+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 Year HR Anniversary with Dr. Marwin 2011  (Read 1766 times)

Woodstock Hippy

5 Year HR Anniversary with Dr. Marwin 2011
« on: November 15, 2016, 06:44:52 AM »
Wow, does time fly when you're having fun.  I had my bilateral surgery with Dr Scott Marwin on 11/15/11.  Being bilateral, I was able to stay at NYU Langone for nine days total having PT three times a day.  On the ninth day I surprised my wife by walking out of the hospital using just one cane.  I was able to open the car door and get in with no help.  I had retired from working as a Union Carpenter in NYC on September 10 and I spent the first six months working on my rehab.  Feeling great, my next thing was to put two additions on my house; a garage with a big attick for storage on one side and a 16 x 16 ft sunroom with a stone fireplace on the other.

Next it was time to start racing again.  My first race was a 5k Thanksgiving race where I got 3rd in my age group. Yahoo, I'm back.  Next was a sprint triathlon in Haleiwa, Hi where I finished 4th in age group.  Then in a mountain bike crash,  I tore a glute tendon.  This gradually caused my to lose strength in my left side. After another stint in PT I got back to short course triathlon racing and it has all been great.  This year I went 8 for 8, 1st in age group in short course triathlon.

I finished this year with a half marathon mountain trail race in California.  It was brutal, steep, one uphill was over 15% grade and over a mile long, hikes up followed by brutal pounding runs back down; over and over.  I thought I had trained to run a 2 hour half marathon and I finished this monster in 2:45.  Over the next week I kept getting more sore.  When I went for a massage, 8 or so days later, my quads and glutes were still sore to the touch.  About three weeks ago, I realized that I had no strength to lift my knees and I've been working on that every day.  I'll finally get back to racing with a Christmas 5k race and a sprint triathon the first week of January.

This has been an great five years.  I wouldn't have been possible without these shiney new hips of mine.  Without the Birmingham hips, I'd probably be in a wheel chair by now, sitting in front of the tv all day.  Birmingham Hip Resurfacing has definately given me my life back. 

Thank you Pat for this great website.  I never would have found out about resurfacing without SurfaceHippy!!!   Thanks to Dr Marwin for the great surgery, the staff at NYU Langone for taking such good care of me,  Pro PT in Garden City, Long Island; they got me back together twice! And to my wife Michelle, who retired two years ago, for sharing this great retirement with me and for all our time together!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:10:44 AM by Pat Walter »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Five year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
Happy Anniversary and many, many more.  Thank You for sharing your story so others can learn about hip resurfacing and what is possible.  I wish you the best of luck in all your future races.  You have accomplished a lot!  Keep in touch and Good Luck for many more years with those shiny new hips!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »
Congrats, Woodstock - I'm glad you've gotten so much good in the past five years. Many more to come!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

shoraztri

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:57:52 AM »
Big Congratulations there Woodstock Hippie. You keep on inspiring all of us Hippies that there is plenty of life in the tank, after Hip surgery.
Keep cranking out those distance and times, and all the Best for Success in your Triathlons.  :D
Cheers.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear