+-

Author Topic: Muscle groups to strengthen before resurfacing  (Read 1453 times)

Rainmaker

Muscle groups to strengthen before resurfacing
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
Hello! I have been reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post. I am a 46 year old male with an arthritic left hip. I am scheduled for hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross in late January. I have lost 200lbs in the past 2 years and am in pretty good physical condition. My trainer asked me what muscle groups we should focus on now before surgery to help in recovery. Does anyone have any insight into this subject? Thank you for this forum! It has given me hope for a full recovery!

chuckm

Re: Muscle groups to strengthen before resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

My trainer asked me what muscle groups we should focus on now before surgery to help in recovery.

I don't think there is any muscle group to focus on. Overall strength and flexibility is the key. If you have a trainer then I am sure you are already working on core strength.

The fact that you need hip resurfacing means you have muscle imbalances that you will not be able to correct until after the surgery. So focus on the entire body and after surgery you will be able to better focus on the imbalances.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Rainmaker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
Thank you Chuckm! good insight.

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
 :) Yep Rainmaker. Same as Chuck I have found. Once the joint is changed you then have to try and correct the imbalances. This does however take some time. All the best Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
You are going to need upper body strength to get around after you surgery.  Work on upper body and core strength.  Lose weight if you still need to.  Any fitness will help. I remember that I even started running again in the weeks before surgery.  I hadn't run for three years but once surgery got close I figured I had nothing to lose.  It hurt like hell but at that point I figured I had nothing to lose.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats