+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Partial iliopsoas tendon release  (Read 3630 times)

VancouverWA

Partial iliopsoas tendon release
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
I have had BHR in both hips, R hip 2011, L hip 2013.   Since my R hip surgery I have had pain in the area where the iliopsoas tendon runs over the new hip joint.  My doctor tried cortisone injected into the tendon via CSCAN guided needle, but this only provided relieve for about 5 days.  I've had my chromium and cobalt serum levels tested regularly and they remain very low.

I have very sharp pain in this area, especially when I sneeze or stop suddenly.  Also, it can be uncomfortable getting in and out of the car and I don't have the range of motion that I have in my L hip.  Recently, I get pretty severe back pain on the right side of my lower back when I walk regularly, too.

My orthopedic surgeon (he did not perform the surgery, but is handling my outpatient care) has offered to cut the iliopsoas tendon, but I am reluctant to do this based on what I've read on Surface Hippy.  However, I have read about a partial tendon release:  The process involved making small cuts along the tendon such that it elongates the iliopsoas enough to prevent the tendon from rubbing against the BHR joint, but without severing the tendon completely.

Does anyone have experience with this procedure?  If so, any information would be greatly appreciated.  I have an appointment to talk to my orthopedic surgeon at the end of November.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:22:49 PM by VancouverWA »
Right BHR 07/27/2011

einreb

Re: Partial iliopsoas tendon release
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
I'm sorry that you are in pain.

I don't have any experience with the procedure, but had some significant psoas tendon issues and did a good bit of PT that also included iliopsoas stretchs during my recovery.

I was absolutely amazed at what a good physical therapist was able to do. I guess my point is to thoroughly investigate non-surgical options if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:21:36 PM by einreb »
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

VancouverWA

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »

Thanks einreb; I appreciate your advice.  I belong to Kaiser Permanente in the Portland, OR area and the PT I've experienced previously has been lacking.  I'm open to PT outside of Kaiser, so if anyone could recommend a PT in the Vancouver WA/Portland OR area I would greatly appreciate it!

"I was absolutely amazed at what a good physical therapist was able to do. I guess my point is to thoroughly investigate non-surgical options if you haven't already."
Right BHR 07/27/2011

vonhouser

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
I had a TON of problems with my iliopsoas tendon after my failed labral tear surgery. It's really painful.

I did prolotherapy and platelet rich plasma therapy and it helped a lot.

I guess I assume you tried resting it for a couple of weeks?
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

VancouverWA

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
Vonhouser, yes I periodically have to rest to make the pain subside.  I walked a half marathon a few years ago and thought I was going to die afterward.

Have you had any luck with PT or swimming?

Thanks, Tom

"I had a TON of problems with my iliopsoas tendon after my failed labral tear surgery. It's really painful.

I did prolotherapy and platelet rich plasma therapy and it helped a lot.

I guess I assume you tried resting it for a couple of weeks?"
Right BHR 07/27/2011

vonhouser

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
PT was never any help at all. Because it was torn, so stretching and strengthening wouldn't do it. I'm sure my arthritis and such also made it worse.

The prolo and PRP really did the trick, though it took a few months.

49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat