+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Month Progress Report.  (Read 3167 times)

Quig

6 Month Progress Report.
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:40:11 PM »
I made it! It's truly amazing how the time has sailed by. It's been one hell of a year and I absolutely could NOT be happier with my decision to have my hips resurfaced. Thanks again to Pat and to everyone who contributes their stories. The information on this site is absolutely priceless and I cannot put into words how much I appreciate it.

I've pushed pretty hard during my recovery and had numerous very minor setbacks due to overdoing it. Luckily, I've had no serious problems of any kind. The progress has been very, very consistent and I'd say the 4 month mark was when I really realized how good things were getting. Today, I have very few thoughts about my hips and my main focus is to not push too hard during my recovery...

A couple weeks ago I went on a hike with my girlfriend and my dog. It just so happens it was this same hike that made me decide nearly a year ago to have my hips fixed. Last November the hike really took it's toll on me, it was really, really miserable. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I had absolutely ZERO problems. It's not a crazy difficult hike but not terribly easy either at about a 4 mile loop with a bit over 1,000' of elevation gain. I did it briskly with a big damn smile on my face!

I started back at the gym pretty early and ramped up the workouts pretty quickly following surgery. In the last month or so I've started lightly jogging a bit on the treadmill a couple times a week and have done some light leg workouts at the gym. I pay for them the next day but each is better than the last. My strength keeps on coming back and the running gets easier each session. The most I've done actually running is about 5 minutes at around 7mph on the treadmill and it feels amazing to be able to run again. I also walk at a brisk pace at an incline and also use the stair master and elliptical. I also started mountain biking waaaaaaaay earlier than I probably should have and early on I learned that my muscles just weren't ready. Over the last couple months I've felt a very good response by my body to the rides and now the progress on that front is steady and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I've put in some very decent rides up in the mountains lately, many over 20 miles with around 3,500' of climbing. I'm not near as fast as I was before surgery but I'm getting there and I think by springtime I'm going to really be back in good shape.

My right hip continues to lag behind the left in terms of flexibility but the progress continues. I'm able to easily squat quite low and can easily do lunges with both legs. Now that my restrictions are officially lifted I'll be adding weight to the squats and lunges and see how the muscles react.

It's pretty moving to think about where I was this time last year... I was having a very, very hard time. I spend a lot of time on my feet at work and am extremely active in the gym and on the bike. All of it had become very, very painful. I was miserable most of the time and was a grumpy jerk way too often. Fast forward a year and instead of the continuous deterioration of my hips I'm now feeling better, and better, and better and BETTER! I cannot express how pleased I am to have had these surgeries.

I hope everyone else is doing great and enjoying their new hips also!

Onward and upward!!  8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:42:12 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Ljpviper

Re: 6 Month Progress Report.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
Awesome Quig, I am tempted to try a little jogging myself to test the new hip. I find doing daily exercise helps to keep  the tightness away.

Keep up the reports, nice to see your so much better.

Regards,

Larry 

blinky

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
Go Quig!

So now that the restrictions are lifted, what are you going to do? What are your short and long term goals?

Quig

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
Thanks Larry! Glad to hear things are going well for you too.

Thanks Blinky! And, good question!

My short term goal remains to NOT overdo it. I'm a bit hard-headed and just being careful to not have a set-back is a nearly full time job.  ;)  I'm really enjoying running a little and want to keep it up and start increasing it some. This winter, assuming the Southern Sierras get some decent snow I'd like to try some snow shoeing and/or cross country skiing. We'll see....

My longer term goal at this point is just to get back to where I was pre-surgery as far as my cycling and overall fitness. I ride with a very serious/fast group of mountain bikers and following my surgeries I just can't keep up well. Now that I'm able to really start logging miles I think I can work hard and get back to riding competitively with them. There's also a few races I'll do early next year and one biggie I'd like to do. It's a 100+ mile mostly off-road race that is a true suffer-fest. It's REALLY difficult. Assuming I can keep my progress up over the winter I'd really like to do it again. It's in early February so it'll be about 10 months post surgery which leaves me about 4 months to REALLY get into shape. And, on that note, I'm off to log some miles after work!  8)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
Congratulations on your 6 month anniversary.  I collected your story posts and placed them on the main website.  It is a good story for perspective patients to read.  Continued Good Luck in your progress back to a normal, pain free life.

Your story  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-gross/853-quig-s-bilateral-hip-resurfacing-with-dr-gross-2016

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Quig

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »
Thanks Pat, and THANK YOU for this site. I'm really pleased to have good results and be able to make a positive contribution to the site.  8)

Ljpviper

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »
Hey Quig, hope all is well. Curious as you had the surgery the same week with Dr.Gross. Are you doing lower body weighted exercises ie, squats, lunges, etc?

I think I need to start as I am still doing the basics from the rehab sheets and walking.

regards,

Larry

Quig

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
Sorry Larry, I must have missed your reply and question. I have done squats and lunges and am making good progress with both in terms of weight and range of motion. I've really noticed some significant progress lately. I hope you're doing well also.

Lately I've started riding the mountain bike and the spin bike MUCH harder. I'm still holding out hope to participate in a very long and difficult race in February and am training accordingly.

Ljpviper

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
Thanks, I still get this pesky Psoas issues when I turn up the exercises. I try not to sit too much as that seems to aggravate them as well.

Regards,

Larry

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat