.  Dr Brooks and the team did a fantastic job.

Thanks to Pat, Boomer, Woodstock, Hernanu, Danny, and many others of the 2011/2012 bilateral club or earlier. This site was the thing that really helped get through the non trivial recovery period, thank you ever so much, Dan
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:08:58 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Five year update
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
Congratulations Dan.  Thanks for stopping by and giving us an update. It is so nice for people to come back and let other perspective or recent patients know how well they are doing.

I wish you many, many more anniversaries.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:47:37 PM »
Dan,

So nice to hear from you. You are an inspiration.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

shoraztri

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
Hi Dan,
Thanks for posting your update and current situation. It certainly motivates one, when you hear the replies and stories that you post.
Congrats on the achievements.
Thanks to for your honest observations and summing up.
Cheers,
 Kiwi Boy. :D
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
5 years a bi-lat bhr as of today, all observations on earlier post above apply, clearly a success for me. 

Best regards
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »
Hi Dan

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary!  I wish you many, many more.

Thanks for stopping by a giving us an update.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat