+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: So what's the farthest you've run on Hip?  (Read 4717 times)

CEK001

So what's the farthest you've run on Hip?
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
I am almost 5 years post-op.  I ran marathons pre-hip everything...   For lots of reasons, I've had a few false starts getting back to running post-op.  And truthfully I'm scared shitless to cause any damage to this wonderful hip that has me active again. So I worked slowly on strength and flexibility over the past few years.

But I'm finally here.  Training for the Marine Corp 10K here in DC in 3 weeks.  I did a 7 mile run - slow and steady - last weekend.  But I felt so amazing I'm almost tempted to try something longer than a 10K for next race....

Dare I try a 10 miler?  or a half marathon? 

My fear is ending up with a revision too soon. I'm 48 years old (has surgery at 44) and I'm hoping this hip will last me until almost 60 years old, so the revision after that will be when I'm 80....  :D

So what are people running?  Have you heard anything about the impact of longer distances and life of joint?

Thank you so much!
Christine

blinky

Re: So what's the farthest you've run on Hip?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
I am wondering the same. There are a few superstars out there who have run far on their new hips over a long period of time (i.e. Cory Foulk)and are still doing just fine. My PT found a study that seemed to support the idea of being able to run far, but it was looking at people less than five years out.

And I haven't seen a study that includes women. I am worried that because of my sex and different issues with hormones and bone density that i will be more prone to my parts loosening. I will ask Dr Gross about this when I see him for my one year check up.

I am only running 3-4 miles at a time. My plan right now is to build to 10K distance by spring and see how that feels. I'd like to get up to 13.1, and most days I think that is do-able, but don't know if I will get beyond that or if I dare run that far many times. I have had some set backs, too. My external rotators are weak and that causes me to have some knee pain. I also think my SI joint is too flexible. Because of these issues, I think I need to stay where I am in terms of mileage and try to shore up these weaknesses.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:22:55 AM »
This is something I have pondered too. I am male and been running for 20 years before op so have good bone density and my surgeon said I could return to running after 3 months. On my physios advise, I waited to 4 and then started a run/walk program on the treadmill.

By nine months I was able to race an Olympic distance Triathlon that included a 10k run. It was a little painful but that was due to muscle weakness in the glutes/hamstrings which I have now addressed. I will be 12 months post op later this month and longest run so far is 11.68K with 13k planned this Sunday. I hope to be up to 20k by xmas and have entered a half marathon for February which I intend to race and not just trot round.

I would say if you have no issues in general with the hip and its been 5 years then there shouldn't be any restrictions at all. I would advise:

Speak to your surgeon to get peace of mind before you starting increasing anything
Get your strength assessed by a physio, a muscle weakness like I had can overload other areas
Build up the distance very slowly

Good luck.

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »
Hi Christine, I am nearly 66 so have less to worry about on the joint-life front, but my remaining natural hip is counting down towards replacement in the next couple of years and being frequently stiff and painful. Nevertheless, I started jogging at about 3 months, raced 5k most Saturdays from about 6 months and managed a longest run so far of 13.2 miles (testing half-marathon capability) at 11 months and a few days. No problems, but took a couple of months to get back to 5k race pace so have not repeated the experiment. Raced a 10k at 18 months, fastest for 5 years, but again the recovery took some time. Currently happy to stick to running between 6 - 12k and biking 15 - 30 miles (max 55 this year so far). This is not a recommendation, of course, just history..
Good luck with your running!
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

shoraztri

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:59:51 AM »
Hi Christine,

I took alot of EXTRA precaution regarding running on my BHR, Left side. I waited 6 MONTHS  :)  before attempting running. Although this was "brutally" HARD ON ME - MENTALLY- i am totally convinced that it was the best move ever. Even though my Surgeon had cleared me to Run after 3-4 months , I still waited , as I wanted a lot longer life in my sport of Compeditive Triathlon. It was a full 12 months before I got into serious running, 10km max distance.
We all heal differently, so the best GUIDE IS TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND DO NOT OVER DO IT OR PUSH THE BARROW OUT, ESPECIALLY WHEN PAIN STARTS. ;)
I run approx 2 - 3 times per week , with my longest Run around 11km @ 05:45pkm pace. I find I need to have about 3 days off running, between runs. About to turn a young 65yrs, next year, this plan suits my body and hip very, very well. There is little or no pain at all!!  :D :D 8) .
At the end of the day, it boils down to YOU, and how you feel. Listen closely to your body, and avoid the trap of starting back to early, plus trying to keep up with other hippies stories of early running.  You are still very young, so look after your hip carefully, and you will reap the rewards.  :D
Cheers,
Kiwi Boy Down Under.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
I don't think the smart question for us hippies is how far we can run.  I think it should be how can we minimize our running and still be happy.  I'm a 5 year hippy vet and I've been killing it at short course triathlon, taking 1st in my age group in all 8 races this year.  My hips have been perfectly happy with me running 4 and even 5 days a week as long as I keep my runs under an hour.  I wear Hoka One One shoes (thank you HipnHop) and my runs are usually on a trail. 

This year I wanted to see how it would be to go long again.  I picked Big Sur Trail Half-marathon because the road marathon was my best finish ever, not best time, back in my pre-hippy days.  My whole body didn't like the build up.  My feet hurt, even with new shoes, after the longer 2 hour runs.  Lots of aches and pains from training that I never felt in my younger days. 

So Big Sur got cancelled at the last minute because of the fires and I was lucky to get into the Berkeley Trail Half, a brutal trail run/hike.  Everything was so sore after that it took me twelve days to run comfortable again.  But I'm still paying for it.  On the days I've run, running has felt great but later in the day my whole left hip area goes into spasms.  It starts in the glutes and spreads out from there.  So now I've shut down running again for a little while and in it's place I'm doing all my hip and other stretch and strength exercises.  Maybe for two weeks and then I'll start back slowly to get it back together again.

It's always a challenge but my next sprint tri will be in Naples Fl in December.  Planning another great year next year, keeping it short.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »
I ran the Boston Marathon two years after my hip resurfacing.  I've also done two half marathons and am planning to run another in three weeks.  This Saturday I plan on a 14 mile training run.  I don't even think about the hip anymore (except when I go through metal detectors).  Just use the foam roller every day and get A.R.T. once a month on it.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
Good job Arojo!!!!  What times are you running?

CEK001

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
I am happy to report I just did 2 10K races and a 7.5 mile leg of a team relay over the past 3 weeks and feel amazing!  I am eyeing a half marathon for the spring!!

I am going to see my original orthopedics surgeon to get some PT (not Dr Mont who did my surgery as he moved to Cleveland and I'm in DC). I'm having problems doing any serious hills or bleacher type workouts. I ran the Lincoln memorial steps for a workout recently and ended up having to spend the next week icing. I'm hoping some targeted exercises can get me there.

Arrojo

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
Good job Arojo!!!!  What times are you running?

My times are just as fast (or slow) as they were before surgery, adjusting for age-grading, since I am older now.  My half on Sunday was a 2:04, which age-grades out to a 1:47 or so.  2 years ago, I ran a 1:59; I suspect that's the last time I'll get under 2:00.

Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

phillwad

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:14 PM »
Longest has been a very hilly trail 1/2 marathon on a MTB course.
Good trail just the track was very narrow from MTB wheels - resulted in twisted ankle but no problem with hips.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Arrojo, congratulations keep up the good work  And congratulations to everyone for getting it all back!

CEK001

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
I have been training for two 10 mile races in April and my training is going amazing well.  Ran 10 miles yesterday with absolutely no problems. Hilly courses tend to be much harder for me but other than that, I'm doing great. So great that when a friend asked me to do a marathon with her... I actually considered it. Then I spent some time researching BHR failures and causes. I turn 49 in a few months and would like this hip to last as long as possible.

Thanks everyone for your support!!

chuckm

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »
What did your research reveal?
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat