+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 days out from my bilaterial with Dr De Smet!  (Read 2048 times)

Slinkycarrot

5 days out from my bilaterial with Dr De Smet!
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:49:59 PM »
I posted previously relating to my upcoming surgery with Dr De Smet in Belgium.  I have a 3 month old baby so logistics flying from south Africa have been a challenge.

Anyway, I had my bilateral on Wednesday - all went ok! First three days were fine as i was kept on an epidural so I could continue to nurse my baby. Although the first 24 hours my husband bottle fed expressed milk I had transported in dry ice from home.  The day they took me off the epidural and just to paracetamol I almost died of the pain O: so begged for the strong stuff and bub has to be bottle fed. Now five days out pain is ok with paracetamol.  The anaesthetist and staff have been very helpful with my nursing situation.

Recovery is a bit slower than I thought - to be honest I didnt really think about the recovery from the surgery prior to it...but 2 hips is definitely harder than 1 and it does feel like I've driven into a brick wall a bit! Although it is doable and I think in a couple of days Ill be much better.

I can now walk with the crutches down the corridor but get dizzy after a few minutes. Getting in and out of bed is difficult. Tomorrow I do the stairs and check out to the hotel for rehab.  Not looking forward to that so much as have to go back to nursing my little one through the night but I'm sure I will cope.  The staff at the hospital have been great and Dr De Smet gave me confidence in my decision for my resurfacing - said my hips were a bit of a mess from previous scopes and my dysplasia was definitely causing my problems.

Anyway, fingers crossed recovery is exponential and I can begin getting my life back.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 5 days out from my bilaterial with Dr De Smet!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
Great to hear you are doing well - as well as can be expected. So happy to hear both your husband and baby are with you.  It is so nice to have support.

Your recovery will go up and down, not straight line.  You should feel better in a few more days.  Having bilateral is more difficult than having one at a time, but you only have one recovery.

I look forward to reading more about your recovery as the days go by.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Wow! You are amazing!

It gets better, promise.

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »
Congrats on the surgery! I can't imagine going straight from an epidural to just paracetamol. That would be brutal, especially after a bilateral. Even with a single resurfacing I stayed on the heavy duty painkillers for several days. Recovery happens. For me the first day out was rough, then it was a little better each day, and then I really started to feel better after that, and that was all within the week. A week from now you will be much more mobile. I'm glad it worked out that your husband was able to come with you.

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
Thank you!

I'm now in the hotel and getting slowly better each day. My left is great but mybright is pretty uncomfortable, hoping it eases off.

It's difficult doing this with a baby, nearly bitten off more than I can chew but just about surviving :).  To add insult to injury, literally on the flight over I started suffering from de quervain in my hands (from holding the baby)  so struggling to use my crutches as they are really sore, worst timing ever.

Anyway I'm very lucky to have my husband help out, he's going to get a gold medal at the end of this!

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
 :) Cool be positive you will mend well. If De Smet says it was a bit of a mess it was... look forward to a better life. 8) Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »
Thanks Karl.

So I am 10 days out now from surgery. My left is great my right not so much.

I have very eye watering groin pain, every move I make especially lateral moves my tendons in my groin feel like they catch. My post op swelling and discomfort are much better it's just the groin pain Im left with. I'm a little worried about it.  How long does this take to subside? My left is almost painless so I'm trying not to compare.  I read of all the problems with groin pain and I worry! I know I'm so early days but due to the groin pain I can't do much still and my walking is v inhibited. I'm icing round the clock.

The Physio says this is unlucky I have this but not that uncommon but thinks will take six weeks to settle down?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat